Any and All News About RG3's Knee - Merged

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:25 pm
Location: Clarksburg

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:30 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:Everything I'm seeing/reading says 6-8 months to recover unless something "unforseen" happens. Worst case scenario is he won't be back until week 6 of next season.


Read this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--rg3-s ... 02476.html

RG3 reportedly suffers torn LCL; surgeon says return for next season 'not the norm'

Robert Griffin III tweeted "See you you guys next season" to his followers early Wednesday morning, and he certainly has a chance to return to play in the Fall. But he may have to wait longer to take the field again, according to an orthopedic surgeon trained by Dr. James Andrews, the renowned specialist who examined Griffin on Tuesday. Michael Jablonski, a former team physician for the Orlando Magic, said he tells patients who have injuries similar to Griffin's to expect eight to 12 months to return to play, and more than that to feel as strong and stable as before the injury.

Griffin's rehab could go well and he may be on the field for the Redskins season opener. But there is also a possibility the Washington Redskins star rookie quarterback may not regain the Olympic speed he has shown in his career so far. It was reported Tuesday that Dr. Andrews will surgically repair Griffin's lateral collateral ligament in his right knee, which he tore in Sunday's wild-card loss against the Seattle Seahawks. The surgery is scheduled for early Wednesday, according to the Associated Press. Dr. Andrews will determine then if Griffin's anterior cruciate ligament needs to be repaired as well. Jablonski says it's unlikely that the LCL was torn in isolation – "I've seen like five isolated LCL tears [in 13 years]" – and it's the potential of multiple ligament damage that puts Griffin's short-term prognosis in the most peril. Jablonski said ACL injuries take six to eight months to heal and "a year to forget about it," meaning a year before the patient doesn't feel any after-effects. The LCL complicates the issue, because while an ACL regulates front-to-back motion, the LCL controls side-to-side movement.

"It makes it more difficult," said Jablonski, now the orthopedic doctor for the University of Central Florida athletic department. "You're trying to restore stability in more than one plane."

And because Griffin's mastery comes in both straight-ahead speed and lateral motion, his full recovery will be more tenuous than it would be for a more traditional drop-back passer.

"For that type of player to return to that same level of play, the chances are going to be lower than if it was a single-ligament injury," Jablonski said.

Asked if Griffin's Olympic-level speed is at risk, Jablonski said, "There's no question it's at risk. Not everybody regains full range of motion. It's still unstable and maybe can't get back to what it was."

This is not to be overly pessimistic. Adrian Peterson suffered a multiple-ligament injury in December 2011 and returned to have an MVP-caliber season in 2012. He did not miss a single game. Andrews performed Peterson's surgery and he is, in Jablonski's words, "by far the best sports medicine surgeon." But Jablonski feels the need to be straightforward with patients, and Peterson's expedited recovery is "very rare." Stiffness post-surgery is likely, and further procedures are not out of the question.

RG3 sits on the bench after injuring his knee. (AP)"When you have someone like RG3, you can use Adrian Peterson as a motivational tool," he said. "There's no question you can look at him and say it is possible. But on the other hand, there are certainly examples of athletes who didn't get back. You just have to be realistic with the patients. You might need more than one surgery."

Griffin's LCL surgery could include ACL repair as well.

"When [Dr. Andrews is] in there, he's gonna look at the ACL," Jablonski said. "With these partial tears, he's going to make a decision. If it needs to be fixed, he will do everything at the same time."

Depending on the severity of the tear, an LCL can be sewn back together. An ACL, according to Jablonski, cannot. That ligament is repaired with material from another part of the body or even a cadaver. Because Griffin had reconstruction of his right ACL already, in 2009, there may be extra hurdles for Andrews to deal with if there is another tear.

"If someone has had an ACL that's been torn, it certainly makes a difference," Jablonski said. "If somebody has had an ACL tear, you have to deal with having scar tissue. You may have to find another source of tissue. It gets somewhat complicated."

Asked if a return to play next season should be ruled out for Griffin, Jablonski said no.

"It certainly is possible," he said. “But it's not the norm."

tribe
Posts: 6125
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:02 pm
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:34 am

just pray for the kid......

Robert Griffin III ‏@RGIII

Thank you for your prayers and support. I love God, my family, my team, the fans, & I love this game. See you guys next season.
Expand
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:51 pm

Postby Mississippiskinsfan2 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:34 am

:shock: Didn't know there are so many perfect people in this world who do the right thing every time and who have never made a bad decision in their life :roll:

Hog
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:25 pm
Location: Clarksburg

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:35 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:I think you need to check more sources. The injury is a tear to his LCL which is a longer heal time than an ACL.


