Returning Injured Players

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Returning Injured Players

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:22 am

Do we know or at least have a pretty good idea of who will be returning from injury in time for, say, preseason?

I know there's a handful, but hoping for the more likely returns. More than reasonable estimates.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:57 am

AFAIK, everyone but RGIII.

- Rak should be fine, maybe limited to keep bringing him along slowly.
- carriker will be back.
- Merriweather, can't see why he wouldn't be back.
- Chase Minnifield has had more than enough time to get back, he'll be ready before preseason.

I what would make this thread interesting is if we focused soley on who we're getting back from injury and plugging them back into the lineup. Considering their contract/cap #, how likey are they to stay and how does that shape our needs heading into the off-season. This team, when healthy isn't too far from going deeper into the playoffs. Part of me thinks that we just need to focus on getting YOUNG, TALENTED kids in the draft to groom for the future. For when the cap starts being an issue and we're not caught without our pants down. Guys who if they need to start by week 7 due to injury will bring a youthful spark to the team. We saw that happen last year, we need more of it.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby aswas71788 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:13 pm

I think that if the injured players return, stay health and are capable of playing at their normal level, the Redskins can go deeper into the play-offs and maybe, with some luck, get to the Super Bowl. Agreed that we need to draft young players for depth and development.

I would like to see something done about the safety and defensive back positions. Williams was good at run stopping. He gave it his best but many times he just did not react fast enough in passing situations and the Redskins got burned because of that. It was the most glaring weakness.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:04 pm

Don't forget Fred Davis and Tanard Jackson, returning from suspension.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:48 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
I what would make this thread interesting is if we focused soley on who we're getting back from injury and plugging them back into the lineup. Considering their contract/cap #, how likey are they to stay and how does that shape our needs heading into the off-season. This team, when healthy isn't too far from going deeper into the playoffs.

My projection/hope given the health of players along with their contract situation would be as follows. I'm also including my strategy including free agent/draft moves.

Green = Free Agent Addition
Blue = Drafted Player
Orange = Returning from Injury/Suspension

OFFENSE

WR Dwayne Bowe / Joshua Morgan / Santana Moss
LT Trent Williams / Maurice Hurt / Tom Compton
LG Kory Lichtensteiger / Josh LeRibeus
C Will Montgomery / Brian Swenkey C CAL
RG Chris Chester / Adam Gettis
RT Brennan Williams OT UNC / Tyler Polumbus
TE Fred Davis / Logan Paulsen / Niles Paul
WR Pierre Garçon / Leonard Hankerson / Aldrick Robinson
QB Robert Griffin III / Kirk Cousins / Rex Grossman
FB Darrel Young
RB Alfred Morris / Evan Royster / Kenjon Barner RB OREGON

When I look at our offense, I see a few areas where we could improve. Looking at the free agent class, I expect the Skins to use a high pick on a Right Tackle, as there aren't many entering free agency. I like Brennan Williams the athletic OT from UNC. While I like Josh Morgan, I think Garcon showed what a playmaking WR can do for an offense. I think pairing Dwayne Bowe with Garcon would give defenses fits. Not only would RGIII and Morris keep the ground game dominant, but with two playmaking receivers, the offense would be even tougher to stop. Add in a healthy Fred Davis, and the Redskins offense would be Superbowl caliber.

I think Leribus is a natural LG who could eventually overtake Kory. But, not right now. I expect the team to look at a Center. Brian Swenkey from CAL is impressing people at the Senior Bowl. Mayock thinks he's the 2nd best Center in the draft. He could take over for Montgomery in a year or so. Giving the Skins high quality depth on the O Line at both the Center and Guard positions.

One thing this offense lacks is a true speed back for a change of pace. I have been a fan of the talent that is being groomed at Oregon. I think Kenjon Barner would be a great fit as a change of pace. His 4.4 speed out of the pistol would pose problems. I could also see Royster being replaced with a RB who can pass protect, but the team seems to like him as a 3rd down guy for his pass pro.

DEFENSE

DE Adam Carriker / Jarvis Jenkins
NT Barry Cofield / Chris Baker/Chris Nield**
DE Stephen Bowen / Glenn Dorsey DE KC Chiefs
OLB Ryan Kerrigan / Osi Umenyiora or Trevardo Williams OLB UCONN
ILB London Fletcher / Lorenzo Alexander
ILB Perry Riley / Kennan Robinson
OLB Brian Orakpo / Rob Jackson
CB DeAngelo Hall** / Jordan Poyer CB Oregon State
SS Brandon Merriweather Shamarko Thomas SS SU**
FS Jairus Byrd Tanard Jackson
CB Josh Wilson / Tyran Mathieu / Chase Minnifield

**DeAngelo Hall has a big cap number but has expressed desire to restructure his deal and return. I think he will do just that.

**I expect the Redskins to draft a SS to replace Reed Doughty. A player with starting potential. Safety is a deep position in this year's draft. I like Shamarko Thomas from Syracuse. Doughty played well against SEA, but he's going to be 31 this year. And, it's time to get younger and more athletic at SS. Doughty is the kind of player who could pass through waivers and that you'd trust to stay in shape if you need to bring him back.

**It's hard to guess who will win the competition between Chris Baker and Chris Nield. Nield was a standout rookie, but got injured. Prior to that he was ahead of Baker. But, Baker played well. I think this is a position battle to watch.

