Rob Jackson: re-sign the man

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Rob Jackson: re-sign the man

Postby tribeofjudah » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:45 pm

This is ANOTHER diamond in the rough that we groomed. Now he's turning out to be a Force to be reckoned with ....

It's his last season on contract and I say: sign him up and pay the man...!!!!

Jackson entered this season in the final year of his contract, hoping to earn more of a regular role. At times during training camp, Haslett called plays that included Orakpo, left outside linebacker Ryan Kerrigan and Jackson on the field at the same time. Then, Jackson received his biggest opportunity of his career with Orakpo lost in Week 2.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/re ... s_redskins
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

piggie

Postby burgngold4life » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:45 pm

I agree we need to re-sign Rob for sure.

He's come along a great deal.

Definitely stepped up in Rak's absence.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:01 pm

burgngold4life wrote:I agree we need to re-sign Rob for sure.

I don't think we will be able to pay him with the Mara cap hit. Jackson is going to ear a really big pay check from someone.

Personally I think he is a better overall OLB than Orakpo. Orakpo is a better pass rusher, but Jackson is better at everything else.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:58 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:

I don't think we will be able to pay him with the Mara cap hit. Jackson is going to ear a really big pay check from someone.

Personally I think he is a better overall OLB than Orakpo. Orakpo is a better pass rusher, but Jackson is better at everything else.

No way in hell Orakpo makes that INT that Rob had to save the Dallas game!

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:10 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:

I would guess you're right that we probably wouldn't pay ridiculous money for Rob Jackson if he got some crazy offers elsewhere. Barring that situation though, I think we can free up enough cap space to hold on to a guy like Jackson. There are a couple big contracts that can be restructured this year (Trent Williams). D. Hall is also a huge chunk of money that is going to have to be dealt with one way or another.

And I hate to bring this up, but London Fletcher is a couple million $$s too. What do you do if its a choice between him and Rob Jackson? That could be a tough call.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:44 am

Rob Jackson has played really well for us this year. It is unreal considering what he was just a couple years ago.

Had he not made that INT this past Sunday, I'm not sure we'd be in the playoffs. We need to get him back --- the contract price and PT will be tricky. Rob may look elsewhere seeing that he won't be a starter here next season. If he is okay with his reserve role, he should be a top priority. BUT, if I were Jackson, I would sit down with our FO and see what their plans would be. If it wasn't a starter, I would see what teams would sign me (and pay) as a starter.
Last edited by markshark84 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:44 am

riggofan wrote:And I hate to bring this up, but London Fletcher is a couple million $$s too. What do you do if its a choice between him and Rob Jackson? That could be a tough call.

Not tough at all. London stays if he does not decide to retire. No question about it.

Some contracts will be restructured. Count on it.
:wink:
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:26 am

Redskin in Canada wrote:
riggofan wrote:And I hate to bring this up, but London Fletcher is a couple million $$s too. What do you do if its a choice between him and Rob Jackson? That could be a tough call.

Not tough at all. London stays if he does not decide to retire. No question about it.

Some contracts will be restructured. Count on it.
:wink:

I think you're right about the contracts being restructured. And I'm sure others can comment on this, but my take on the salary cap is that we'll be in OK shape, just not a ton of space to go on any wild spending sprees.

Not sure I agree that it would be "no question" that you hold on to your 37 year old LB if it meant losing your 27 year old LB though.

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-w ... ualty-2013
London Fletcher - It's hard to fathom the Redskins cutting the captain loose but, as they say, it's a business. His 2013 salary is a whopping $5.5 million and, clearly, his productivity is in decline. The Redskins could decide to move on from Fletcher, who will be 38 before next season starts, and make Keenan Robinson the starter. There would be $1.75 million of dead cap if they released him before June 1, leaving net cap savings of $3.75 million.

Hog

Postby 44diesel » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:36 am

I was thinking about this team PF (post Fletcher). He is certainly no spring chicken and has been playing hurt quite a bit this year. Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely love having him out there. He's by far our field general on defense and still goes all out week after week injured or not. Whether it's pregame pep talks, audibles, or completely taking over play calling on hurry ups and 2 minute drills. Fletcher is the heart and soul of our D.

That being said, if we run the table, I could see him considering retiring. Regardless, I think his current contract is his last.

My question is, with our current LB corp. who goes where? With Kerrigan, Orakpo (once he's back), Rob Jackson, Perry Riley, Lorenzo Alexander, Bryan Kehl, Roderick Muckelroy, Keenan Robinson, and Chris Wilson what would be your depth chart at LB? What about moving Jackson to the middle since he's better in pass coverage?

LOLB - Orakpo, Jackson
MLB - Alexander, Riley, Robinson, Wilson, Muckelroy
ROLB - Kerrigan, Kehl

I'd also love to see the team bring in Fletcher as a coach once he decides to hang up the cleats. My 2 cents
"Givin'em the Business!"

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:10 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:

Until Orakpo's injury, it was reported that Haslett intended to use a sets with all three OLB's on the field. Jackson has improved tremendously, enough that losing Orakpo was not the disaster that we anticipated. I think they will find a way to keep him...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:53 pm

A call we wouldn't have to make. They play different positions.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Postby yupchagee » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:09 am

London Fletcher - It's hard to fathom the Redskins cutting the captain loose but, as they say, it's a business. His 2013 salary is a whopping $5.5 million and, clearly, his productivity is in decline. The Redskins could decide to move on from Fletcher, who will be 38 before next season starts, and make Keenan Robinson the starter. There would be $1.75 million of dead cap if they released him before June 1, leaving net cap savings of $3.75 million.

Thi season: 139 tackles, 3 sacks, 4 int's & 11 PD's. Everyone should be in such decline!

LOLB - Orakpo, Jackson
ROLB - Kerrigan, Kehl

Wilson plays OLB. I think Kehl plays inside.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Postby skinsfan#33 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:02 am

yupchagee wrote:

Thi season: 139 tackles, 3 sacks, 4 int's & 11 PD's. Everyone should be in such decline!

LOLB - Orakpo, Jackson
ROLB - Kerrigan, Kehl

Wilson plays OLB. I think Kehl plays inside.

London had five picks, not four. Three of them game over the last four games. In fact I feel he played better as the season went along, even with him dealing with a bad ankle.

I think he wil and should be back next season.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:23 pm

Deadskins wrote:

A call we wouldn't have to make. They play different positions.

You're not serious, are you? Good grief.

I'm talking about the cap space issue. Not keeping Rob Jackson to play Fletcher's position. If it came down to money, and you can only afford to keep one of them, which one would you keep.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:38 pm

Jackson is a good player. He looks like he could play Inside LB as well. He does everything well, but is especially good in coverage. He's not the greatest pass rusher, but he's effective. Definitely re-sign him.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football