This quote says it all...

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:19 pm

RayNAustin wrote:letting Landry go was much more costly than they anticipated, as he made the Pro Bowl this year ... and for a team like the Redskins hurting badly in the secondary, that one stings pretty bad.

That was as much Landry's decision as it was Shanahan's. I'm guessing Laron wishes he still was on the team, now, too. :lol:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:44 pm

RayNAustin wrote:This past off season personnel moves really stand out now ... not just at QB, because it did not take genius to choose RG3 ... but Morris and Cousins are clearly terrific picks, and credit is given when credit is due. Overall, the offensive transformation is more than just impressive .. it's miraculous. Garcon was a nice move too.

No doubt, man. I bet even Shanahan would admit he couldn't have predicted how good Morris would end up being. I think I heard him say something recently along the lines of "I wasn't THAT smart. I waited until the sixth round to draft him!" haha.

Definitely have to give him credit on Cousins though, especially because he took SO much crap for that from all of the know-it-all's out there.

I know people label him stubborn, etc; But I like that the Coach has his plan and his beliefs, and the courage of his convictions. Its paying off for us.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:22 am

It's not whether you make mistakes...no one is perfecton the first try. It's whether and how you fix the mistakes.

Shanahan swallowed the mistakes, cut the dead wood, and moved on.

That is good coaching.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:53 am

Deadskins wrote:
RayNAustin wrote:letting Landry go was much more costly than they anticipated, as he made the Pro Bowl this year ... and for a team like the Redskins hurting badly in the secondary, that one stings pretty bad.

That was as much Landry's decision as it was Shanahan's. I'm guessing Laron wishes he still was on the team, now, too. :lol:

To an extent I agree here, but all in all the skins could have had LL back if they wanted. It was my understanding it was a $$$ thing.

Last year, I was 100% for getting him back, but after hearing him talk about the Jets and their situation, I believe there was something to the whole "lockeroom" problems people eluded to regarding LL.

He's absolutely a good player, but I wonder what affect he would have had on the skins lockeroom vibe -- especially when we were 3-6...
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby 44diesel » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:10 am

markshark84 wrote:He's absolutely a good player, but I wonder what affect he would have had on the skins lockeroom vibe -- especially when we were 3-6...
Indeed, this is the biggest change the Shannaclan has imposed on this team.

Listening to the players talk about what changed during the bye week, it was their team mentality. They stuck together, believed in each other and came out trusting that if they played as a team, no one could beat them.

For too long, we were simply trying to fill the team with "talent." I'd rather have a team of non household names that play together rather than for their stats.

We learned that lesson the hard way, Philly is now finding out all about it.
"Givin'em the Business!"

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:16 am

markshark84 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

To an extent I agree here, but all in all the skins could have had LL back if they wanted. It was my understanding it was a $$$ thing.

You mean they didn't want to pony up the $$$ for a guy they weren't sure would be healthy enough to play?

I'm happy for LL that he was able to come back this season, but he was by no means a sure thing.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:59 am

44diesel wrote:
markshark84 wrote:He's absolutely a good player, but I wonder what affect he would have had on the skins lockeroom vibe -- especially when we were 3-6...

It wasn't Shanny. It was all RGIII.

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:07 pm

riggofan wrote:
markshark84 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

You mean they didn't want to pony up the $$$ for a guy they weren't sure would be healthy enough to play?

I'm happy for LL that he was able to come back this season, but he was by no means a sure thing.

Exactly! He wouldn't get the surgery team doctors were recommending, so the $$$ didn't match the risk. Yes, we could have had him back, but it was his decision not to get the surgery, so he pretty much made the choice for us.

Hail to the Redskins!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:52 pm

Not to mention the attitude problems and locker room cancer issues that were pretty easily traceable to LL. Even with our poor secondary play this year I have no regrets with respect to Landry. Happy he gave us a season and a half of good play, but glad to see him gone, too.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby 44diesel » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:13 pm

Deadskins wrote:
44diesel wrote:

You are correct DS, it was absolutely RGIII that talked to the team and led the revolution (and was named Captain). All I was trying to point out that this FO has weeded out the Hanesworths, Landrys and (even though it was on them) the McNabbs that were killing the locker room.

They built a team based on character and that character has brought about the change.

This team doesn't seem to ever get down on each other or look for blame. Our sideline doesn't implode when the team is behind. They lead by example, stay humble and poised, and step up when someone goes down. (i.e. Rob Jackson, Kirk Cousins or the noticeable difference in the secondary after Merriweather got on the field)
"Givin'em the Business!"

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:34 pm

44diesel wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
44diesel wrote:

You are correct DS, it was absolutely RGIII that talked to the team and led the revolution (and was named Captain).

And the Coach had nothing to do with any of this? :roll:

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:50 pm

riggofan wrote:
44diesel wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
44diesel wrote:

You are correct DS, it was absolutely RGIII that talked to the team and led the revolution (and was named Captain).

And the Head Coach had nothing to do with any of this? :roll:

We are where we are because of Mike
- he 'persuaded' Snyder to bring in Bruce Allen by indicating that whomever was the HC, he would need a good GM
- then Mike came in to be both a part of the FO and the HC

Mike Shanahan has transformed this franchise

SURE - they made some mistakes but they are the guys that are PRIMARILY responsible for us being in the playoffs this season

The players have done an incredible job and made a HUGE effort to play beyond their own capabilities these past 7 games

The players have done great but Mike & Bruce brought them here and got rid of the guys that did not 'want it' badly enough

we are also VERY fortunate that the IDIOT owner stayed away and let these guys do their thing
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

ch1

Re: This quote says it all...

Postby crazyhorse1 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:33 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
Mike Shanahan wrote:"Just look," he said, pointing to the labels. "We've cut 150 players since I got here and only one of them is starting for another team -- Carlos Rogers in San Francisco. We've got a whole new team."

- This is why you don't release a coach after 2 years...

- This is why you don't compare him to other coaches and what they're doing. Show me another coach in this league that's had to overcome what Mike has. Show me another coaches that's had to cut 150 players in the time frame he has had to.

- Thank you Dan for sticking to your guns and getting a football mind in here.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/47634/shanahans-stunning-redskins-turnaround

Chris Clemons, Seahawks

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:06 pm

I think Clemons was with the Eagles when Shanahan got here...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:06 pm

riggofan wrote:
44diesel wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
44diesel wrote:

And the Coach had nothing to do with any of this? :roll:

Nope. You don't remember his "evaluate the talent for next year" presser? RGIII called a players only meeting. It had nothing to do with Shanny, other than 44diesel's point about weeding out the bad eggs. But the team coming together at the bye week is all on RGIII.

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football