This is incorrect. A LCL is a much quicker recovery time than an ACL since it had beyer blood flow.


Really?? LMMFAO cause Michael Jablonski who Dr. Andrews taught says this about the LCL:

Jablonski says it's unlikely that the LCL was torn in isolation – "I've seen like five isolated LCL tears [in 13 years]" – and it's the potential of multiple ligament damage that puts Griffin's short-term prognosis in the most peril. Jablonski said ACL injuries take six to eight months to heal and "a year to forget about it," meaning a year before the patient doesn't feel any after-effects. The LCL complicates the issue, because while an ACL regulates front-to-back motion, the LCL controls side-to-side movement.

"It makes it more difficult," said Jablonski, now the orthopedic doctor for the University of Central Florida athletic department. "You're trying to restore stability in more than one plane."

And because Griffin's mastery comes in both straight-ahead speed and lateral motion, his full recovery will be more tenuous than it would be for a more traditional drop-back passer.

"For that type of player to return to that same level of play, the chances are going to be lower than if it was a single-ligament injury," Jablonski said.

Asked if Griffin's Olympic-level speed is at risk, Jablonski said, "There's no question it's at risk. Not everybody regains full range of motion. It's still unstable and maybe can't get back to what it was."

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1234
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:55 pm

Postby NYFINESTSKINSFAN » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:42 am

Mississippiskinsfan2 wrote::shock: Didn't know there are so many perfect people in this world who do the right thing every time and who have never made a bad decision in their life :roll:


Mike made a huge mistake, maybe the worse of his career and he needs to own up to it. He is the HC and the buck stops with him. You see your most prized player hobbling all over the field, you pull him out. A non expert like myself knew that and I was right. Even in that case I don't think he deserves to be fired. He does need to learn from this and I think he will be a better and more responsible head coach than before. I just pray that RGIII will be back and better than before for 2014, if God's will, 2013.

Hog
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:25 pm
Location: Clarksburg

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:47 am

NYFINESTSKINSFAN wrote:
Mississippiskinsfan2 wrote::shock: Didn't know there are so many perfect people in this world who do the right thing every time and who have never made a bad decision in their life :roll:


Mike made a huge mistake, maybe the worse of his career and he needs to own up to it. He is the HC and the buck stops with him. You see your most prized player hobbling all over the field, you pull him out. A non expert like myself knew that and I was right. Even in that case I don't think he deserves to be fired. He does need to learn from this and I think he will be a better and more responsible head coach than before. I just pray that RGIII will be back and better than before for 2014, if God's will, 2013.


Not sure about the firing but depending on how much heat the NFLPA puts on this I believe has a lot to do with the final outcome, I mean we already know it's not looking good, the question is what will be the fans reaction, I tend to think that once the surgery is done and RG3 releases some statement it may do enough to get the heat off Shanahan, however many things can happen and if there is gross negligence found I can see Goodell suspending him for a certain amount of games, I also feel that the turf is about to get better attention too. Pete Carroll is really causing a crap storm and by his player getting hurt too, more fuel to a already hot fire........ My 2 cents

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 290
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:59 pm
Location: St. Robert, MO

Postby FLWSkin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:48 am

Yes but this Dr hasn't seen the MRI or RGIII's knee so he is really just speaking in genearlities. Dr. Andrews knows for sure and I understand Mort got the info from him. Apparently the ACL is damaged but not torn so it is something in between a tear and no damage. That's my understanding of what I saw.

Hog
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:25 pm
Location: Clarksburg

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:10 am

FLWSkin wrote:Yes but this Dr hasn't seen the MRI or RGIII's knee so he is really just speaking in genearlities. Dr. Andrews knows for sure and I understand Mort got the info from him. Apparently the ACL is damaged but not torn so it is something in between a tear and no damage. That's my understanding of what I saw.


Not sure what you read but even Mort's news isn't that good as far as what I have read. I know the surgery is ongoing currently and from what I heard last the LCL and ACL were torn, needing to have the knee reconstructed but the severity wouldn't be know until they go in and see. Hopefully it goes well and the old damage and scar tissue isn't that bad. I hope he can come back and make a recovery like Adrian Peterson, however I doubt it and hope he comes back 2014 really hungry.

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 290
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:59 pm
Location: St. Robert, MO

Postby FLWSkin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:15 am

DaSkinz Baby wrote:
FLWSkin wrote:Yes but this Dr hasn't seen the MRI or RGIII's knee so he is really just speaking in genearlities. Dr. Andrews knows for sure and I understand Mort got the info from him. Apparently the ACL is damaged but not torn so it is something in between a tear and no damage. That's my understanding of what I saw.


