Any and All News About RG3's Knee - Merged

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
cleg
Posts: 2641
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:58 am
Location: Deep in the Heart of Giants Territory

Postby cleg » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:14 pm

I can speak for myself when I say it is hard to fight the urge not to assume the worse when it comes to the Redskins. Honestly, there was not an outcome that could have been much worse and to have to watch it play out and know it was going to most likely happen was awful.

With a couple days vision I feel better about everything. Remember it really is not that important in our lives. I was reminded of this while reading Captain Underpants to my son on Sunday night - that is what is important.

That said, it was an egregous mistake by Shanny and I hate the idea that this 22 year old kid has to go through this now. At this point I am hoping for the best and prepared for the worst which would be to not see RGIII on the field until 2014. HTTR
Drinking the Kool-Aid again...

Hog
Posts: 1767
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:26 pm

Postby grampi » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:37 pm

cleg wrote:I can speak for myself when I say it is hard to fight the urge not to assume the worse when it comes to the Redskins. Honestly, there was not an outcome that could have been much worse and to have to watch it play out and know it was going to most likely happen was awful.

With a couple days vision I feel better about everything. Remember it really is not that important in our lives. I was reminded of this while reading Captain Underpants to my son on Sunday night - that is what is important.

That said, it was an egregous mistake by Shanny and I hate the idea that this 22 year old kid has to go through this now. At this point I am hoping for the best and prepared for the worst which would be to not see RGIII on the field until 2014. HTTR


All I will say is I'm not worried about it. RGIII is young and I'm sure he will be ready to play next season and he'll be better than ever. It isn't like this is his 5th or 6th injury to that knee so it's not a cronic thing...

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 456
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 8:02 am
Location: under there

Postby (d)oink » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:38 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:I have a very good friend a Dr. Daniel Gordon that does MRI's and he said that if its a partial tear surgery won't be needed. If it's a full tear we are screwed 9-12 months FAST HEALER 12-14 months NORMAL HEALER....
Either way if it's more than partial tears we are screwed, Kirk Cousins will be the starter most likely next year.


OK - PLEASE ask your "very good friend" to explain how A P was able to do what he did THIS season after the injury to his knee in December 2011


September is 9 months after December and AP is a fast healer.

How did I do?


My cousin, who teaches math at the community college says you're spot on.
What the....

Hog
Posts: 1767
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:26 pm

Postby grampi » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:39 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
grampi wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:I think based on this it's reasonable to assume that Kirk Cousins is our starting QB next year with Rex backing him up.......Or will there be a mob screaming that hey if Adrian Peterson can do it so can RG3, even though they are two totally different people, and circumstances....... :explode: :explode: My 2 cents


Why assume the worst? Many NFL players have come back the following season and played as good or better than they did before with much worse knee injuries than the one RGIII has.


:celebrate:

Especially coming from you, this is a monumental post!

The doom and gloom never ends for redskins nation.. MOST players come back the following year. ACL reconstruction isn't a big deal these days.. Tiger woods injury was probably the same severity. I hope they don't have to use a hamstring graft like mine.. my hammy flares up every now and then now. -anything is better then a cadavers ACL tho


I can certainly undstand people's worries. Without RGIII this team will not win a SB, but we need to keep things in perspective here. He will heal. This injury is not a career ender and anyone who says (said) it is is just being ridiculous....

the 'mudge
Posts: 14606
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:09 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:
Countertrey wrote:I will NEVER consider a player selfish for wanting to be in the game. I WANT that. I don't expect the player to be objective about himself... that's the coach's job. jeeze.

When someone constantly says in a presser that he wanted to be kept in so he could win the game because he (not the team) deserved to be there and win it, then yes, I consider that selfish. Not to mention disrespectful as hell to Cousins by continuing to inisit he was the best chance to win that game. I'm starting to become alarmed by people's love for RGIII over the team as a whole. The guy is not invincible. He is young, a rookie, and yes he can make mistakes and come off as selfish from time to time. He will only get better with time.
Wow... what dimension was the presser you watched in? I watched the one in THIS universe...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

DarthMonk
Posts: 4388
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:10 pm

RayNAustin wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:I have a very good friend a Dr. Daniel Gordon that does MRI's and he said that if its a partial tear surgery won't be needed. If it's a full tear we are screwed 9-12 months FAST HEALER 12-14 months NORMAL HEALER....
Either way if it's more than partial tears we are screwed, Kirk Cousins will be the starter most likely next year.


