Any and All News About RG3's Knee - Merged

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:41 am

I think you need to check more sources. The injury is a tear to his LCL which is a longer heal time than an ACL. Robert Griffin III is having surgery Wednesday on a torn ligament in his right knee - and to see if there's a second ligament that also needs to be repaired. Baylor coach Art Briles confirmed to USA Today and The Associated Press on Tuesday night that the Washington Redskins rookie has a torn lateral collateral ligament. He said the surgery also will determine whether Griffin has damaged the ACL in that knee. A person close to Griffin, speaking on condition of anonymity because the Redskins have not made an announcement, also confirmed the details surrounding Griffin's injury to the AP.
A torn LCL requires a rehabilitation period of several months, possibly extending into training camp and the start of next season. A torn ACL is a more severe injury, typically requiring nine to 12 months of recovery, although Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson make a remarkable return this season some eight months after tearing an ACL - and nearly broke the NFL's single-season rushing record.

Griffin tore his ACL in the same knee while playing for Baylor in the third game of the 2009 season and missed the rest of the year. He was injured on the opening drive against Northwestern State but kept playing until halftime. Griffin came back to win the Heisman Trophy two years later, and Briles predicted a similar recovery this time. ''RG3 will be good as new, though. I know that!'' Briles said in a text message to the AP. Griffin sprained the LCL last month against the Baltimore Ravens and missed one game. He returned wearing a bulky black brace for subsequent games and reinjured the knee at least twice in Sunday's playoff loss to the Seattle Seahawks, prompting a national debate over whether coach Mike Shanahan endangered his franchise player's career by not taking him out sooner.

The Redskins said an MRI taken after the game was inconclusive, so Griffin flew to Florida on Tuesday for a more detailed examination conducted by orthopedist James Andrews. Andrews will perform the surgery Wednesday.

Griffin, the No. 2 overall pick, was one of several rookie quarterbacks to make an instant impact on the league this season. He set the NFL record for best season passer rating by a rookie QB and led the Redskins to their first NFC East title in 13 years.

But Griffin also had to leave three games early due to injuries - two because of his knee and one because of a concussion - and missed a fourth altogether because of the knee. Shanahan repeatedly said Griffin had clearance from doctors to return to play, but the coach also said he trusted Griffin's own word when deciding that the rookie should continue during Sunday's game - even though Griffin was clearly struggling after reinjuring the knee in the first quarter. Griffin remained in the game until the fourth quarter, when he hurt the knee again while fielding a bad shotgun snap. Recieved information from http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/rg3- ... acl-010813

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:59 am

People I think you all need to do some simple research about LCL injuries and time tables. For the people that don't get it, the LCL is FAR MORE COMPLEX than an ACL or MCL tear. I believe that RG3 will come back and may even be better than ever but I doubt he comes back in 2013. 9-12 months people for a full LCL recovery. People also understand this has nothing to do with Adrian Peterson or his injury the LCL is the worst injury and when they use a complete RECONSTRUCTION verbage I tend to think that the knee is SHREDDED. The best thing that can happen is the knee get's fully repaired, and during next year's season he rehab's and get the muscles strong again and works on his explosion and continues to study the play book. 2014 he comes back hungrier than ever and then craps on the division again. I truly believe next year is a wash for RG3 and anyone that believes he will be back is basically a gullible imbecile.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:02 am

Thanks UK Skins fan - me too - some posters here are so full of it, their eyes are brown :lol:

The bad news is that RG3 has some damage to the ACL and the LCL - THAT IS ALL

The good news is that he's already had the surgery (Wednesday morning) and there's a chance that he could be ready to play in September

This kid is an exceptional athlete with "world class" ability - I expect to see him back behind center and playing better soon

END OF DOOM AND GLOOM - :lol:
Last edited by SkinsJock on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:08 am

I am done reading about "the knee" OR hearing from quacks :lol:

ALL THAT MATTERS to me is what Dr Andrews says and intimates ...

The bad news is that RG3 has some damage to the ACL and the LCL - THAT IS ALL

The good news is that he's already had the surgery (Wednesday morning) and there's a chance that he could be ready to play in September

This kid is an exceptional athlete with "world class" ability - I expect to see him back behind center this season and playing better than we saw in 2012

END OF DOOM AND GLOOM :lol:
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:08 am

Countertrey wrote:Wow... what dimension was the presser you watched in? I watched the one in THIS universe...

I will admit that I only saw clips on a DC morning news show, so I may have taken it out of context...BUT I still contend that it was selfish to not man up and pull yourself out of a game (if your dumbass coach won't do it himself) to give your team a better chance to advance and win.

