Trade Cousins

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:10 pm

Cousins will lead the Redskins to NFC championship next season. In the AFC, Baltimore and Cleveland battle for the number one pick in the draft.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:50 pm

welch wrote:Cousins will lead the Redskins to NFC championship next season. In the AFC, Baltimore and Cleveland battle for the number one pick in the draft.

If there were any justice in the world . . . :lol:
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:16 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
welch wrote:Cousins will lead the Redskins to NFC championship next season. In the AFC, Baltimore and Cleveland battle for the number one pick in the draft.

If there were any justice in the world . . . :lol:

Ah, but there is justice! I'll add that the poor Jets will be down with Baltimore and Cleveland. Maybe Dallas will join them?

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:40 pm

I'm watching Matt Ryan drop back and occasionally run the bootleg play against Seattle and thinking Kirk coulda done that.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:19 pm

DarthMonk wrote:I'm watching Matt Ryan drop back and occasionally run the bootleg play against Seattle and thinking Kirk coulda done that.

Absolutely. I think he would have thrown an INT at some point vs Seattle's secondary, but I believe we'd have won with Kirk playing at the half.
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:53 pm

I'm very biased in this post...fair warning.

If I were Shanahan I wouldn't trade Counsins until we had an even better back up QB.

I hate the hype about this dude so its strange to write this, but look at Russel Wilson. He is a solid QB. He's better than Counsins in my opinion.

Now if we had RG3 and Wilson as our backup, I'd be a little angry in us holding this kid back. I don't believe he's quite as good as RG3, but he's close.

However, RG3 is a few steps above Cousins. Nothing against Cousins, he's a very capable QB and I'd be comfortable if he had to sub for RG3 for an extended period. Not ideal, but I still would feel more at ease.

Just don't see what's wrong with us keeping someone great as a backup. I think the issue would be if the backup was better or at least exactly as good at the starting QB.

Why the thinking that your depth should be sucky players? They're making more money than you or I ever will...so they're getting their apology for not being starters just yet.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:27 am

No doubt in my mind that we could be going to San Fran this Sunday if Shanny would have put the Kirkster in at the half against Seattle.

swine

Re: Trade Cousins

Postby masterkwon » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:38 pm

SKINS#1 wrote:What would it take for you to trade Cousins? I would not consider a trade for anything less than a 1st rd and 2nd rd draft choice and would try to get (2) 1st rd choices if there were a couple teams interested.

Bob the Third had a reconstructed knee in college. It was inevitable this would be an issue later in his career. It was and now it's going to be an even bigger issue in the future. One only needs to look at Michael Vick's career to see the other issue no one is talking about, but is also inevitable...broken ribs. Trade Cousins? Seriously?

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:28 pm

Cousins is the back-up QB - he's not going anywhere for now

we're lucky in a way that RG3 was able to get that right knee looked at and re-done as it were - it should now be a lot better than it would have been if not

actually in a way - having the operation most likely saved us from him having a lot of issues with the fact that ligament was not as strong as it will now be

Cousins is a good back up but RG3 will NOT be taking the punishment he did last season

we'll be fine with these 2 QBs for a while :lol:
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - we'll win some games but it will take years to be good again

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:42 pm

SKINS#1 wrote:What would it take for you to trade Cousins?

Responding to the original post I'd say I'd trade him for someone slightly older but equally good plus a draft pick - like Ryan Mallett and a 2nd. Of course, no one is going to give us anything near that.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:45 pm

masterkwon wrote:One only needs to look at Michael Vick's career to see the other issue no one is talking about, but is also inevitable...broken ribs.

Um, I think Vick has had 1 rib injury in his career When we sandwiched him at the goal line a couple of seasons ago), and I don't think any were actually broken. His curgrgrent problem was concussions, but he was able to return before he did, they just kept him out to see what Foles could do. On a side note:

Mmmm ribs. grgrgrgrgrl
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:35 am

Would love to hear you guys thoughts on this...

First off, I must apologize, I'm always the 1st one to flip out when people start screaming "TRADE COUSINS!!", but now I'm beginning to wonder...

His contract expires in 2015. Its amazing to have him and I still hold that he shouldn't be released until someone just as good as him is on the roaster. However, is it likely he'll resign with us?

Reason I ask is because I'm thinking about the Lorax situation; Kirk might want to become a starter regardless of what we offer him.

With that, it would seem better for us to get "something" from our 4th round 2012 pick as opposed to allowing his contract to run out. I'd say we need him this year for sure, but what about after the end of this season?

There's teams out there who are desperate for a starting QB and from what I've been reading, 2014's draft class is once again weak in the QB position.

Anyway, don't get wrong, I'd hate to see Cousins go; if it were up to me, I'd pay him good and keep him around as a seamless insurance policy for a long time.

Thoughts guys?

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:44 am

He won't re-sign here if RGIII is still our starter in 2015. But, I don't think now is the time to trade him. Next offseason, with one year on his expiring deal is the time to pull the trigger in my view.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:52 am

The Hogster wrote:He won't re-sign here if RGIII is still our starter in 2015. But, I don't think now is the time to trade him. Next offseason, with one year on his expiring deal is the time to pull the trigger in my view.

Man that sucks, but again, what can you do? The kid is solid. I'd really hate to see him go and fear we'll "need" him again further down the road. I suppose there's always a chance of us resigning him if we truly needed him.

Hog

Postby NYFINESTSKINSFAN » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:55 am

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:Would love to hear you guys thoughts on this...

First off, I must apologize, I'm always the 1st one to flip out when people start screaming "TRADE COUSINS!!", but now I'm beginning to wonder...

His contract expires in 2015. Its amazing to have him and I still hold that he shouldn't be released until someone just as good as him is on the roaster. However, is it likely he'll resign with us?

Reason I ask is because I'm thinking about the Lorax situation; Kirk might want to become a starter regardless of what we offer him.

With that, it would seem better for us to get "something" from our 4th round 2012 pick as opposed to allowing his contract to run out. I'd say we need him this year for sure, but what about after the end of this season?

There's teams out there who are desperate for a starting QB and from what I've been reading, 2014's draft class is once again weak in the QB position.

Anyway, don't get wrong, I'd hate to see Cousins go; if it were up to me, I'd pay him good and keep him around as a seamless insurance policy for a long time.

Thoughts guys?

The way I see it is rightfully Cousins will want to be a starter if he had such opportunity, who wouldn't. It would be nuts for any of us to think that Cousins will want to remain as a backup if he were to have the opportunity to start. So the obvious answer would be, trade him and get the most value out of him as we can when that time come before his contract expires. Just saying!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football