Hognostication Playoffs 2013 - Championship Round

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:03 am

Deadskins wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:Saturday, Jan. 12
4:30 Baltimore @ Denver
8:00 Green Bay @ Green Bay

Sunday, Jan. 13
1:00 Seattle @ Atlanta
4:30 Houston @ New England

196.5 POINTS

I want to make one more rules clarification based of Darth's picks in the last round. Seeing as there is no way for a team to score half a point, 196.5 is not a valid total points hognostication for the weekend. I would have rounded this total up to 197, BTW.

8)

Sure wish I had stuck with 49R. :-({|=

If someone predicts 1 point in the final game what will you do? How about if they predict a total of 7 for 4 games or 3 for 2 games? Curious.

That would be fine. Stupid, but fine.

But it is not possible to win 1-0. Thus, 1 is not a valid total points hognostication for a single game - is it?

So if a guy made his SB pick and forgot to pick points, the other guy could duplicate the pick and say 1 point except that 1 is not a possible point total. Would you "round up" to 2?

:?:
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:04 pm

:shock: it probably should be a bit of a surprise ...

it's actually a bit of a shame ... :roll:
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:12 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:Saturday, Jan. 12
4:30 Baltimore @ Denver
8:00 Green Bay @ Green Bay

Sunday, Jan. 13
1:00 Seattle @ Atlanta
4:30 Houston @ New England

196.5 POINTS

I want to make one more rules clarification based of Darth's picks in the last round. Seeing as there is no way for a team to score half a point, 196.5 is not a valid total points hognostication for the weekend. I would have rounded this total up to 197, BTW.

8)

Sure wish I had stuck with 49R. :-({|=

If someone predicts 1 point in the final game what will you do? How about if they predict a total of 7 for 4 games or 3 for 2 games? Curious.

That would be fine. Stupid, but fine.

But it is not possible to win 1-0. Thus, 1 is not a valid total points hognostication for a single game - is it?

So if a guy made his SB pick and forgot to pick points, the other guy could duplicate the pick and say 1 point except that 1 is not a possible point total. Would you "round up" to 2?

:?:

No, a guy couldn't make his SB pick without a point total, because SB picks are made by PM (if I'm one of the players, then an admin will take the picks), and are not published until both picks are complete. Quit trying to be a Richard (as ACW put it) about it, those are just the rules. No one is going to pick less than two points per game anyway, so it's a moot point.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby ACW » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:18 pm

Deadskins wrote:(if I'm one of the players, then an admin will take the picks)
Won't happen \:D/
And that's why I picked 8 for my total last weekend.
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:46 pm

ACW wrote:

This is exactly what I was getting at. Would ACW picking 7 points last week have been a valid point total? Seriously. One of the reasons I'm asking is because I want to ultimately provide a reason for the 1/2 point ... not that it really matters.

Thanks ... and I know it looks like it but I'm really not trying to be a Cheney. You just caught me off guard with the rule clarification and I'm really trying to nail it down for the future. I'm thinking 7 would have been a no-go last week for the same reason you decided 196.5 was.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:47 pm

Deadskins wrote:Because you round up from .5

No, I do not.

ANYBODY knows that there is the same distance upwards or downwards.

In fact, in computer science, you have both options: chopping decimals and rounding up based on a RULE.

Still, no problem for me with the half point and I suggest to accept it and really mind the other rules which are REALLY important.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:55 pm

For an informal game among friends, there seems to be an awful lot of petty nit picking around the rules. Can y'all just play the game? I'm sitting here half expecting someone to declare that he's hired an attorney to protect his investment.

It's not as if Deadskins is running a business here. Jeeze.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:55 am

:lol: some guys just don't really get it ...

like the old saying goes ... "when you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before"

:twisted:

btw - congrats to those still in this and good luck this Sunday

and a big thanks to Deadskins for keeping the playoffs 'going'
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:02 am

DarthMonk wrote:
ACW wrote:

This is exactly what I was getting at. Would ACW picking 7 points last week have been a valid point total? Seriously. One of the reasons I'm asking is because I want to ultimately provide a reason for the 1/2 point ... not that it really matters.

Thanks ... and I know it looks like it but I'm really not trying to be a Cheney. You just caught me off guard with the rule clarification and I'm really trying to nail it down for the future. I'm thinking 7 would have been a no-go last week for the same reason you decided 196.5 was.

Upon further reflection, I will probably allow fractional points in the future, because it will have the benefit of further reducing the chance of a tie. But, since the ruling has already been made, the rule stands for the rest of these playoffs.

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:07 am

Redskin in Canada wrote:
Deadskins wrote:Because you round up from .5

No, I do not.

ANYBODY knows that there is the same distance upwards or downwards.

In fact, in computer science, you have both options: chopping decimals and rounding up based on a RULE.

It really depends upon the application. I was a math/computer science major in college, so you don't need to try and educate me on the finer points of rounding Vs. truncating. As a general rule, you round up from .5 :roll:

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:33 pm

Countertrey wrote:For an informal game among friends, there seems to be an awful lot of petty nit picking around the rules. Can y'all just play the game? I'm sitting here half expecting someone to declare that he's hired an attorney to protect his investment.

It's not as if Deadskins is running a business here. Jeeze.

Sorry, bro. If I could ask this all with audio you'd hear my tone and probably not call it nit picking. Anyway, I gotta tell ya, inspite of my loss, I've enjoyed this.

Deadskins' format for this is diff from any other I've seen. When I tell others about it they usually have some sort of "objection" but none of them ever has a better idea. Also, this game is on the site, not being run by CBS or Yahoo! or ESPN. It FEELS better.

Thanks, Deadman. :up:

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:30 pm

Countertrey wrote:It's not as if Deadskins is running a business here. Jeeze.

What? Does that mean I'm not going to collect a pension when I retire? Don't tell my wife, she was counting on it.

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:24 pm

Deadskins wrote:

What? Does that mean I'm not going to collect a pension when I retire? Don't tell my wife, she was counting on it.

I knew right away she was not like other girls.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:13 pm

Deadskins wrote:Upon further reflection, I will probably allow fractional points in the future, because it will have the benefit of further reducing the chance of a tie. But, since the ruling has already been made, the rule stands for the rest of these playoffs.

See? All it took ws a bit of reflection and clarification.

Good luck to all.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:45 am

DarthMonk wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

I knew right away she was not like other girls.

Other girls.

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Around the League