Any and All News About RG3's Knee - Merged

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:19 am

OH MAN - are you kidding me ... :lol:
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:20 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:I think you need to check more sources. The injury is a tear to his LCL which is a longer heal time than an ACL.

This is incorrect. A LCL is a much quicker recovery time than an ACL since it had beyer blood flow.

Really?? LMMFAO cause Michael Jablonski who Dr. Andrews taught says this about the LCL:

Jablonski says it's unlikely that the LCL was torn in isolation – "I've seen like five isolated LCL tears [in 13 years]" – and it's the potential of multiple ligament damage that puts Griffin's short-term prognosis in the most peril. Jablonski said ACL injuries take six to eight months to heal and "a year to forget about it," meaning a year before the patient doesn't feel any after-effects. The LCL complicates the issue, because while an ACL regulates front-to-back motion, the LCL controls side-to-side movement.

"It makes it more difficult," said Jablonski, now the orthopedic doctor for the University of Central Florida athletic department. "You're trying to restore stability in more than one plane."

And because Griffin's mastery comes in both straight-ahead speed and lateral motion, his full recovery will be more tenuous than it would be for a more traditional drop-back passer.

"For that type of player to return to that same level of play, the chances are going to be lower than if it was a single-ligament injury," Jablonski said.

Asked if Griffin's Olympic-level speed is at risk, Jablonski said, "There's no question it's at risk. Not everybody regains full range of motion. It's still unstable and maybe can't get back to what it was."

ROTFLMAO
You used a quote that from a Dr. that doesn't address my comments at all. I said the LCL heals quicker, because it does, and the Dr. said it complicate things. OK, so how does that refute what I said.

Well thus far I have been batting 1000 we will just have to wait and see. NO WHERE DOES IT SAY THE LCL HEALS QUICKER other than your post. I will believe Dr. Daniel Gordon from:

Carolina Imaging
Hospital · Clinic
3628 Cape Center Dr
Fayetteville, NC 28304-4406

Before I take your post with anything more than a grain of salt. I do know that generally a ACL is seen as a more severe injury especially coupled with it already being injured, however LCL tears and the repair can be very long and drawn out. But for the sake of argument and your ROFLYAO let's just hope and pray that he heals quickly and can come back by the start of the season.

Ok, maybe you should listen to this clip from the SpotsJunkies when they had the Executive director of at St Vincent sports medicine come on and talk about RG3 and the recovery process. He called the LCL recovery almost a non factor since it heals at a much faster rate than the ACL.
http://castroller.com/Podcasts/TheSportsJunkies/3253870

I'm not disagreeing with your write from your Dr, I'm just saying it doesn't discredit what I'm saying.

Agreed.....two differing opinions on LCL injuries, all the while we hope and pray RG3 is able to heal quickly and come back in time......HTTR!!!!

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:22 am

SkinsJock wrote:OH MAN - are you kidding me ... :lol:

So your going to tell me that based on all the other pressers he has had he was the same? You didn't pick up that he seemed a bit annoyed and really wasn't "into" this press conference? I understand many things are open to interpretation but man.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:23 am

tribeofjudah wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:BS is BS - Dr Andrews knows what is going on

there are a lot of 'quacks' that think they do :lol:

LOTS of quacks and quite A FEW TROLLS........roaming around here

ROTFALMAO AND .. that's the 'good news' .... ROTFALMAO
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:30 am

UK Skins Fan wrote:Plenty of emotion round here, and understandably so. It's at times like this that I prefer not to post for a day or two.

Everything is speculation right now - speculation based on what has been said, and speculation based on what hasn't been said.

Personally, I'm trying to brace for the worst possible news (well, not the very worst possible - that would be career ending injury), and expecting not to see RGIII in the huddle again until 2014. If we get to see him starting in week one next season, a very large bullet will have been dodged by us, by Shanahan, by the Redskins medical staff, and by RGIII.

I'm not speaking from hindsight when I say that I wanted RGIII taken out of the game at halftime on Sunday. Every movement he tried to make was uncomfortable for me, and probably excruciating for him. I like to think that if I'd been in Shanahan's shoes, I'd have had the courage/sense to take #10 out, and brought in Cousins.

I'd have taken that decision based on having a duty of care for the player, and an obligation not to take UNNECESSARY risks with his health. Yes, there are risks for every player on every play, but that does not give coaches a get out of jail free card when making decisions like this.

Not only that, my decision would have been based on my belief that RGIII's standard of play was well below normal. Yes, there were a couple of drops, but a number of his throws just weren't on target. With his performance against Cleveland, Cousins had earned the right to be trusted with the job in the second half. I'll go further than that, and say that if it had been Rex Grossman dressed on the sideline instead of Cousins, I'd have sent Rex in. A gamble in terms of trying to win the game, but so was keeping Griffin in the game. And it would have removed the foolish gamble with RGIII's health.

Just my opinion. And as I said, believe me that this isn't just hindsight.

Shanahan has stated that he'll probably second guess his decisions, and he'd be right to. I think he got this wrong.

Thanks UK ..

worth looking at again IMO :roll:

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:33 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:
Countertrey wrote:Wow... what dimension was the presser you watched in? I watched the one in THIS universe...

I will admit that I only saw clips on a DC morning news show, so I may have taken it out of context...BUT I still contend that it was selfish to not man up and pull yourself out of a game (if your dumbass coach won't do it himself) to give your team a better chance to advance and win.

