Weak 2013 Draft Class?

Put all your thoughts and musings on the 2013 NFL Draft right here! Mocks... profiles... trades... you name it.
Hog

Weak 2013 Draft Class?

Postby emoses14 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:25 am

http://collegefootball.scout.com/2/1258110.html

The article isn't gospel by any stretch, but certainly seems to suggest that this year's draft is not nearly as stacked as last year's draft was. Or to put it another way, it could be argued that our not having a first round pick in this draft is less of a negative that it might have been considered to be by the talking heads when we forfeited this year (and next years in addition to last year's 2nd round pick) to get Griffin. Almost as if someone actually looked at what was available last year and potentially available this year and made a decision that in no way mortgaged our team's future.

A whopping 69 players are taking off early, but it’s not like the influx of young talent is helping out a relatively mediocre draft.

Texas A&M defensive end Damontre Moore, Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones, Texas A&M's Luke Joeckel, LSU defensive end Barkevious Mingo and Florida State defensive end Bjoern Werner are all destined to go in the top 10, and Alabama CB Dee Milliner and Auburn DE Corey Lemonier will boost up the top 15, but it’s not like 2010 when Cam Newton, Von Miller, Marcell Dareus, A.J. Green, Patrick Peterson, Julio Jones and Aldon Smith made up a whopper of a top seven.

Last year was even stronger up top with Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Trent Richardson, Matt Kalil, Justin Blackmon, Morris Claiborne, Ryan Tannehill, Luke Kuechly and Stephon Gilmore all going in the top 10. This year, the top early entries are building blocks and potentially good starters, but there aren’t any sure-thing superstars.

Having said that, I think we'd be in a wonderful position to pick a really good to great safety if we did have that 22nd pick, so there's that.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:43 pm

Could work out great for us though. I don't keep up much with other team's needs but if everyone is looking at QBs and RBs that aren't as solid as last year's picks, that just gives us more probability of (like you said) drafting some quality secondary picks.

Like I said, knowing our luck, we'll have every other team in the league with SS, FS, and CB needs.

Waiting for this draft is driving me nuts!!

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:33 pm

After last years draft any draft class would look weak in comparison. Considering the success all three rookie QBs had. Making our trade for RG3 look even better.

There is plenty of talented defensive backs available though. A lot of talent on the defensive side all around. So I think even if we traded down we could still pick up plenty of help on the defensive side. Particularly corner backs and safeties.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:34 pm

Lotuleilei looks pretty baller to me. Jones too. But yea top end talent is lacking in this draft. And the lack of skill positions makes it look worse than it is.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

#######

Postby The Hogster » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:20 pm

It's weak on QBs, but I think some positions are loaded. Safety, Corner, LB to name a few.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:29 pm

The Hogster wrote:It's weak on QBs, but I think some positions are loaded. Safety, Corner, LB to name a few.

There's a lot of depth at safety, don't know about top end talent though. LB/DE is stacked.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Return to NFL Draft 2013