Seattle @ Washington preview analyses

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
~~~~~~

Seattle @ Washington preview analyses

Postby Redskin in Canada » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:43 am

This thread is intended to compile the most interesting game analyses posted as articles or video in the media plus your comments and views about them and the game.

So far:

Break It Down, Wild-Card Weekend preview: Seattle’s secondary vs. RGIII

Rookie Bowl: Russell Wilson and RG3 face off

The 'Mad Scientist' Jim Haslett's ever-changing schemes are a vital factor in the Redskins' success
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:49 am

It's weird, I feel oddly confident about this game. Weird. Weird.

Key to success -

1. Stopping the run, duh.

2. Containing Wilson in the pocket and bringing him down when we hands on him. He's like Romo if Romo didn't throw interceptions.

3. Our passing game has to show up next week and compliment the run game.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

piggie

Postby burgngold4life » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:35 pm

U should hear the poop talk I'm getting from these Seattle fans.

My dad was born and raised out there and he's die hard Hawks.. saying it will be close but our offense will struggle late.

Iono.. it'll be a tough match but I think we got em'.

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:45 pm

Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:47 pm

We will win, I am more confident about this game than when we played the Browns with Cousins.
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:00 pm

Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Postby Silnwest » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:31 pm

Here are a couple good blog posts from a Seahawks blogger that are well-written. The first is making a case for the Redskins and the 2nd is the blogger letting a bit of his homerism in.

http://www.hawkblogger.com/2013/01/the- ... ctory.html

http://www.hawkblogger.com/2013/01/firs ... tough.html

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:34 am

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:06 pm

I expect this game to look like the season opener against the Saints.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:25 pm

The Hogster wrote:I expect this game to look like the season opener against the Saints.

WOW :shock: hopefully you're sharing that stuff
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "the things we’re doing are things he’s comfortable with & complement his strengths"

Hog

Postby RayNAustin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:04 pm

Though Seattle has put up some impressive performances against some very good teams, I cannot agree at all with the "experts" who are all raving about them, most picking Seattle over the Skins as if they were New England playing the Chiefs.

Here are the keys as I see them:

1) Seattle's defense has carried that team to it's 11-5 record, while they've lost games to inferior teams on the road. Holding opponents to 15 points per game is best in the NFL .... 9 points better than the Redskin defense, BUT ... in that regard, 11-5 is not so impressive, because with that type of defensive support, the Redskins might be 16-0 right now .... certainly better than 11-5. And I don't see Seattle holding the Redskin offense to a low number, because I don't think they can stop the run game of the Skins.

2) The Redskin offense has shown the ability to adapt to what defenses try to do to stop them .... for example, the two wins against the Cowboys were two totally different attacks ... the first win was through the air, and 4 TD passes ... the second win was all on the ground, and Seattle has weakness against the run. When they played the Vikes, Peterson gashed them for 189 yards, and Miami ran well against them too. So I expect Morris to have a big game against them, and if they stack the box to stop it, RG3 will burn them down field.

3) The strength of Seattle's defense is pass defense, and their two big physical CBs who dominate receivers, and take passing options away on the outside ... but that's a more effective scheme against big physical dominating receivers like a Dez Bryant, or Andre Johnson .... while the Redskin receivers are speed guys, which match up better against such big physical, aggressive corners. We have Garcon, Robinson, and Moss (the king of the double move) that I think can get deep on that secondary, particularly if they have to cheat up to stop Morris/RG3 running. You can bet that Seattle will be game planning based on our predominant run scheme employed against Dallas last week, but they may wind up seeing the Redskin offense that beat the Cowboys through the air in the 1st game. There are few teams that have shown the ability to dominate through the air AND on the ground, as the Skin's offense has been able to do ALL YEAR .... even with Cousins in there.

4) The Redskin defense is not the same defense that played the first 9 games this season .. and Hasslett has managed to get these guys to eliminate the many coverage breakdowns that plagued this group before. And they have been improving each week for the past 7, and looked at their best last week against the Cowboy offense that entered the game on a roll. Over the first 9 games, the defense gave up an average of 27.5 points a game, while that number has improved to 20 points/g over the last 7. That's a huge improvement. Last week, they had Romo guessing all day, and as good as Russell Wilson may be, he's still a rookie, and the complex looks and disguises Hasslett employs is going to cause some indecision and mistakes. Given that Seattle's offense has relied on the running of Lynch to help Wilson ... the run defense of the Redskins is our strength, and might have a better time stopping him than some other opponents Seattle has faced, putting most of the pressure on the Rookie to carry the load.

While everyone seems so enamored with Seattle's vaunted defense, and with many elevating Wilson to being an equal of RG3, I'm not drinking the kool-aide. They may be very good, but they have struggled mightily on the road this year, and I think the Redskins offense is going to give them fits, and they will not be able to dominate defensively like they are used to doing. That's going to put that much more pressure on Wilson, and we'll just have to wait and see how he responds.

