Facing forward

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:05 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:I agree Welch.
We saw the difference Merriweather made. I think a good saftey would help a bunch with the return of Orakpo as well. Paulsen is a keeper. He can really block and makes most of the catches thrown his way. Doughty is a sound tackler another keeper.
Big ups to this Oline. They looked like the best Oline in the league this year.

Draft wishes,
cornerback, safety, MLB and another NT to help free up Rak and Kerrigan.

I agree but we need a couple world class linemen on that front line still. They have been really impressive after all the criticism this year, but they're still a little rusty on the pass protection. Again, they improved vastly through the year, a couple extra powerhouses would solve the issue.

I also think we need to steal up another powerful WR. Garcon is great as well as Moss. Can't believe how strong Moss is still going. Moss will be leaving in probably a few more seasons; Garcon might still have issues with his toe next year (GET HIM HEALED UP!!).

So another threat would be great. I've heard a lot of people saying great things about Aldrick Robinson but I just haven't seen enough of his play to know if he's a future "secret weapon".

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:05 pm

We finally have depth! Guys that could start on other teams who won't for us. Guys like Rob Jackson. Josh Leribus. Kirk Cousins. Zo Alexander.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:06 pm

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
We saw the difference Merriweather made. I think a good saftey would help a bunch with the return of Orakpo as well. Paulsen is a keeper. He can really block and makes most of the catches thrown his way. Doughty is a sound tackler another keeper.

Draft wishes,

I agree but we need a couple world class linemen on that front line still. They have been really impressive after all the criticism this year, but they're still a little rusty on the pass protection. Again, they improved vastly through the year, a couple extran powerhouses would solve the issue.

I also think we need to steal up another powerful WR. Garcon is great as well as Moss. Can't believe how strong Moss is still going. Moss will be leaving in probably a few more seasons; Garcon might still have issues with his toe next year (GET HIM HEALED UP!!).

So another threat would be great. I've heard a lot of people saying great things about Aldrick Robinson but I just haven't seen enough of his play to know if he's a future "secret weapon".

I think Aldrick makes a quantum leap next year. Also Josh Morgan.

I am still out to lunch on LEONARD!!!
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Re: Facing forward

Postby markshark84 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:08 pm

welch wrote:Let's assume that Kirk Cousins will start at QB all season in 2013. What else can we see?

- Rex G returns as backup

- Focus on the defense...especially DBs and LBs.

- A decision to be made about Fred Davis. He was good, but the Redskins won without him. Is he worth paying?

- Garcon needs to get his foot healed. Best receiver in a long time

- Santana might be 33 or 34 next year, but he's still sharp.

- Cooley? Sadly, I can't imagine him returning.

- OL took injuries and improved. Maybe the Redskins draft another lineman a few rounds down?

- Defense will improve just by having Orakpo return.

- I hope London Fletcher returns, but I don't have to live with his pain. If he retires, hire him as a coach.

- Draft a safety and a linebacker. Of the current safeties, definitely keep Reed Doughty even though he's not all-pro. Still good enough to make the team

- Keep Lorenzo Alexander.

- Keep D. Young. He does the job with no fussing and dramatics.

- DeAngelo Hall is good enough. Sometimes makes my head hurt, but he can play, and CB is a tough position.

- What about all the RB's not named "Morris"? Which ones are keepers?

What else?

(Yes, Redskins should win NFC East next season, in tight battle with the Giants)

Agree with much of this, but I expect RGIII to be back next year. Personally, I do not see us winning the division with Cousins. He is a good QB, but there is a considerable drop off between him and RGIII.

Defense should be the PRIMARY focus in this years draft; no question. We should draft 2 DB with BOTH our top picks. We only have 1 starting calibur player in our secondary. I don't think we can count on Merriweather moving forward. He has not been able to finish a season (for one reason or another) since 2010. I don't expect anything from Jackson. After that, I would personally focus on a DE or CB.

Davis will get offers, but not huge ones. He is a question mark with his inability (one way or the other) to play a 16 game season. He should be back and we desperately need a pass catching TE. Agree Cooley won't be back.

Agree that Moss has gas left in the tank. He should continue to be part of the gameplan until he proves he is no longer an asset. The decision should be based on his play and not his age. Garcon is great, but I wouldn't mind seeing us draft a WR late.

Helu is a great compliment to Morris. Once he is back we are VERY good at the RB position.

I don't see Fletch retiring. He is too competitive. I think our LB team is good as long as we get Jackson back. With him we have 5 VERY good LBs. Once Fletch retires we can move Riley to his old spot, draft an ILB and he should transition well while playing with 3 good, young LBs.

Agree with OL, but they looked much better because of RGIII. We still need upgrades at the guard and RT position. But I agree that this is not a focus and if there is a deal late in the draft, I wouldn't be upset if they draft an OL late.

Lorenzo is the MAN. He should be an offseason priority. Young was solid also.

I have always maintained, and continue to, believe that DHall is a fine CB. He is grossly overpaid and the FO shoudl consider restructuring his deal, but I see no reason to draft over or sign a replacement for him.

Doughty had a great playoff game, but no matter what he is a role player. He should be resigned as a solid reserve, but not a starter. He is also a solid special teams player.

