Any and All News About RG3's Knee - Merged

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:15 pm

Orthapedic surgeon on ESPN980 in DC today called in and said his opinion is that a ligament is clearly torn.

He said worst case scenario would be:

Torn ACL & MCL with a bone bruise requiring a complete repair of the knee. He'd be out for 12 months.

He said best case scenario is:

Torn MCL

He'd be out 6-8 months.

He said that based on the photographs that he would say that there's almost certainly a torn ligament, maybe more. He said he could tell by how he fell in addition to the bending. Says that a process called 'reflexion' sp? occurred with his quad when a ligament tears. Says the thigh muscles naturally release when a ligament tears and the leg goes dead.

When asked what a safe bet for his return was by Steve Czaban, the doctor said September or October if he doesn't need a complete restructure.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:21 pm

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2 ... ns-qb-2013

If partial, that is very good news, but still it is not certain in any respect. This is all hearsay.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:29 pm

The Washington Post is reporting partial tears of the ACL & LCL which could be good news. This is on the MRI that was done last night. He's having a more complete exam today. A medical consultant says that the difference is that Dr. Andrews will be able to inject some dye into the knee that illuminates the MRI image and shows a more detailed picture of all of the fibres of each ligament. After that he'll know exactly what is what. I'm praying for RGIII. He is a gallant player who doesn't deserve misfortune from being courage.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/01/07/robert-griffin-iii-has-partial-tears-of-acl-and-lcl-mri-suggests/?hpid=z1

The MRI exam of Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III’s right knee suggested that Griffin has suffered partial tears of his anterior cruciate and lateral collateral ligaments, according to several people with knowledge of the test results.
Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan
said Griffin is scheduled to be examined Tuesday in Pensacola, Fla., by orthopedic surgeon James Andrews to determine whether the test results show new or previous injuries.
It was not immediately clear whether surgery would be required or how long Griffin would be sidelined if the partial ligament tears are determined to be fresh injuries. Griffin suffered a torn ACL in the same knee in 2009 while he was in college at Baylor, and has been playing in recent weeks with a mild sprain of the LCL.
One person with knowledge of the situation said Griffin might have to undergo exploratory surgery to determine the extent of the damage and whether the injuries are new. Another said Griffin hopes to avoid full-blown reconstructive surgery if the tears are partial, even if they are new injuries.
A third person familiar with the case, asked whether the ligament damage is new or a matter of previous injuries showing up on Griffin’s MRI, said: “That’s what we’re trying to find out.”
Shanahan said at his news conference Monday at Redskins Park that he didn’t know the extent of the damage to Griffin’s knee or how long it will take the quarterback, who just completed his rookie season, to recover. Shanahan said it was unclear whether Griffin will play in the Pro Bowl, to which he was elected, or be ready to participate in the team’s offseason workouts and practices.

Griffin underwent an MRI exam after his knee buckled in the fourth quarter of Sunday’s 24-14 playoff loss to the Seattle Seahawks at FedEx Field and he left the field for good. Shanahan said the results of that exam are open to interpretation because of Griffin’s previous injuries.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

cleg

Postby cleg » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:10 pm

Why would it matter if the partial tears are old or new? I don't understand the relevancy of that, a tear is a tear, right?
Drinking the Kool-Aid again...

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:13 pm

Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:35 pm

The Hogster wrote: I'm praying for RGIII. He is a gallant player who doesn't deserve misfortune from being courage.

"Gallant"... rarely used... but completely appropriate. This is what you WANT your quarterback to do... "I'm fine. Don't pull me... I can still do this... I'm HURT, not INJURED... I'm the quarterback... if I can walk, I need to be there"

Tough young man... hope his injury is not severe... and that he recovers quickly. He is the future. He will be back... with an improved defense... and stronger legs.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:38 pm

I do find it interesting that we are hearing "LCL" tear, when it was the Medial Collateral ligament that was so stretched in that attempt to handle the bad snap. whaddupwidat???
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby funsho2 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:48 pm

I just hope its nothing compare to derek rose's injury

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:18 pm

Unfortunately, the expert, who worked with Dr. Andrews, seems to favour the worst scenario but there is hope that the best scenario might be in place.

Keep my fingers crossed. Better yet, let us pray for the best.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:44 pm

One side note: Dan Snyder is flying to Pensacola with Robert Griffin. As many bad things as I have said about The Danny (and thought worse), this seems like just the right time and way for the owner to be involved.

Meanwhile, I'm not guessing about the degree of injury. Better to wait until Dr Andrews has finished the examination. It's not like my guessing matters.

If Kirk Cousins is the starter for a season, so be it. We will keep Robert GRiffin III in our thoughts, and hail the Redskins.

