Trade Cousins

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:02 pm

If somebody offers a kevin kolb type deal, or anything close to that. Otherwise no.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

JSPB22

Re: Trade Cousins

Postby Deadskins » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:30 pm

markshark84 wrote:GMs won't put 1st AND 2nd value on a player that hasn't shown (not by his own doing, more because he hasn't had the opportunity, but nonetheless) more consistency. For a GM to give up that kind of value, the trade has to be 100% guaranteed. KC being a top QB is far from guaranteed.

A desperate team MAYBE would give up a first or 2 seconds (and most likely want another player thrown in), but I don't see us getting 1 & 2 or 2 1s for KC. If any GM is the league were willing to do that, I would try to get exclusive/priority trading rights with him.

It's not that far fetched. It's happened several times in the past few years. Kolb, Flynn (he was a FA, but still generated plenty of interest after a single great start), Cassel (to a lesser extent, because he played almost an entire season), and it also happened with Matt Schaub (Atlanta traded 1sts with Houston, and got two 2nds for a player who had played in 6 games). Good QBs go for a premium in the NFL.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

swine

Postby JiveTurkee » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:18 am

I said it earlier in the year. It was a good move. Good insurance in case RG3 gets hurt. If Cousins does well only after a few games, some team will offer too much for him and would benefit the Redskins.

Win win for Shanahan.

It's not that far fetched. It's happened several times in the past few years. Kolb, Flynn (he was a FA, but still generated plenty of interest after a single great start), Cassel (to a lesser extent, because he played almost an entire season), and it also happened with Matt Schaub (Atlanta traded 1sts with Houston, and got two 2nds for a player who had played in 6 games). Good QBs go for a premium in the NFL.

Rob Johnson for the Jaguars and then picked up by the Bills and Scott Mitchell for the Dolphins, then picked up by the Lions are some earlier examples in the 90s

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:27 am

crazyhorse1 wrote:
Bob 0119 wrote:You don't trade Cousins

You listen politely to offers before turning down anything less than a first rounder and hope for a bidding war. Lots of teams need a QB and this year seems to have a limited amount of starting quality QBs.

Doesn't mean there aren't any potential back-up QBs in there

Without Cousins,

We're probably not in the playoffs and maybe 8 and 8 instead of 10-6. Naturally, some of the geniuses here want to trade him. Dummy that I am, I wouldn't trade him, not even for a no. 1. For starters, it sends the wrong message, as in: Do well here and we'll use you as trade bait. Let him get limited action for a few years and extend his career. Remember Steve Young?

Sure you don't shop him around...

Doesn't mean you don't answer the phone when it rings.

Message? RGIII is our guy...until he isn't; then you're our guy

Or

You've got the talent to be paid as a starter. Not just to sit here holding a clipboard hoping RGIII gets hurt

I am confident Bruce Allen could turn one high first round pick into five total picks in a single draft. It's the best position to be in. You don't need to trade him. You don't want to trade him, so anyone that comes knocking better be ready to pay top dollar.
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

Re: Trade Cousins

Postby yupchagee » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:33 am

Deadskins wrote:
markshark84 wrote:GMs won't put 1st AND 2nd value on a player that hasn't shown (not by his own doing, more because he hasn't had the opportunity, but nonetheless) more consistency. For a GM to give up that kind of value, the trade has to be 100% guaranteed. KC being a top QB is far from guaranteed.

A desperate team MAYBE would give up a first or 2 seconds (and most likely want another player thrown in), but I don't see us getting 1 & 2 or 2 1s for KC. If any GM is the league were willing to do that, I would try to get exclusive/priority trading rights with him.

Charlie Whirehurst went for a 2nd. I don't think he had even thrown a pass in a real game.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:33 am

Erm, let's NOT trade Cousins?
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

~~~~~

Postby Warmother » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:15 am

UK Skins Fan wrote:Erm, let's NOT trade Cousins?

Ahh yeah, let's just keep him around for a while. Maybe next year or the one after that.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:11 am

Kirk Cousins is staying here until the guys in charge decide it's in the best interests of the team to trade him

NOTHING has changed :lol:
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:12 am

Luckily Cousins is supposed to be on this team for 3 more years. I'd keep him that entire time.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:25 am

say what ... :lol:
Last edited by SkinsJock on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby grampi » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:26 am

With RG3's health in question I'd say it would a take A LOT to trade him....

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:42 am

grampi wrote:With RG3's health in question I'd say it would a take A LOT to trade him....

Who could we get that would be better to start next year (if Griffin isn't ready ot go) over Cousins? I say absolutely no to any trade offer.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:09 am

SkinsJock wrote:Kirk Cousins is staying here until the guys in charge decide it's in the best interests of the team to trade him

NOTHING has changed :lol:

Nothing tangible has changed. But maybe the perspective from which many people view our backup QB has changed. Nothing like a cold wet slap in the face to focus a few minds on reality.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog

Postby grampi » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:25 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:
grampi wrote:With RG3's health in question I'd say it would a take A LOT to trade him....

Who could we get that would be better to start next year (if Griffin isn't ready ot go) over Cousins? I say absolutely no to any trade offer.

No one. That's why I said they won't be looking at trading him....we've already seen how well Kirk can play as well....

Hog

Postby RayNAustin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:47 pm

You people need water filters up there, or something. maybe a discount coupon for group therapy.

Let's see .... our starting QB has just had major surgery, and this seems like the perfect time to trade our backup QB ?

What the heck are you all thinking? Scratch that ... not thinking ... what are you all drinking?

I swear to God ... it goes from crazy to insane faster than a Top Fuel Dragster around here. :shock:

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football