Players want to play and most won't take themselves out of a game. It's Shanahan's job to make the right decision and protect his player, and he blew it in this instance by leaving him in for too long. Could RGIII have chosen his words a little better? Possibly. But the guy is 22 years old and had just gotten seriously injured and the team's season ended, so cut the guy some slack.
Suck and Luck

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:47 am

I can't stand emotional fans. None of us have seen the MRI, examined his knee, or has the complete medical understanding of this. You can't Google your way into a medical degree.

Dr. James Andrews is not going to b.s. the recovery time. And, nobody should be listening to anyone other than the person with the full information at hand. If you don't trust Dr. Andrews, that's your business. But, he doesn't have a history of b.s'ng, and he's 72.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:51 am

The Hogster wrote:I can't stand emotional fans. None of us have seen the MRI, examined his knee, or has the complete medical understanding of this. You can't Google your way into a medical degree.

Dr. James Andrews is not going to b.s. the recovery time. And, nobody should be listening to anyone other than the person with the full information at hand. If you don't trust Dr. Andrews, that's your business. But, he doesn't have a history of b.s'ng, and he's 72.

But it seems the Redskins have a history of BS TOLOGY especially with the injury. First Shanny said the Doc gave the okay, then game day a report comes out he didn't give the okay and has been scared that he is even playing. To now there seems to be some back pedaling by both parties to now waiting to hear from Andrews himself. All the while us fans are on pins and needles doing every second refreshes on Redskins.Com to see if there is any new updates!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Hog

RG3's Dad gives update on surgery

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:00 am

Robert Griffin III underwent surgery early this morning to repair a torn lateral collateral ligament in his right knee and during the procedure it was discovered he also suffered damage to his anterior cruciate ligament.

USA Today Sports received a text message from Griffin III’s father who says the initial MRI showed no evidence of a tear to the ACL, the ligament he had repaired in 2009.

“Robert’s ACL is intact, but not enough for his profession,” Robert Griffin III said. “You and I could be fine. But he is an athlete. So they will replace.”

The surgery was performed by orthopedist and Redskins employee James Andrews in Pensacola, Fl. Griffin III aggravated the injury last Sunday during the team’s playoff game against the Seattle Seahawks. He originally suffered a sprain to his LCL on Dec. 9 during a game against the Baltimore Ravens.

Griffin III's timetable to return is not known at this point. Stay tuned for more updates as this story develops.

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-w ... te-surgery

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:30 am

There's no point in speculating on recovery time when no one has an idea of what exactly the doctors are doing with the knee. Mort appears to have jumped the gun with his report, and we won't know anything until after the surgery is completed.
Suck and Luck

spudstr04

Postby spudstr04 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:38 am

While conducting surgery to repair the torn lateral collateral ligament in Robert Griffin III’s right knee, Dr. James Andrews found that the quarterback’s anterior cruciate ligament is in relatively good condition. But a person with knowledge of the situation said the ligament “needs to be stronger.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... -at-7-a-m/
#21 = Forever in our hearts

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:52 am

The surgery on Robert Griffin III's right knee is complete. Now comes the hard part for the Washington Redskins quarterback.

Robert Griffin's father confirmed to USA TODAY Sports that it was determined Wednesday that RG3 needed to have his anterior cruciate ligament repaired.
"Robert's ACL is intact, but not enough for his profession," Griffin II said, via text. "You and I could be fine. But he is an athlete. So they will replace."

Griffin is facing a long recovery after surgery on Wednesday morning to his lateral collateral ligament and ACL. Earlier, a source close to Griffin told NFL.com's Jeff Darlington that the final determination on whether Griffin needed his ACL repaired would be made during surgery by Dr. James Andrews.

At that point, it was determined that the ACL also needed to be repaired.

Getting both ligaments repaired could slow Griffin's recovery, but we are living in a different era of ACL surgeries. Adrian Peterson nearly broke the NFL's rushing record after tearing his ACL in late December 2011. Players routinely return from ACL surgery in time for Week 1 after getting injured late in the season.
NFL Honors

Vote for the top 10 plays of the 2012 season. More ...

Every player's recovery varies. We'll hear a lot of estimated timelines, but no one knows this early in the process.

Some players need a full season to get fully back up to speed. Others, like Peterson, look better than ever. It's discouraging for Griffin's development because he will have to focus on rehab rather than honing his skills in his first full offseason as a pro. But he's been through this before at Baylor, and Griffin's accuracy and decision-making stood out even more than his speed as a rookie.

He will likely have to lean on those skills more than ever in 2013, because the Redskins' read-option offense may have to be pared down as Griffin gets healthy again.

RG3 somehow managed to rise above the lofty expectations and hype he brought to the NFL in his rookie season. There's no reason to think he can't overcome this injury too.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:53 am

Dude, you really need to provide links. Before the copy/paste job.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:00 pm

That's an unintentionally hilarious double post wrapped around Irn-Bru's request.

Well he's in for recovery and rehab. But Shanahan has to make sure that Griffin is healed before he goes back onto the playing field; the precedent has already been set that Griffin will play injured. It's Shanahan's job to make sure that doesn't happen this time.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:02 pm

This is not the best news, but expected.

The fact that RGIII is 22 (23 in 1 month), he has an incredible work ethic, and a very supportive family (and military) will help him in the tremendously in the rehabilitation process.

I personally believe he will be back in 6-7 months, but not play much in the preseason (making his recovery period more like 8-9 months). However, he most likely will not regain the explosiveness we saw in weeks 1-10 until 2014. Then again, he's not an RB so as long as he has 80% of the speed he had last year, he should be just fine.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football