Hog

Postby RayNAustin » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:46 pm

Countertrey wrote:I do find it interesting that we are hearing "LCL" tear, when it was the Medial Collateral ligament that was so stretched in that attempt to handle the bad snap. whaddupwidat???

I'll tell ya whaddup .... our Franchise QB was playing on a 2nd degree LCL, and he probably damaged/tore an acl or an mcl or both, because of it.

That's why it is hush-hush on the MRI results today, and why the big Boss is going to Florida to see the Doc with RG3 tomorrow, to get the straight dope on the situation because he no longer trusts that he'll get the straight scoop from the Shan-knee-gate crew, or, he already knows how bad it is, and is going with RG3 as morale support to help him with coping with terrible news.

And if my suspicions are correct (and I pray to God I'm wrong), he may be looking at significant reconstructive surgery and at best, at least a full year of rehab, meaning, bye-bye RG3 for 2013, or, God forbid, worse.

This is starting to smell really bad ... really, really bad. And you can ask my wife, I was screaming at the television yesterday after it was clear he had suffered more damage in the 1st QT ... probably an ACL tear when he tried pulling up on that roll out. I told her that he needed to be taken out of the game right then and there to prevent further damage, and possibly career threatening damage. I was livid and I just couldn't believe that they'd keep him out there the way he was limping and dragging that leg.

That ugly last fall was just the awkward position he was in trying to retrieve that bad snap, but the damage was caused much earlier in the game.

And somebody ought to slap Synder too, for that horrifically terrible field condition.

I swear, this organization could foul up a good rock fight .... and make the Three Stooges look like the Three Geniuses.

Hog

Postby RayNAustin » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:03 pm

welch wrote:One side note: Dan Snyder is flying to Pensacola with Robert Griffin. As many bad things as I have said about The Danny (and thought worse), this seems like just the right time and way for the owner to be involved.

Meanwhile, I'm not guessing about the degree of injury. Better to wait until Dr Andrews has finished the examination. It's not like my guessing matters.

If Kirk Cousins is the starter for a season, so be it. We will keep Robert GRiffin III in our thoughts, and hail the Redskins.

Oh well? C'est la vie ? No use crying over spilled milk? You've got to be joking right? Please tell me I'm not the only one on this god forsaken board that thinks some responsible adult heads should roll for this grossly negligent debacle?

Look ... this isn't just a case of "injuries happen". This is a case of the entire world watching and wondering what the heck these knuckle-heads were thinking by leaving him out there like a one legged tackling dummy, and risking his entire career, when anyone with something other than air between their ears could see he needed to be pulled out.

Look .... oh what the heck ... never mind ... I'm stuck in an alternate universe, or the twilight zone, and I'm just talking to myself.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:10 pm

If Adrian Peterson can get his knee totally reconstructed in early January, and be back (with a vengeance) the following season, why is RGIII going to have to miss all of next season? I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, I'm asking a serious question. Hasn't Dr. Andrews made some kind of new breakthroughs in these procedures?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:13 pm

RayNAustin wrote:
welch wrote:One side note: Dan Snyder is flying to Pensacola with Robert Griffin. As many bad things as I have said about The Danny (and thought worse), this seems like just the right time and way for the owner to be involved.

Oh well? C'est la vie ? No use crying over spilled milk? You've got to be joking right? Please tell me I'm not the only one on this god forsaken board that thinks some responsible adult heads should roll for this grossly negligent debacle?

Look ... this isn't just a case of "injuries happen". This is a case of the entire world watching and wondering what the heck these knuckle-heads were thinking by leaving him out there like a one legged tackling dummy, and risking his entire career, when anyone with something other than air between their ears could see he needed to be pulled out.

Look .... oh what the heck ... never mind ... I'm stuck in an alternate universe, or the twilight zone, and I'm just talking to myself.

I'm pissed off too brother... But what's to happen? Fire Shanny for trusting his qb when he says he's got this don't take him out, and the drs clear him after he left in the first half? Or do we cut Rgiii for being stubborn and not upfront about his status? Blame game, point fingers? Fire everyone?
It's pointless to think about the what ifs.. and worse to stay upset about it.

I'm on the positive, pray for the knee, tip... Let's get RGiii to APs house and make friends. AP should be his new brother from another mother during this time.. I'm talkin same drs same rehab trainers etc... He is a freak like AP and can beat this injury even the worst case scenarios.
HAIL to RGiii god bless the knee!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

cleg

Postby cleg » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:17 pm

I dont think you can fire Shanny for this but any extension should be taken off the table for sure. I agree with Ray.
Drinking the Kool-Aid again...

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football