With the 2nd Round pick, I like CB Jordan Poyer from OSU. I like Tyran Mathieu CB LSU to join the Redskins with a 4th or 5th round pick. Not only is he the ideal nickle corner, but he is a very good returner. With Brandon Banks likely gone, I think Mathieu offers an upgrade over Richard Crawford. I like Crawford, but I think Mathieu is a better CB and Returner.

Kedric Golston is getting long in the tooth, and a guy like Glenn Dorsey has the talent to upgrade the DE Rotation. Former Top 10 pick who could rejuvenate his career as a backup in DC.

My surprise Free Agent acquisition is Osi Umenyora. The Redskins need a situational pass rusher. Last season the team put in a waiver claim for Jason Babin to serve this role, but missed. I expect the team to add a guy who can still get to the passer, but would thrive best in a situational rushing role. To fill that role you either go for a veteran rusher like Babin or Umenyora--who would be most explosive coming in for certain situations, or a young speed guy. With Kerrigan and Orakpo on this roster, we won't attract one of the young free agents to come here and not start.

SPECIAL TEAMS

K Kai Forbath
LS Nick Sundberg
P Sav Rocca

PR Tyran Mathieu
KR Niles Paul / Tyran Mathieu
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:51 pm

That's a nice list there, but where would we get the money for Dwayne Bowe and Jairius Byrd? Both are going to be the highlights of their positions in free agency, getting a lot of money...and we're 4 million over the cap as it is. With both Fred Davis and Lichtensteiger as free agents. Yes Moss and Hall can restructure their contracts, but Bowe and Byrd will get a LOT of cash in FA. Assuming their teams are dumb enough to let them get to FA, of course (Bowe was tagged last year, and wouldn't be surprised if he was tagged this year...as Byrd will probably be).

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:21 am

PulpExposure wrote:That's a nice list there, but where would we get the money for Dwayne Bowe and Jairius Byrd? Both are going to be the highlights of their positions in free agency, getting a lot of money...and we're 4 million over the cap as it is. With both Fred Davis and Lichtensteiger as free agents. Yes Moss and Hall can restructure their contracts, but Bowe and Byrd will get a LOT of cash in FA. Assuming their teams are dumb enough to let them get to FA, of course (Bowe was tagged last year, and wouldn't be surprised if he was tagged this year...as Byrd will probably be).

I'm basing this projection in part on my naive & optimistic hope that the Redskins reach a settlement with the league on the cap penalty. Signing Bowe would be a luxury as our offense would be good enough with the talent we have.

As far as Safety, I am speculating that the Skins would be hesitant to go into the year with Tanard Jackson as the only real FS on the roster coming off of a 1 year hiatus. If the penalty isn't lifted, then DET Safety Louis Delmas might be an option.

The good thing is that this year's Safety class looks deep so far. So even if the Skins reach no settlement and cannot land these guys, they still might find guys who can push for playing time. Reed Doughty is always an option as well.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:39 pm

I'm curious to see what they will do with Hightower and Helu. I thought Hightower looked good in preseason. Could be a nice "breather" for Morris a few times in a game or something.

Helu is a good pass catcher.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:44 pm

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:I'm curious to see what they will do with Hightower and Helu. I thought Hightower looked good in preseason. Could be a nice "breather" for Morris a few times in a game or something.

Helu is a good pass catcher.

Royster, despite my hopes that he'd have a Morris type of year, did well for himself. He was a good third down back, and is the better blocker out of him, helu, and Morris. He had a few catches, a little bit of carry yards, and a few tds. I think, tho, with D young being the bull nosed brute for short yardage and a great blocker, we need a speedy back. I don't know if helu is the answer there, and Tim having lost a step? We may draft another, or run with what we had.
If we can deal out one or two for some depth or picks, that's what I'd prefer
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Postby yupchagee » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:13 pm

I don't want Mathieu. Not that good in coverage & too many off field problems.
I like Helu for change of pace & K. Williams for 3rd down. Good in pass pro & good hands.
Bowe is probably too expensive.
I like Phillip Thomas of Fesno St as a safety.
Grossman will be gone.
Crawford & C. Griffin suould be in the mix at CB.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog

Re: Returning Injured Players

Postby Kilmer72 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:43 pm

The one I really want to see healthy in our secondary is Chase Minnifield.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:07 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:The one I really want to see healthy in our secondary is Chase Minnifield.
Agree... I think he may be another one of those gems... and, now that he's turned invisible, he's going to be a surprise, as well...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:48 am

Countertrey wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:The one I really want to see healthy in our secondary is Chase Minnifield.
Agree... I think he may be another one of those gems... and, now that he's turned invisible, he's going to be a surprise, as well

:lol:
We are lucky to have Cousins - Griffin will become the better QB as he learns to use the pocket & read defenses

Until then, I hope that Cousins takes full advantage of this opportunity

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:27 pm

yupchagee wrote:I don't want Mathieu. Not that good in coverage & too many off field problems.
I like Helu for change of pace & K. Williams for 3rd down. Good in pass pro & good hands.
Bowe is probably too expensive.
I like Phillip Thomas of Fesno St as a safety.
Grossman will be gone.
Crawford & C. Griffin suould be in the mix at CB.

Grossman being gone will depend on how ready RGIII is by the beginning of the season. And, whether he gets any offers from any teams.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football