OK - PLEASE ask your "very good friend" to explain how A P was able to do what he did THIS season after the injury to his knee in December 2011


September is 9 months after December and AP is a fast healer.

How did I do?



Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III suffered a partially torn lateral collateral ligament in his right knee during Sunday's playoff game against the Seahawks, a source said.

Griffin also likely tore at least part of his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), but it's unknown how severe it is because a previous knee injury he suffered at Baylor in 2009 required two screws and a rubber band to hold it together. Because of the previous injury, doctors initially could not determine Monday if his ACL was partially or completely torn and doctors don't know what surgery should be performed.

The Washington Post reported earlier that Griffin's MRI suggested partial tears to the ACL and LCL.

Griffin, who entered Sunday's wild-card playoff game already nursing a previously sprained LCL in the same knee, appeared to tweak the knee on a pass attempt in the first quarter and then left the game in the fourth quarter after twisting his leg while attempting to recover a muffed shotgun snap.

Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said in a news conference Monday the results of the MRI are prompting the team to send Griffin to Pensacola, Fla., on Tuesday to see orthopedist Dr. James Andrews, who serves as a Redskins' physician, for further examinations to determine how to proceed.

"There is a concern," Shanahan said. "That's why he's going to see him."

Andrews, meanwhile, tried to clarify comments he made Sunday to USA Today that he didn't clear Griffin to return to the Dec. 9 game in which he originally hurt his knee, as Shanahan had claimed the following day.

On Monday, Andrews told The Washington Post that "Shanahan didn't lie about it, and I didn't lie."

"I didn't get to examine (Griffin's knee) because he came out for one play, didn't let us look at him and on the next play, he ran through all the players and back out onto the field," he told the newspaper.

"Coach Shanahan looks at me like, 'Is he OK?' and I give him the 'Hi' sign as in, 'He's running around, so I guess he's OK.' But I didn't get to check him out until after the game. It was just a communication problem. Heat of battle. I didn't get to tell him I didn't get to examine the knee. Mike Shanahan would never have put him out there at risk just to win a game."


I think based on this it's reasonable to assume that Kirk Cousins is our starting QB next year with Rex backing him up.......Or will there be a mob screaming that hey if Adrian Peterson can do it so can RG3, even though they are two totally different people, and circumstances....... :explode: :explode: My 2 cents


I was hoping Griff would be pulled when he jogged for a 9 yard gain because the Seattle D no longer saw him as a threat and all his throws were high.

I am mentally prepared to see Kirk start at least until the bye.

Both of the above were reasons for drafting Kirk. I'll say the staff was preening after the Brown game. They did not show that same confidence "in the heat of battle" this past Sunday.


Let me ask you a "hypothetical" question. Let's say you're a rich man, and you buy yourself a Lamborgini Aventador. Your Son comes to you and says .. Dad, can I take Sally out in the Lambi Saturday night? And you say, OK son ... but no fooling around ... you drive carefully, and no hot rodding and hot dogging .. he says OK. In the wee hours of Sunday Morning, Junior comes back home in a cab, with a tow truck towing the Lamborghini with a smashed up front end ... engine knocking, and all the rubber burned off the back tires ..... are you going to fix that car, or get a new one, and hand him the keys to it AGAIN?

Well that's PRECISELY what Mike and Kyle did to Dan Snyder's RG3 Lamborghini ... only RG3 is worth 25 times as much.


Is this directed at me? Just askin'.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ
Posts: 13278
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:14 pm

It's just frustrating hearing fans provide "stuff" and nobody wants to just let Dr Andrews make a determination

some act as if they are "right" about predicting what will happen here

WHO GIVES A STUFF .... NOBODY

let me know as soon as you can - ONLY post what Dr Andrews has found - I could care less what some quack thinks about RG3's prognosis
Griffin will become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL


Week 3 - 27-21

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 2007
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby emoses14 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:39 pm

grampi wrote:
cleg wrote:I can speak for myself when I say it is hard to fight the urge not to assume the worse when it comes to the Redskins. Honestly, there was not an outcome that could have been much worse and to have to watch it play out and know it was going to most likely happen was awful.