Not sure what you read but even Mort's news isn't that good as far as what I have read. I know the surgery is ongoing currently and from what I heard last the LCL and ACL were torn, needing to have the knee reconstructed but the severity wouldn't be know until they go in and see. Hopefully it goes well and the old damage and scar tissue isn't that bad. I hope he can come back and make a recovery like Adrian Peterson, however I doubt it and hope he comes back 2014 really hungry.


I'm going by Mort saying Dr Andrews saying it is a 6-8 month recovery. So I don't know where your doubt comes from. I have no idea, just that Mort (who usually knows his stuff) is saying its not season threatening.

#33
Posts: 4084
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:44 am

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:17 am

DaSkinz Baby wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:I think you need to check more sources. The injury is a tear to his LCL which is a longer heal time than an ACL.


This is incorrect. A LCL is a much quicker recovery time than an ACL since it had beyer blood flow.


Really?? LMMFAO cause Michael Jablonski who Dr. Andrews taught says this about the LCL:

Jablonski says it's unlikely that the LCL was torn in isolation – "I've seen like five isolated LCL tears [in 13 years]" – and it's the potential of multiple ligament damage that puts Griffin's short-term prognosis in the most peril. Jablonski said ACL injuries take six to eight months to heal and "a year to forget about it," meaning a year before the patient doesn't feel any after-effects. The LCL complicates the issue, because while an ACL regulates front-to-back motion, the LCL controls side-to-side movement.

"It makes it more difficult," said Jablonski, now the orthopedic doctor for the University of Central Florida athletic department. "You're trying to restore stability in more than one plane."

And because Griffin's mastery comes in both straight-ahead speed and lateral motion, his full recovery will be more tenuous than it would be for a more traditional drop-back passer.

"For that type of player to return to that same level of play, the chances are going to be lower than if it was a single-ligament injury," Jablonski said.

Asked if Griffin's Olympic-level speed is at risk, Jablonski said, "There's no question it's at risk. Not everybody regains full range of motion. It's still unstable and maybe can't get back to what it was."

ROTFLMAO
You used a quote that from a Dr. that doesn't address my comments at all. I said the LCL heals quicker, because it does, and the Dr. said it complicate things. OK, so how does that refute what I said.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:51 pm

Postby Mississippiskinsfan2 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:33 am

NYFINESTSKINSFAN wrote:
Mississippiskinsfan2 wrote::shock: Didn't know there are so many perfect people in this world who do the right thing every time and who have never made a bad decision in their life :roll:


Mike made a huge mistake, maybe the worse of his career and he needs to own up to it. He is the HC and the buck stops with him. You see your most prized player hobbling all over the field, you pull him out. A non expert like myself knew that and I was right. Even in that case I don't think he deserves to be fired. He does need to learn from this and I think he will be a better and more responsible head coach than before. I just pray that RGIII will be back and better than before for 2014, if God's will, 2013.

Maybe he did. Its easy to sit in front of your TV watching it all from the outside and only knowing what you have been told then say what was the right thing to do. You really know nothing about the people involved, what was going threw their heads and you didn't have a kid in front of you going " I'm fine and I want to be out there". And what if it all went for the good? What if we won and he didn't hurt himself more?Then everyone would be on here saying they knew that was going to happen too. They see it right, they see it well and yet they think this saves me from my hell

Hog
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:25 pm
Location: Clarksburg

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:43 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:I think you need to check more sources. The injury is a tear to his LCL which is a longer heal time than an ACL.


This is incorrect. A LCL is a much quicker recovery time than an ACL since it had beyer blood flow.


Really?? LMMFAO cause Michael Jablonski who Dr. Andrews taught says this about the LCL:

Jablonski says it's unlikely that the LCL was torn in isolation – "I've seen like five isolated LCL tears [in 13 years]" – and it's the potential of multiple ligament damage that puts Griffin's short-term prognosis in the most peril. Jablonski said ACL injuries take six to eight months to heal and "a year to forget about it," meaning a year before the patient doesn't feel any after-effects. The LCL complicates the issue, because while an ACL regulates front-to-back motion, the LCL controls side-to-side movement.

"It makes it more difficult," said Jablonski, now the orthopedic doctor for the University of Central Florida athletic department. "You're trying to restore stability in more than one plane."

And because Griffin's mastery comes in both straight-ahead speed and lateral motion, his full recovery will be more tenuous than it would be for a more traditional drop-back passer.

"For that type of player to return to that same level of play, the chances are going to be lower than if it was a single-ligament injury," Jablonski said.

