It's ROY (Rookie of the Year) time!

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:14 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
The Hogster wrote:Time heals. I look to his 2009 recovery to win the Heisman and lead Baylor to 10 wins for the first time in decades. I also look to Jammal Charles' recovery and Adrian Peterson's. Obviously each injury is different, but I think RGIII has earned the presumption that if anyone can come back better than ever, it's him. Also important to note that he plays QB and not RB. I am optimistic. Put me in the category of people who think he'll be as good if not better.

He just worries me man. I think about that game and how he made that one unnecessary spin move. And then I think about how just string plays out to the last second. I just hope that this is a wake up call for him. He has to improve on protecting himself. That gutsy hero stuff aint helping us from the sofa. I really wanted to see wut this kid could do with an entire off-season dedicated to learning how to become a drop back passer. I dunno... I hope for the best but his injury killed my enthusiasm for next year.

It sucks. And, not to get philosophical. But, everything happens for a reason. I think that this injury will actually force RGIII to speed up his understanding of the game from a different perspective. When the ability to simply out run everyone is taken away, he had to see the game differently. I also expect that process to continue while he's recovering.

Another thing is that his father alluded to the fact that the 2009 reconstruction wasn't strong enough on the ACL. Having his knee repaired structurally by the best surgeon now may prove to save us another setback later. He's only 22. And, now has two structurally sound knees. It's a matter of recovering now, and he has i) youth, ii) freakish athleticism, and iii) an unmatched work ethic on his side. He may start the year looking more like Russell Wilson, but I have no doubt that with time, his speed and explosion will return much like Adrian Peterson's. He got better as the year went on, and he was taking a pounding every play. As long as RGIII has no setbacks, he'll get better steadily.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Postby GoodOldDays » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:30 pm

The Hogster wrote: He's only 22. And, now has two structurally sound knees.

If this is true we're in good shape. At this point, though, there's no way to know how much the knee has suffered structurally from the two injuries. I have no doubt his ligaments will be in decent shape, but it's my understanding that's not the only concern in these kinds of situations.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:32 pm

The Hogster wrote:I think that this injury will actually force RGIII to speed up his understanding of the game from a different perspective.

I hope so.

The Hogster wrote:When the ability to simply out run everyone is taken away, he had to see the game differently. I also expect that process to continue while he's recovering.

He lost that ability weeks ago and he was still doing dumb stuff in the SEA game. That's what makes me hesitant to believe him.

The Hogster wrote:Another thing is that his father alluded to the fact that the 2009 reconstruction wasn't strong enough on the ACL.

This is a positive.

The Hogster wrote:Having his knee repaired structurally by the best surgeon now may prove to save us another setback later.

I thought of this too.

The Hogster wrote:He may start the year looking more like Russell Wilson

He's gonna have to learn how to slide properly.

The Hogster wrote:I have no doubt that with time, his speed and explosion will return much like Adrian Peterson's. He got better as the year went on, and he was taking a pounding every play. As long as RGIII has no setbacks, he'll get better steadily.

I hope so.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby ACW » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:11 pm

DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:40 pm

ACW....I see you are super excited. Me too, but it's a consolation prize to being knocked out of playoffs and a MESSED UP KNEE..... :cry:
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

Hog

Postby ACW » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:48 am

tribeofjudah wrote:ACW....I see you are super excited. Me too, but it's a consolation prize to being knocked out of playoffs and a MESSED UP KNEE..... :cry:
'tis true :(
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

tribe

Postby tribeofjudah » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:57 am

SADLY......this is NOT the NFL version of the ROY....??? It looks like that is a separate thing..... ?

Why hasn't the NFL "announced" who the ROY is......

tribe

Postby tribeofjudah » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:26 am

The Pepsi Max Rook of Year is the one.that matters.....and I don't think that one has been settled.
http://www.nfl.com/m/voting/rookies/2012/YEAR/0

Hog

Postby ACW » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:50 pm

RGIII Sporting News ROTY :)
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:26 pm

Soooo... What's the deal here? He has some congrats on his Twitter but haven't heard officially yet?
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby ACW » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:57 pm

DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:24 pm

As far as we all are concerned - there is NO DOUBT who is the Rookie of the Year

HOWEVER

as you can see - this is a popularity contest based ENTIRELY on votes ....

Fans can vote for one of these five players on www.nfl.com/rookies through 9:00 PM EST on Tuesday, January 29 to determine the 2012 Pepsi MAX Rookie of the Year.
The award will be announced in New Orleans, the site of Super Bowl XLVII, at NFL Honors, a two-hour primetime awards special to air nationally on February 2, 9-11 pm. EST on CBS.

VOTE OFTEN
Hail to the Redskins

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:52 pm

However, Griffin far outdistanced everyone else to win our award, with 363 votes ahead of Luck (213), Wilson (124) and Tampa Bay running back Doug Martin (57). The award was determined in a vote of more than 800 players, coaches and executives.

This means more to me than a fan vote, but I have to wonder why Martin got votes over Morris. Obviously RGIII overshadowed him, but Morris had the third best rookie RB year of all time.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:28 am

Deadskins wrote:
However, Griffin far outdistanced everyone else to win our award, with 363 votes ahead of Luck (213), Wilson (124) and Tampa Bay running back Doug Martin (57). The award was determined in a vote of more than 800 players, coaches and executives.

This means more to me than a fan vote, but I have to wonder why Martin got votes over Morris. Obviously RGIII overshadowed him, but Morris had the third best rookie RB year of all time.

Morris should have been named, But. I think maybe many of the voters think Morris' yardage came as a result of RG3's constant threat to run wide. Holes had to open. Morris needs to have some big games when Robert's not around.

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:57 am

Pepsi Max be damned. Fans know as much as players and coaches. I don't think so. I also don't think allowing fans to vote as many times as they want is a sign of class. ROY is over, as far as I'm concerned. Robert's already the pick of two sets of reputable folks-- sportswriters, and players and coaches. The Pepsi award sounds like a joke, is a joke. Still, Robert will probably win that one two.

By the way, how many still think Manning's still the best choice for MVP? I certainly don't. He took a playoff team back to the playoffs, then lost. Where's the improvement. Brady?-- same problem. Rodgers?--same. Wilson?--maybe.
Kaepernick?--not likely but maybe? Peterson?--tough to beat. Luck?--eighteen or nineteen interceptions and a fifty percent completion percentage. The Atlanta wonder?--I'm not convinced. Ok, so, that leaves somebody...somebody who?

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football