I see our draft priorities as:
1. DB
2. DB
3. (tie) DE
3. (tie) CB
4. OT/OG
5. WR
6. LB
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:12 pm

emoses14 wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:

Draft wishes,

I agree but we need a couple world class linemen on that front line still. They have been really impressive after all the criticism this year, but they're still a little rusty on the pass protection. Again, they improved vastly through the year, a couple extran powerhouses would solve the issue.

Man I can't stand Morgan. Am I being too harsh here or only focusing on the plays I've seen him drop balls that hit him in the hands? What am I missing here? Seems a lot of folks have faith in Morgan.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:23 pm

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
emoses14 wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:

Draft wishes,

Man I can't stand Morgan. Am I being too harsh here or only focusing on the plays I've seen him drop balls that hit him in the hands? What am I missing here? Seems a lot of folks have faith in Morgan.

OH I don't think he was outstanding this year, but I do think that there's something there to work with. In addition to balls he dropped, he's also caught some big catches for first downs and he blocks well.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:26 pm

emoses14 wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
emoses14 wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:

Draft wishes,

OH I don't think he was outstanding this year, but I do think that there's something there to work with. In addition to balls he dropped, he's also caught some big catches for first downs and he blocks well.

Thanks for the insight. It would be great to see the man grow into something dangerous.

I mean just look at our o-line and defense earlier in the year and who they became towards the end of the season. I'd start an apology thread on here in a second if he's groomed into a power catcher. With that, good luck Morgan

Hog

Postby ACW » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:50 pm

Oh, and again, ;furious; Mara.
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:43 pm

I think I see roughly the same draft priorities as Mark:

I see our draft priorities as:
1. DB
2. DB
3. (tie) DE
3. (tie) CB
4. OT/OG
5. WR
6. LB

Maybe LB instead of DE, but secondary the biggest need. The team might not need another super-OL: maybe more work means more cohesion, and that will be good enough. Look for OL down in the draft, roughly the place they found Bostic and Jacoby.

Doughty will probably always be a good sub...somehow, I see him and remember that he had to start because Sean Taylor was hurt and then murdered. Doughty can't be Taylor, but he's OK.

Oh, and I'll be happy enough if Griffin can play in 2014. Just let him heal.

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:38 pm

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:

Draft wishes,

I agree but we need a couple world class linemen on that front line still. They have been really impressive after all the criticism this year, but they're still a little rusty on the pass protection. Again, they improved vastly through the year, a couple extra powerhouses would solve the issue.

I actually think our WRs and Oline are fine. I think Hankerson, Morgan and Robinson have room for growth. A large possesion receiver wouldnt hurt but our Tight end in Davis and Paulen could fill that role if needed. I like having the speed and explosiveness that our current WRs possess.

As far as Oline I like what I see already. More help is always welcome.

Pretty much just have to add more depth on the defensive side.

Its just amazing how much upside this team now has. RG3 and Morris have really boosted this team. They are the main pieces to this puzzle obviously. Great season cant wait.
Last edited by HEROHAMO on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:30 pm

Great season can wait.

Until next year. The team will get better. Shanahan has dropped the varieties of "Albert Haynesworth".

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:20 pm

If I'm the Redskins, I might consider bringing in free agent Dwayne Bowe as a compliment to Garcon. Although I like Hankerson & Morgan, both of them have been inconsistent. Dropped passes, not consistently open. Bowe is a sure upgrade over Morgan--who was our #2.

I'd rather have Garcon & Bowe as the top 2 WRs. With Moss in the slot, and Hankerson & Morgan also in the mix but to a lesser extent for now.

On the defensive side of the ball, Glenn Dorsey is a talented Defensive End that can help in that rotation. With Carriker back and Jenkins able to mix in. I would think that Dorsey could offer an upgrade over Kedric Golston.

Brent Grimes would also be on my list. You can never have too many corners, and Grimes would immediately become our best cover corner, allowing us to move D Hall around more.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:45 pm

ACW wrote:DEFINITELY keep Jackson.

Don't forget about Carriker's return too...A rotation up front of Jenkins, Carriker, Bowen and Cofield could be nasty.

Chris Neild showed promise before his injury too... We are suppose to be pretty deep up front.. loosing two starters and a back up this year, I'd say we are exactly that!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:45 am

The Hogster wrote:If I'm the Redskins, I might consider bringing in free agent Dwayne Bowe as a compliment to Garcon. Although I like Hankerson & Morgan, both of them have been inconsistent. Dropped passes, not consistently open. Bowe is a sure upgrade over Morgan--who was our #2.

I'd rather have Garcon & Bowe as the top 2 WRs. With Moss in the slot, and Hankerson & Morgan also in the mix but to a lesser extent for now.

On the defensive side of the ball, Glenn Dorsey is a talented Defensive End that can help in that rotation. With Carriker back and Jenkins able to mix in. I would think that Dorsey could offer an upgrade over Kedric Golston.

Brent Grimes would also be on my list. You can never have too many corners, and Grimes would immediately become our best cover corner, allowing us to move D Hall around more.

Tell me more about Bowe...someone who might have passed across my eyes, but without my noticing...

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:00 am

IMO - Bowe is NOT a high character type player :roll:
Griffin will become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football