Is Tyler Polumbus the answer?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
swine

Is Tyler Polumbus the answer?

Postby fanforlife » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:22 am

Polumbus played well this season, but he did have his up's & down's. His pass blocking was suspect at times & he was beat off the line too many times as far as I'm concerned. He has shown that he deserves to be in the NFL considering his draft status But IMO RT is still an area of concern. Even if we keep Polumbus as the starter, we have nobody behind him. Forget about Brown, he's been done since he got here. Hurt I don't like. He's too raw & not a natural T. We pretty much have no depth at RT other than Compton & that is something that bothers me, especially now with RG3's knee being the way it is. I don't know if FA or the draft is the way to go, but if we don't do something about it this off-season, I fear we'll have another QB rehabbing a knee.
as always...HTTR!!!

swine

Postby fanforlife » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:30 am

Lichtenstieger is another area of concern for me. Like Polumbus, he played well, better than I anticipated. But he led all linemen in penalties with 10 (6 FS, 3 holding calls & 1 other) + he was injured towards the end of the season. I'm glad for the continuity on the line this season, it has a lot to do with our top ranked rushing attack, but we need to get LeRiebus in the game. Licht. would be a great back-up & in doing so would prolong his career. JMO.
as always...HTTR!!!

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:42 pm

fanforlife wrote:Lichtenstieger is another area of concern for me. Like Polumbus, he played well, better than I anticipated. But he led all linemen in penalties with 10 (6 FS, 3 holding calls & 1 other) + he was injured towards the end of the season. I'm glad for the continuity on the line this season, it has a lot to do with our top ranked rushing attack, but we need to get LeRiebus in the game. Licht. would be a great back-up & in doing so would prolong his career. JMO.

+1

Hog

Re: Is Tyler Polumbus the answer?

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:46 pm

fanforlife wrote:Polumbus played well this season, but he did have his up's & down's. His pass blocking was suspect at times & he was beat off the line too many times as far as I'm concerned. He has shown that he deserves to be in the NFL considering his draft status But IMO RT is still an area of concern. Even if we keep Polumbus as the starter, we have nobody behind him. Forget about Brown, he's been done since he got here. Hurt I don't like. He's too raw & not a natural T. We pretty much have no depth at RT other than Compton & that is something that bothers me, especially now with RG3's knee being the way it is. I don't know if FA or the draft is the way to go, but if we don't do something about it this off-season, I fear we'll have another QB rehabbing a knee.

The fact of the matter is Polumbus is a stop gap, he isn't coordinated enough and isn't fast enough to handle speed rushers. I would think at 6'8 with the long arms he would be able to pas protect better but for real he is not coordinated for what this position entails. I think he would be a pretty good back up but we really need to upgrade RT ASAP.....IMHO...

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:13 pm

I always want to draft OL and DL, having watched Joe Gibbs drive the team, but this year I would draft / sign:

- safety who can cover
- another safety
- CB
- LB (London Fletcher can't do this forever)
- OL

Given the Redskins' drafting position, I hope that Allen and Shanahan spot some over-looked guys in later rounds.

OL overall? My sense is that the OL has gotten better as they played alongside each other, and will continue to improve.

Hog

Postby TimSkin » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:20 pm

fanforlife wrote:Lichtenstieger is another area of concern for me. Like Polumbus, he played well, better than I anticipated. But he led all linemen in penalties with 10 (6 FS, 3 holding calls & 1 other) + he was injured towards the end of the season. I'm glad for the continuity on the line this season, it has a lot to do with our top ranked rushing attack, but we need to get LeRiebus in the game. Licht. would be a great back-up & in doing so would prolong his career. JMO.

Lich's a free agent so you just might get your wish with LeRibeye
HTTR!!!!!!!!!!!!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:40 pm

Tyler Polumbus is exactly what you want out of a backup Right Tackle. He's good enough to start, but you want a better guy ahead of him. IMO, he proved that he belongs on this team but not as a starter, as a high quality backup.

But, Tom Compton is a very good athlete who I hope can develop for another year and possibly make Polumbus expendable in the future.

My draft priorities are:

1. CORNER
2. TACKLE
3. STRONG SAFETY
4. FREE SAFETY
5. PASS RUSHER AT DL
4. LBS

Looking at the free agent market. We have a better chance of finding a safety in free agency along with a guy who can push the pocket. Most of the talent at Tackle is at Left Tackle in free agency. So that 2nd or 3rd round pick will likely be used on a guy who can anchor the right side for years.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:51 pm

I think he plays RT better than our safeties play their positions, and better than Fletcher's replacement would if he was on the roster right now.

There are bigger priorities in the draft, imho, not that we shouldn't look at RTs in later rounds.
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:57 pm

I have maintained that we need upgrades at OT and OG. However, we'll need to pick and choose where to upgrade based on our limited high impact draft picks. We could find some OL via FA, but I'm not sure who is available and who fits our scheme.

In terms of need; however, I feel that our priorities are:
1. DB
2. DB
3. CB
4. OT/OG
5. Pass Rusher DE
6. LB*
7. WR

* This is if either we lose Rob Jackson or Fletcher retires. If both come back, then we should be okay with Orakpo, Fletcher, Riley, Jackson, and Kerrigan.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football