Any and All News About RG3's Knee - Merged

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby NYFINESTSKINSFAN » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:53 pm

I'm not on the fire Shanahan bandwagan, but I just can't get past what in the hell was Mike thinking leaving RGIII in the game after he injured his knee in the second quarter. You see him hobbling around all over the place. I'm sure RGIII will one day make a full recovery, but it will now be later than sooner.

swine

Postby RG3peat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:02 pm

NYFINESTSKINSFAN wrote:I'm not on the fire Shanahan bandwagan, but I just can't get past what in the hell was Mike thinking leaving RGIII in the game after he injured his knee in the second quarter. You see him hobbling around all over the place. I'm sure RGIII will one day make a full recovery, but it will now be later than sooner.

What pisses me off is that Shanny still continues to defend himself and the decision. Guess you can say "No going back"...but YES you can and admit that you F-ed up...how hard is that? The damage is done. "I think it happened on the play before the bad snap"...whatever, he was limping and clawing just to get out of bounds on some runs prior....At that point enough is enough....you gave it your all kid....sit down. I think that if RG3 tried to run on that 1st quarter pass hed been better off but he tried to pull up and strain the leg and prove to the world he is a "pass 1st" QB...I think he is hell bent on proving and breaking that sterotype that it ultimately cost him.

Hog

Postby funsho2 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:09 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:The prognosis has already been given. The bad news is he tore his ACL. I am no orthopaedist but have had the same injury and have about 15 years experience with this type of injury.

For those who dont know, an ACL tear cannot heal on its own. He is going to have surgery if he wants to repair his knee.

Some are waiting is if there is good news coming. You just need to know that once the ACL is torn thats it. Surgery is required. He will be out at least 8 months.

Ill give some good news if any for what its worth. The good news is arthroscopy is as advanced as its ever been. Just take a look at Adrian Peterson. He was back in less than a year.

If this were the sixties RG3s career might be over. Remember Gale Sayers had a similar injury. However I don't think they had arthroscopy in those days.
Also consider the fact that RG3 was walking after the injury. That is a very good sign as well.
RG3 has also been through this before. He knows how to come back from this.

Tom Brady came back from a worse knee injury. Peyton Manning came back from a freaking neck injury(far worse). Adrian Peterson is a running back and he came back. A running back needs to be mobile far more then a QB does.

He will be back next year. I expect him to be back by game two. He will sit out the pre season obviously.

My main concern is RG3. Can he keep himself off the field when he is hurt? Other then that I sure he will be back.

If this is what happens....great news then....i wanna see the guy play next year!!!

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:12 pm

From Chris Russell:

Yikes...Dr. Dreese at Univ of Md. tells WAPO that LCL surgery and rehab could take 8-12 months & could be longer than ACL rehab. #Redskins

Get well soon RGIII!
Suck and Luck

########

Postby Scottskins » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:14 pm

get over it. the fact is, he played and it didn't work out. Who cares why? It doesn't matter. RG3 has to go through whatever he does. RG3 and shanahan will both learn from this. RG3 will come back stronger than ever, cause that's what he does!!!
Death to the EGO! RIP 21

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:26 pm

I don't really care about the surgery or him missing some time. What I do care about is RG3 becoming 100% again.

This is exactly why I'll never favor a trade with Cousins unless we are able to draft another great QB because of it.

We finally got our wish: a franchise quarterback...unfortunately now we also need a franchise backup quarterback it seems.

This injury could happen to any player, and I do believe he will get smarter. However he's also very strong willed and that is who he is...that's not going to change. Hopefully the reduction of hits will keep him on the field for many years. I'm not feeling too optimistic about his longevity even though I truly hope he outlasts all our hopes.

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:22 pm

Heard from Chick on Comcast that Robert's last knee surgery in 2009 took him all of 4 months to recover. Perhaps HE is a fast healer........???

We'll see what this is all about as the days progress.......
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:46 pm

Rivers came back after 100 days of ACL surgery.

Rivers had quick ACL tear recovery in 2008

We don’t know how long it will take Robert Griffin III to recover from whatever injuries he might have to his right knee. But we do know that a torn ACL suffered in January does not necessarily to keep a quarterback out of action the next season.

Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers tore the ACL in his right knee in a divisional round playoff game against the Colts following the 2007 season. He gave way to backup Billy Volek for the remainder of that game and San Diego won. Rivers had arthroscopic surgery to clean out the knee after the game and he played the entire AFC Championship game against the Patriots the following week without an ACL in his right knee. The Chargers lost, making it a moot point that Rivers probably could not have played in the Super Bowl if the Chargers had won.

He had reconstructive surgery soon after the game. Exactly 100 days later he was on the practice field for minicamp. Rivers started all 16 games for the Chargers in 2008, passing for over 4,000 yards and leading the league in touchdown passes (34), yards per pass attempt (8.4), and passer rating (105.5).

There certainly are some differences between the cases Rivers and RG3 with the most important being that Griffin previously tore the same ACL that is injured now and it was the first major injury to the knee for Rivers. Rivers’ comeback season was his fifth in the NFL and his third as a starter. If Griffin misses a lot of offseason prep time that could hurt his 2013 performance more than any time the more experienced Rivers may have missed. Also, Griffin may have suffered more damage to other ligaments than did Rivers. All of these factors could have an effect on the timing and quality of Griffin’s 2013 comeback.

Most importantly, injuries are different and athletes recover from them at different rates. Griffin could have an injury identical to Rivers’ and it could take him longer to recover. Or it might not take him as long, although that would be surprising since Rivers’ recovery was quick, almost to the point of being Adrian Peterson miraculous.

So this is not to say that if RG3 does have a torn ACL we should be able to count on him not only being ready to play when the NFL season starts in about eight months but ready to play at a high level. His recovery could well take longer than that of Rivers. But a January ACL tear does not automatically doom a quarterback to missing time in September or having a subpar season.

Posted by Rich Tandler on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 at 10:55 AM in 2013 Offseason | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:06 pm

When asked whether RGIII would still be as fast & explosive after the surgery, a doctor on ESPN980 said that even if he gets both ACL & LCL repaired, that he'd expect him to be as good or better than he was before the injury.

He said that if he rehabs aggressively that he could be back by training camp in a best case scenario. He said worst case would be around Thanksgiving.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:19 pm

All I have to say is Shanahanagans.

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:26 pm

It sucks that this kid's knees have been getting so beat up by this point in his career. I hope they take it slow with him and don't run him into the ground.

On the semi-bright side: he's young, so I think he'll heal up quicker and better than an older player.
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:11 am

Chris Mortenson reports that he spoke to Dr. Andrews who told him RGIII would have reconstructive surgery on the ACL & LCL and it would be a 6-8 month period before he can resume playing.

Per Twitter @mortreport

Redskins QB Robert Griffin III will undergo total reconstruction of knee for complete tear of ACL and LCL. Recovery projection: 6-8 mos.

Dr. James Andrews will perform surgery in about 6 hours. Diagnosis already made that ACL graft of @RGIII's 2009 surgery is complete tear

This is promising news on many fronts. First, RGIII will know now that his knee is structurally sound after completely fixing all of the affected ligaments right away and allowing them to heal.

When a graft is used, I have read that it makes the joint essentially stronger than normal.

Second, the rehab per the Dr. would not require that he miss the 2013 regular season. Someone with the work ethic and athleticism of RGIII will likely return better than ever.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

-----------

Postby Smithian » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:20 am

THIS IS A JOKE RIGHT? HAHAHA

PLEASE SAY THIS IS A FUNNY HAHA JOKE

I AM DREAMING
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:29 am

The Hogster wrote:Chris Mortenson reports that he spoke to Dr. Andrews who told him RGIII would have reconstructive surgery on the ACL & LCL and it would be a 6-8 month period before he can resume playing.

Per Twitter @mortreport

Redskins QB Robert Griffin III will undergo total reconstruction of knee for complete tear of ACL and LCL. Recovery projection: 6-8 mos.

Dr. James Andrews will perform surgery in about 6 hours. Diagnosis already made that ACL graft of @RGIII's 2009 surgery is complete tear

This is promising news on many fronts. First, RGIII will know now that his knee is structurally sound after completely fixing all of the affected ligaments right away and allowing them to heal.

When a graft is used, I have read that it makes the joint essentially stronger than normal.

Second, the rehab per the Dr. would not require that he miss the 2013 regular season. Someone with the work ethic and athleticism of RGIII will likely return better than ever.

Thank you for posting this. Its a relief to hold onto (unless something changes of course). Great to know they're being thorough and doing it right...this seems to be the best option for him.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football