The Skins win this one by two scores, much to the chagrin of NFL analysts who refuse to give the Redskins credit due.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:11 pm

RayNAustin wrote:Though Seattle has put up some impressive performances against some very good teams, I cannot agree at all with the "experts" who are all raving about them, most picking Seattle over the Skins as if they were New England playing the Chiefs.

Here are the keys as I see them:

1) Seattle's defense has carried that team to it's 11-5 record, while they've lost games to inferior teams on the road. Holding opponents to 15 points per game is best in the NFL .... 9 points better than the Redskin defense, BUT ... in that regard, 11-5 is not so impressive, because with that type of defensive support, the Redskins might be 16-0 right now .... certainly better than 11-5. And I don't see Seattle holding the Redskin offense to a low number, because I don't think they can stop the run game of the Skins.

2) The Redskin offense has shown the ability to adapt to what defenses try to do to stop them .... for example, the two wins against the Cowboys were two totally different attacks ... the first win was through the air, and 4 TD passes ... the second win was all on the ground, and Seattle has weakness against the run. When they played the Vikes, Peterson gashed them for 189 yards, and Miami ran well against them too. So I expect Morris to have a big game against them, and if they stack the box to stop it, RG3 will burn them down field.

3) The strength of Seattle's defense is pass defense, and their two big physical CBs who dominate receivers, and take passing options away on the outside ... but that's a more effective scheme against big physical dominating receivers like a Dez Bryant, or Andre Johnson .... while the Redskin receivers are speed guys, which match up better against such big physical, aggressive corners. We have Garcon, Robinson, and Moss (the king of the double move) that I think can get deep on that secondary, particularly if they have to cheat up to stop Morris/RG3 running. You can bet that Seattle will be game planning based on our predominant run scheme employed against Dallas last week, but they may wind up seeing the Redskin offense that beat the Cowboys through the air in the 1st game. There are few teams that have shown the ability to dominate through the air AND on the ground, as the Skin's offense has been able to do ALL YEAR .... even with Cousins in there.

4) The Redskin defense is not the same defense that played the first 9 games this season .. and Hasslett has managed to get these guys to eliminate the many coverage breakdowns that plagued this group before. And they have been improving each week for the past 7, and looked at their best last week against the Cowboy offense that entered the game on a roll. Over the first 9 games, the defense gave up an average of 27.5 points a game, while that number has improved to 20 points/g over the last 7. That's a huge improvement. Last week, they had Romo guessing all day, and as good as Russell Wilson may be, he's still a rookie, and the complex looks and disguises Hasslett employs is going to cause some indecision and mistakes. Given that Seattle's offense has relied on the running of Lynch to help Wilson ... the run defense of the Redskins is our strength, and might have a better time stopping him than some other opponents Seattle has faced, putting most of the pressure on the Rookie to carry the load.

While everyone seems so enamored with Seattle's vaunted defense, and with many elevating Wilson to being an equal of RG3, I'm not drinking the kool-aide. They may be very good, but they have struggled mightily on the road this year, and I think the Redskins offense is going to give them fits, and they will not be able to dominate defensively like they are used to doing. That's going to put that much more pressure on Wilson, and we'll just have to wait and see how he responds.

The Skins win this one by two scores, much to the chagrin of NFL analysts who refuse to give the Redskins credit due.

+1
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:12 pm

I'm kind of liking how many media people seem to be picking the Seahawks. I swear on Mike & Mike today they were ranking the playoff QBs and had Russell Wilson ranked like 3d or 4th with RGIII the 7th. CRAZY TALK.

We can go through the whole playoffs as underdogs and I will be completely happy.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:24 pm

I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:33 pm

riggofan wrote:I'm kind of liking how many media people seem to be picking the Seahawks. I swear on Mike & Mike today they were ranking the playoff QBs and had Russell Wilson ranked like 3d or 4th with RGIII the 7th. CRAZY TALK.

We can go through the whole playoffs as underdogs and I will be completely happy.

It seems that the media and many fans just do not 'want' to give this group any credit for what they've done over the last few weeks

I understand what Seattle has done but I think they have a better defense and special teams than we do ... both offenses are getting the job done

I think that most fans and the media do not fully understand that this is no longer about who has the 'best' defense or the 'best' offense or what they've done recently ...

this game is going to come down to our defense keeping us in the game and their defense NOT being able to keep up with our offense

the defensive front 4 of the giants and the cowboys defense are not exactly bad and our offense controlled both of those units

sure they'll have great special teams plays but I don't think the special teams play is going to affect what Kyle & RG3 are able to do
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "the things we’re doing are things he’s comfortable with & complement his strengths"

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football