With a couple days vision I feel better about everything. Remember it really is not that important in our lives. I was reminded of this while reading Captain Underpants to my son on Sunday night - that is what is important.

That said, it was an egregous mistake by Shanny and I hate the idea that this 22 year old kid has to go through this now. At this point I am hoping for the best and prepared for the worst which would be to not see RGIII on the field until 2014. HTTR


All I will say is I'm not worried about it. RGIII is young and I'm sure he will be ready to play next season and he'll be better than ever. It isn't like this is his 5th or 6th injury to that knee so it's not a cronic thing...


:up:
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 2007
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby emoses14 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:40 pm

SkinsJock wrote:It's just frustrating hearing fans provide "stuff" and nobody wants to just let Dr Andrews make a determination

some act as if they are "right" about predicting what will happen here

WHO GIVES A STUFF .... NOBODY

let me know as soon as you can - ONLY post what Dr Andrews has found - I could care less what some quack thinks about RG3's prognosis


Because it doesn't happen everyday, I feel compelled to acknowledge when it does. . .

I COMPLETELY agree with SJ that this FO has at least earned the right to have DR. ANDREWS comment on what he sees.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 760
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:02 pm

RG3 will undergo surgery on his LCL and from there they will determine if there is damage to his ACL

the 'mudge
Posts: 14606
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:04 pm

You know... once is plenty... it's not necessary to post the same comment in multiple threads... seriously... most of us read each thread that has new stuff...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 760
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:06 pm

Countertrey wrote:You know... once is plenty... it's not necessary to post the same comment in multiple threads... seriously... most of us read each thread that has new stuff...


My apologies. Just wanted folks to know. If you want I can delete other posts.

the 'mudge
Posts: 14606
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:09 pm

not necessary...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

|||
Posts: 4309
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:34 am
Location: SANTA ANA,CA

Postby HEROHAMO » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:18 pm

The prognosis has already been given. The bad news is he tore his ACL. I am no orthopaedist but have had the same injury and have about 15 years experience with this type of injury.

For those who dont know, an ACL tear cannot heal on its own. He is going to have surgery if he wants to repair his knee.

Some are waiting is if there is good news coming. You just need to know that once the ACL is torn thats it. Surgery is required. He will be out at least 8 months.

Ill give some good news if any for what its worth. The good news is arthroscopy is as advanced as its ever been. Just take a look at Adrian Peterson. He was back in less than a year.

If this were the sixties RG3s career might be over. Remember Gale Sayers had a similar injury. However I don't think they had arthroscopy in those days.
Also consider the fact that RG3 was walking after the injury. That is a very good sign as well.
RG3 has also been through this before. He knows how to come back from this.

Tom Brady came back from a worse knee injury. Peyton Manning came back from a freaking neck injury(far worse). Adrian Peterson is a running back and he came back. A running back needs to be mobile far more then a QB does.

He will be back next year. I expect him to be back by game two. He will sit out the pre season obviously.

My main concern is RG3. Can he keep himself off the field when he is hurt? Other then that I sure he will be back.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

DarthMonk
Posts: 4388
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:23 pm

RayNAustin wrote:Now hear this .... you can bet you last penny in that little piggy bank that Shanahan and advisors are, in the meantime, studying every single play that Robert was involved hoping to find plausible evidence that the real damage occurred on that final play, rather than on the early play in the 1st Quarter's second drive where RG3 pulled up lame on that roll out right, because, if that is indeed the case, and I'm convinced that it is, then that would mean they allowed RG3 back out on the field to play for 3 more Quarters on a torn ACL, causing greater damage to occur throughout that time. That would re-categorize this from just an injury, to gross negligence, and might even demand a League response, and certainly a possible action from the NFLPA. And it doesn't matter one tiny little bit about Robert claiming to be OK ... we all saw him hobbling out there, and that's just the reality. Shanahan cannot legitimately claim that he didn't realize he was actually injured. That dog don't hunt.


Image

I noticed he went from the "lunge" position in the huddle to the "kneel" position. I will rewatch to see when he made the switch.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football