Hognostication Playoffs 2013 - Divisional Round

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:42 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
Redskin in Canada wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:400.5 POINTS

I promise you. I will NOT be psyched. I WILL make my picks and put my score any time after midnight Thursday as established by the rules.

And I will WIN on BOTH counts: games -and- score. But the score will be unnecessary. :wink:

I just thought I'd add a little levity here

Being the visiting team in the Hognostication playoffs means you pick first (Visitors' picks must be in by Thursday 11:59 PM EST). The home team may make their picks at any time up until the start of the first game of the week. Once the home team has picked, the visiting teams picks are locked, and can not be changed, but the home team can still make changes until the deadline. You must supply a winner for each game and a point total for the entire weekend.

so as I understand it AND I'm not very bright :wink:

IF RiC were to post his picks and tie breaker - DM's picks AND points total are locked in ... No?

You are bright enough for this and a lot more.

Your quote and your interpretation are correct. These picks and the total score are locked and cannot be changed. :up:

I do not need to post to lock them. HOWEVER, I can wait until the end of my deadline to capture any potential information, such as injuries, weather, etc, which may be known prior to the start of the first game. :wink:
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:10 pm

Redskin in Canada wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:
Redskin in Canada wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:400.5 POINTS

I promise you. I will NOT be psyched. I WILL make my picks and put my score any time after midnight Thursday as established by the rules.

And I will WIN on BOTH counts: games -and- score. But the score will be unnecessary. :wink:

I just thought I'd add a little levity here

Being the visiting team in the Hognostication playoffs means you pick first (Visitors' picks must be in by Thursday 11:59 PM EST). The home team may make their picks at any time up until the start of the first game of the week. Once the home team has picked, the visiting teams picks are locked, and can not be changed, but the home team can still make changes until the deadline. You must supply a winner for each game and a point total for the entire weekend.

so as I understand it AND I'm not very bright :wink:

IF RiC were to post his picks and tie breaker - DM's picks AND points total are locked in ... No?

You are bright enough for this and a lot more.

Your quote and your interpretation are correct. These picks and the total score are locked and cannot be changed. :up:

Not yet, they aren't.

Redskin in Canada wrote:I do not need to post to lock them.

I believe you do since it is before 11:59 PM Thursday.

Saturday, Jan. 12
4:30 Baltimore @ Denver
8:00 Green Bay @ San Francisco

Sunday, Jan. 13
1:00 Seattle @ Atlanta
4:30 Houston @ New England

184.5 POINTS
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:38 pm

I agree with the Darth man ...

I could not believe he put that out there - if RiC had posted at any time BEFORE Darth changed his mind - he could have not only "locked" him into the points but also at any time changed his own picks and point spread BEFORE the first game

not to worry - I have faith in the man from the North side vrs the man from the Dark side
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:56 am

DarthMonk wrote:Not yet, they aren't.

I knew you would choose to write this and you would post your true picks and score before your deadline. :wink:

You follow the Vegas lines very closely with respect to picks in general and now in scores in this round.

However, a maneuver to play games with the score like this one could become a controversial proposition for you and other players if we are not completely sure about the interpretation of the rule. I am not interested to clarify the rules in THIS case but it might be useful to do so if another situation arises in the future.

I choose not to to compete and decide the outcome of this round of the playoffs based on an interpretation of the rules. I rather compete knowing full well that you brought your best possible game against me. Playing against a ridiculous high score would have been too easy and then dragging this round over the interpretation of the rules would have been a no fun "Commissioner's issue" God forbid! :evil:

As I wrote previously, I am in it to try to win with the games -and- the score (even if the score becomes unnecessary). After all, I am defending my 1st place of last year. :wink:

SkinsJock wrote:I agree with the Darth man ...

I could not believe he put that out there - if RiC had posted at any time BEFORE Darth changed his mind - he could have not only "locked" him into the points but also at any time changed his own picks and point spread BEFORE the first game

not to worry - I have faith in the man from the North side vrs the man from the Dark side

I did not want to place my picks on what was obviously a maneuver to provoke an early reaction from yours truly to show my picks and score when Darth was acting under the assumption that he could still change his picks and score prior to his deadline.