Asked if Griffin's Olympic-level speed is at risk, Jablonski said, "There's no question it's at risk. Not everybody regains full range of motion. It's still unstable and maybe can't get back to what it was."

ROTFLMAO
You used a quote that from a Dr. that doesn't address my comments at all. I said the LCL heals quicker, because it does, and the Dr. said it complicate things. OK, so how does that refute what I said.


Well thus far I have been batting 1000 we will just have to wait and see. NO WHERE DOES IT SAY THE LCL HEALS QUICKER other than your post. I will believe Dr. Daniel Gordon from:

Carolina Imaging
Hospital · Clinic
3628 Cape Center Dr
Fayetteville, NC 28304-4406

Before I take your post with anything more than a grain of salt. I do know that generally a ACL is seen as a more severe injury especially coupled with it already being injured, however LCL tears and the repair can be very long and drawn out. But for the sake of argument and your ROFLYAO let's just hope and pray that he heals quickly and can come back by the start of the season.

#33
Posts: 4084
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:44 am

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:08 am

DaSkinz Baby wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:I think you need to check more sources. The injury is a tear to his LCL which is a longer heal time than an ACL.


This is incorrect. A LCL is a much quicker recovery time than an ACL since it had beyer blood flow.


Really?? LMMFAO cause Michael Jablonski who Dr. Andrews taught says this about the LCL:

Jablonski says it's unlikely that the LCL was torn in isolation – "I've seen like five isolated LCL tears [in 13 years]" – and it's the potential of multiple ligament damage that puts Griffin's short-term prognosis in the most peril. Jablonski said ACL injuries take six to eight months to heal and "a year to forget about it," meaning a year before the patient doesn't feel any after-effects. The LCL complicates the issue, because while an ACL regulates front-to-back motion, the LCL controls side-to-side movement.

"It makes it more difficult," said Jablonski, now the orthopedic doctor for the University of Central Florida athletic department. "You're trying to restore stability in more than one plane."

And because Griffin's mastery comes in both straight-ahead speed and lateral motion, his full recovery will be more tenuous than it would be for a more traditional drop-back passer.

"For that type of player to return to that same level of play, the chances are going to be lower than if it was a single-ligament injury," Jablonski said.

Asked if Griffin's Olympic-level speed is at risk, Jablonski said, "There's no question it's at risk. Not everybody regains full range of motion. It's still unstable and maybe can't get back to what it was."

ROTFLMAO
You used a quote that from a Dr. that doesn't address my comments at all. I said the LCL heals quicker, because it does, and the Dr. said it complicate things. OK, so how does that refute what I said.


Well thus far I have been batting 1000 we will just have to wait and see. NO WHERE DOES IT SAY THE LCL HEALS QUICKER other than your post. I will believe Dr. Daniel Gordon from:

Carolina Imaging
Hospital · Clinic
3628 Cape Center Dr
Fayetteville, NC 28304-4406

Before I take your post with anything more than a grain of salt. I do know that generally a ACL is seen as a more severe injury especially coupled with it already being injured, however LCL tears and the repair can be very long and drawn out. But for the sake of argument and your ROFLYAO let's just hope and pray that he heals quickly and can come back by the start of the season.

Ok, maybe you should listen to this clip from the SpotsJunkies when they had the Executive director of at St Vincent sports medicine come on and talk about RG3 and the recovery process. He called the LCL recovery almost a non factor since it heals at a much faster rate than the ACL.
http://castroller.com/Podcasts/TheSportsJunkies/3253870

I'm not disagreeing with your write from your Dr, I'm just saying it doesn't discredit what I'm saying.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

tribe
Posts: 6125
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:02 pm
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:13 am

SkinsJock wrote:BS is BS - Dr Andrews knows what is going on

there are a lot of 'quacks' that think they do :lol:



LOTS of quacks and quite A FEW TROLLS........roaming around here
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

Hog
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:25 pm
Location: Clarksburg

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:16 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:
Countertrey wrote:Wow... what dimension was the presser you watched in? I watched the one in THIS universe...

I will admit that I only saw clips on a DC morning news show, so I may have taken it out of context...BUT I still contend that it was selfish to not man up and pull yourself out of a game (if your dumbass coach won't do it himself) to give your team a better chance to advance and win.


The interview after the game he did come off a bit arrogant, probably because they lost and he was injured, although he did say he was out there because HE GIVES THE REDSKINS THE BEST CHANCE I will give him a pass and believe that he was caught up in the pain and disappointment in the lose and the injury, I have to believe he knows his knee was tore up at the time of the presser. All great athletes are arrogant to a point, and RG3 is no difference but I don't think he meant to throw Cousins under the bus as his exact comment suggested......

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football