Re: Good News About RG3's Knee

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:10 am

spudstr04 wrote:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/09/report-robert-griffin-iii-out-6-8-months-with-complete-acl-lcl-tears/

Mort is reporting a 6-8 month recovery! Dr. Andrews believes that he should be able to return before the start of next season! My birthday was yesterday and this is a great present, if he can rehab and come back healthy in July-August!

Assuming Mort is correct- how the hell is a complete year of the ACL/LCL good news?

Reconstructive knee surgery, WHOOHOO!

SMH
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:12 am

DaSkinz Baby wrote:I think you need to check more sources. The injury is a tear to his LCL which is a longer heal time than an ACL.

This is incorrect. A LCL is a much quicker recovery time than an ACL since it had better blood flow.
Last edited by skinsfan#33 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:15 am

I saw on ESPN this morning that "worst case scenario" is Griffin being ready by week 6 of next year.

swine

Postby SKIN4LIFE » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:18 am

DaSkinz Baby wrote:People I think you all need to do some simple research about LCL injuries and time tables. For the people that don't get it, the LCL is FAR MORE COMPLEX than an ACL or MCL tear. I believe that RG3 will come back and may even be better than ever but I doubt he comes back in 2013. 9-12 months people for a full LCL recovery. People also understand this has nothing to do with Adrian Peterson or his injury the LCL is the worst injury and when they use a complete RECONSTRUCTION verbage I tend to think that the knee is SHREDDED. The best thing that can happen is the knee get's fully repaired, and during next year's season he rehab's and get the muscles strong again and works on his explosion and continues to study the play book. 2014 he comes back hungrier than ever and then craps on the division again. I truly believe next year is a wash for RG3 and anyone that believes he will be back is basically a gullible imbecile.
[list=]

What are you talking about. Every doctor on tv, and there have been several, said the complete opposite. The LCL is least important and will heal faster due to increased blood flow. We need to hear what Andrews encountered while performing the surgery and set expectations from there. For the record and to ensure posters aren't misled, your statements around the LCL are false.[/list]
Changing the ways of Today (salary cap) will allow us to celebrate championships in the Future.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:22 am

Everything I'm seeing/reading says 6-8 months to recover unless something "unforseen" happens. Worst case scenario is he won't be back until week 6 of next season.

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:24 am

SKIN4LIFE wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:People I think you all need to do some simple research about LCL injuries and time tables. For the people that don't get it, the LCL is FAR MORE COMPLEX than an ACL or MCL tear. I believe that RG3 will come back and may even be better than ever but I doubt he comes back in 2013. 9-12 months people for a full LCL recovery. People also understand this has nothing to do with Adrian Peterson or his injury the LCL is the worst injury and when they use a complete RECONSTRUCTION verbage I tend to think that the knee is SHREDDED. The best thing that can happen is the knee get's fully repaired, and during next year's season he rehab's and get the muscles strong again and works on his explosion and continues to study the play book. 2014 he comes back hungrier than ever and then craps on the division again. I truly believe next year is a wash for RG3 and anyone that believes he will be back is basically a gullible imbecile.
[list=]

What are you talking about. Every doctor on tv, and there have been several, said the complete opposite. The LCL is least important and will heal faster due to increased blood flow. We need to hear what Andrews encountered while performing the surgery and set expectations from there. For the record and to ensure posters aren't misled, your statements around the LCL are false.[/list]

WRONG my comments about the LCL are true and after the wasps flying around Redskins Park now and DeMaurice Smith investigating you don't think the Redskins are spinning this? Come on SKIN4LIFE don't be that much of a FOOL4LIFE the LCL is the longest tendon to heal KNOWN FACT and the fact that I have posted what I have read, learned and heard is a simple matter of what I have found. Nothing doom and gloom about it. How the hell is the LCL the least important when it's what stablizes the knee from doing what it did in the 4th quarter? BEND THE WAY ITS NOT SUPPOSED TOO?? COME ON MAN!!!!

Hog

Postby grampi » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:25 am

I'll bet anyone a steak dinner he's ready to play the 1st preseason game...

swine

Postby SKIN4LIFE » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:25 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:I think you need to check more sources. The injury is a tear to his LCL which is a longer heal time than an ACL.

This is incorrect. A LCL is a much quicker recovery time than an ACL since it had beyer blood flow.

Exactly correct, assuming beyer means better :lol:
Changing the ways of Today (salary cap) will allow us to celebrate championships in the Future.

Hog

Postby NYFINESTSKINSFAN » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:25 am

It is just a shame that it has to be that way because of the lack of common sense decisions made by those who should have known. The bottom line is we shouldn't even be having this conversation now if Mike did what we were all screaming for him to do after the second quarter, GET HIM OUT OF THE GAME. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just delusional! I do agree, it happened, there is no turning back and move on, but it is a shame that it is what it is.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:28 am

BS is BS - Dr Andrews knows what is going on

there are a lot of 'quacks' that think they do :lol:

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football