Darth tried to prompt me to post my picks and I chose not to do it. Now he has posted his ... maybe. But he can still try to change his mind until midnight tonight ... maybe. :lol:
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:20 am

As I understand the 'rules' - the 'visiting' picks may be changed up until the deadline ... BUT .... Once the 'home' team' picks are made, the 'visiting' picks are locked and can NOT be changed ... The 'home' picks may be changed at any time, up to the deadline

I'd prefer to not make this a under or over challenge but that is how it is set up - I will be making my picks based on the teams that I think will win - the points are just a guesstimate

we could consider using the same format but having the points only by PM so that it does not unduly punish the visiting poster

all the best
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:29 am

SkinsJock wrote:As I understand the 'rules' - the 'visiting' picks may be changed up until the deadline ... BUT .... Once the 'home' team' picks are made, the 'visiting' picks are locked and can NOT be changed ... The 'home' picks may be changed at any time, up to the deadline

This is ONE interpretation. What fun would it have been for me in THIS case to play against a ridiculous high score and then argue about the rule? Not much.

Another possible interpretation is that once the visiting team picks, it is what it is and it is not allowed to change regardless of whether the home team picks or not but certainly when it does.

I'd prefer to not make this a under or over challenge but that is how it is set up - I will be making my picks based on the teams that I think will win - the points are just a guesstimate

I think it is about both but the home team has the possibility to make it a score round.

we could consider using the same format but having the points only by PM so that it does not unduly punish the visiting poster

all the best

I have won both ways, visiting and at home. I do not think that there is an advantage either way if you choose your total score wisely as a visiting team. The only issues may arise are those which happen between Thursday and Sunday: weather, injuries, etc.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:53 am

no worries - the "interpretation" I had was
once the home team picked, the visiting team is locked in AND the home team could make changes

LAST WEEK - I did not know that Joe Webb was going to be the QB but I did not think that the Vikings could beat the Packers anyway ...

I'm glad you 'played it' the way you did - I don't think that Darth fully understood what he put out there ... :lol:

HAIL

Currently 50-41

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:58 am

Redskin in Canada wrote:Darth tried to prompt me to post my picks

RiC: Believe what you want but in all honesty, I was simply trying to be funny.

SJ got the joke.

When SJ posted I realized you could lock my picks by making yours.

SJ: Thanks for the post.

RiC: Thanks for not locking me in. I think the rules are clear. I just did not read them carefully before SJ's post.

DarthMonk

PS - RiC, did you knock me out last year? I think you did.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:31 am

Thanks Darth - I'm also glad it 'worked' the way it did

all the best

I have a lot on my own plate right now ..... :twisted:

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:45 am

Please change my total points to 176.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:32 pm

I'd like the Deadman to weigh in on this. I only see 2 things in the rules that lock a vistor's picks:

1 Thursday 11:59 PM comes and goes.

2 The host makes his picks.

Nothing says the visitor can't change his mind before the deadline as long as the host has not posted his picks.

Deadman?

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:53 pm

Redskin in Canada wrote: I WILL make my picks and put my score any time after midnight Thursday as established by the rules.

You don't have to wait, you can lock his picks in by making yours now.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:58 pm

SkinsJock wrote:As I understand the 'rules' - the 'visiting' picks may be changed up until the deadline ... BUT .... Once the 'home' team' picks are made, the 'visiting' picks are locked and can NOT be changed ... The 'home' picks may be changed at any time, up to the deadline

That is correct.

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:05 pm

DarthMonk wrote:I'd like the Deadman to weigh in on this. I only see 2 things in the rules that lock a vistor's picks:

1 Thursday 11:59 PM comes and goes.

2 The host makes his picks.

Nothing says the visitor can't change his mind before the deadline as long as the host has not posted his picks.

Deadman?

You are correct on all points.

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:26 pm

THAT is why Justice was able to change his points total - his option was still available - the 'tribe' kind of let him off there :twisted:

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Return to Around the League