Rate our QBs - past and present

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:37 pm

Countertrey wrote:You have to have a defense in order to get to the playoffs.

Sam

Sonny.

Done.

Lebaron get honorable mention.

Theisman is NOT in the conversation. He and Ryp, were the product of the mind of Gibbs.

+1.

Of course, it's not bad to be produced by one of the all-time great coaches; and Theisman, Rypien, and Doug Williams -- plus Dan Fouts -- were all different. Says a lot about Joe Gibbs that he got the best out of each of them.

I tend to call Sammy the best of all because he made the forward pass a normal part of the offense. The inventor gets extra applause. As an athlete, Slingin Sammy gets extra applause, as well, for his pass defense, his punting, and his running as a single-wing tailback...plus his baseball. As best I remember it, he would have made the St Louis Cardinals except that the Cardinals had an all-star short-stop named Marty Marion.

And Sonny? Merely the best QB I ever saw. How many current QB's are two-for-three left-handed?

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:47 pm

1. Sammy Baugh
2. Sonny Jurgensen
3. Joe Theismann
4. RGIII <<<--- so far ... he will go up.
5. Billy Kilmer
6. Mark Rypien
7. Doug Williams
8. Trent Green <<<--- we should have never let him go
9. Gus Frerotte
10. Patrick Ramsey <<<--- could have been much better with a good hc
11. Mark Brunell <<<--- end of his career
12. Norm Snead
13. Jason Campbell <<<--- Joe was never a personnel guy :-(
14. Rex Grossman
15. Donovan McNabb <<<--- end of his career

Should we mention Brad Johnson, Jeff George, Schroeder, and Le Baron among others currently missing?

Brad and Le Baron would be placed somewhere in the upper half of this list. Some disasters like Shuler are better not to be mentioned at all.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:22 pm

I'll bite.

1 Griff
2 Sammy
3 Sonny
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:46 am

DarthMonk wrote:I'll bite.

1 Griff
2 Sammy
3 Sonny

Comparisons across the decades are ridiculous because players are so much better today. In comparison with their peers, if forced to rank, I'd say it was Sammy, Sonny, and then Grif. In relation to sheer ability, it's the other way around, no doubt. Today, neither Sammy nor Sunny in their primes could beat out Grif for a starting position. Based on one year of play, Grif's the best QB in the NFL today, which would be obvious if he hadn't got hurt. Wilson or Kaepernich (sp?) might be the next best. The old hierarchy has lost a step, still great, but not dominating. Luck still has a lot to prove.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:46 am

How are people putting RGIII in the top 3 right now??

If RGIII never came back and played another down as a Skin, I don't think he would be considered the best QB in skins history as a couple people have decided ---- or even in the top 3.

The potential to be in the top 3 is unquestionably there, but I think people are being a bit too presumptuous.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:50 am

welch wrote: How many current QB's are two-for-three left-handed?

All the left handed ones.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:54 am

Shouldn't Brad Johnson be on this list somewhere?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:05 pm

Deadskins wrote:Shouldn't Brad Johnson be on this list somewhere?

He's on mine.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:07 pm

markshark84 wrote:How are people putting RGIII in the top 3 right now??

If RGIII never came back and played another down as a Skin, I don't think he would be considered the best QB in skins history as a couple people have decided ---- or even in the top 3.

The potential to be in the top 3 is unquestionably there, but I think people are being a bit too presumptuous.

I think it all comes down to how people view the question. If it's a rank of the best season's in history by a QB, I think RGIII is Top 3. If it's a rank of the best QBs in terms of their talent, I think he's Top 3. But, for those who are ranking them based on cumulative body of work as a Redskin, then he can't make the Top 3. It's all how you view the question.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:07 pm

Deadskins wrote:
welch wrote: How many current QB's are two-for-three left-handed?

All the left handed ones.

Boing!! :lol: :lol:

(I hadn't thought of that...but then how many lefty passers completed 66.66 % of their passes?)

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:11 am

markshark84 wrote:How are people putting RGIII in the top 3 right now??

+1

Hog

Postby SKINS#1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:20 pm

IMO, picking the top 3 is easy.

Sammy - no one else even close

Sonny - scored 30+ pts and still lost. To bad he didn't play defense as well.

RGIII - loads of talent, rating based performance for 1 yr and will probably change over time.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:26 pm

SKINS#1 wrote:IMO, picking the top 3 is easy.

Sammy - no one else even close

Sonny - scored 30+ pts and still lost. To bad he didn't play defense as well.

RGIII - loads of talent, rating based performance for 1 yr and will probably change over time.

My eye-ball view tells me that Robert Griffin is the best pure passer after Baugh (who was before my time) and Sonny. For Griffin to do that as a rookie is staggering...we should compare him to Jay Shroeder, Mark Rypien, Stan Humphries, and Jason Campbell, because they started as rookies and had respectable players around them. Griffin looks better, looks like a first-class QB. The others needed to learn.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:11 am

welch wrote:
SKINS#1 wrote:.we should compare him to Jay Shroeder, Mark Rypien, Stan Humphries, and Jason Campbell, because they started as rookies.

Actually boner of those three started a rookies.

Rypien was drafted in 86 but didn't start a game until 88.
Humphries was drafted in 88 but didn't start a game until 89.
JC was drafted in 05 and didn't start a have until 06.

But hey don't let ever facts bother your story.

Robert is so much more physically gifted than either of those three QBs and there is only one comparison. Both hee and Ryp through beautiful deep balls. I think Mark was a little better at it, but that is hard to tell. Mark was throwing behind the hogs to the posse. Our OL and WRs pale in comparison to what Mark had to work with.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Postby Superskins » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:44 pm

1. Sammy Baugh (won 2 NFL Championships and appeared in two more) Inducted into the first Hall of Fame class and voted the greatest player during the first 50 years of the NFL.

2. Sonny Jurgensen. His teams never won, but not due to his efforts. He was the greatest quarterback of his era.

3. Joe Theismann. One of the best quarterbacks of his era, and won a Super Bowl.

4. RGIII. The level of his play is off the charts, even though it's only been one year.

5. Mark Rypien. Super Bowl MVP and quarterbacked the greatest team in Redskins history.

6. Doug Williams. Super Bowl MVP.

7. Eddie Lebarron. Good quarterback on a poor team in the 50's.

8. Billy Kilmer. Wasn't a great quarterback, but had heart.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football