Official Super Bowl GameDay Thread

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
the 'mudge
Posts: 14843
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:39 pm

^ True
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

tribe
Posts: 6271
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:02 pm
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:00 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:
tribeofjudah wrote:Braggin rights for the DMV go to ......the Ravens.
Skins need to keep turning it up.


Ugh.. no they don't have braggin rights for the dmv.. you can see the smack thread for further clarification about the dmv


you're probably right....I'm west coast and the DMV means: Department of Motor Vehicles
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16277
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:28 pm

It was totally funny to hear Jim Harbaugh crying about the no-call on fourth down, when that's the same no-call that got them into the SB in the first place.
ROTFALMAO
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 2142
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby emoses14 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:59 am

Deadskins wrote:It was totally funny to hear Jim Harbaugh crying about the no-call on fourth down, when that's the same no-call that got them into the SB in the first place.
ROTFALMAO


Funny though it may be, it doesn't make him wrong. Illegal is illegal, regardless of past wrongs being let go (something about 2 wrongs not making a right or, you know, Ravens win! Ravens win! so I guess, nevermind?).
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

the 'mudge
Posts: 14843
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:55 pm

emoses14 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:It was totally funny to hear Jim Harbaugh crying about the no-call on fourth down, when that's the same no-call that got them into the SB in the first place.
ROTFALMAO


Funny though it may be, it doesn't make him wrong. Illegal is illegal, regardless of past wrongs being let go (something about 2 wrongs not making a right or, you know, Ravens win! Ravens win! so I guess, nevermind?).


Which came first? The push off... or the hold...


Meh.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

DarthMonk
Posts: 4652
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:11 pm

There were a lot of non-calls in the game.

As for execution - Kap missed a wide open dude early leading to a FG. On the other two "biggest plays" the Ravens zero blitzed (on the 2-point try and on the final offensive play by the Niners) and the Niners could not make either play.

If Crab had simply bolted for the corner it was probalby a TD. It was a hot read and the defender was playing inside. Why engage? Where was the pistol when they had 4 tries from the 7?

The game was pretty much a coin flip.

Had the Niners scored at the end they would have gone for 2 to establish a 3 point lead - something they would not have needed to try had they simply kicked for 1 point at the 9:57 mark. I know they were trying to tie it up but 10 minutes is a lot of football. They also threw away 2 time outs.

No one to blame but themselves ultimately.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13934
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: New England

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:47 pm

that makes 2 in a row where the team that won the Super Bowl was not one of the best teams in the NFL

as someone said "spit happens" - no big deal

cannot wait to begin the chase ... :D
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 2142
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby emoses14 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:39 pm

Countertrey wrote:
emoses14 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:It was totally funny to hear Jim Harbaugh crying about the no-call on fourth down, when that's the same no-call that got them into the SB in the first place.
ROTFALMAO


Funny though it may be, it doesn't make him wrong. Illegal is illegal, regardless of past wrongs being let go (something about 2 wrongs not making a right or, you know, Ravens win! Ravens win! so I guess, nevermind?).


Which came first? The push off... or the hold...


Meh.


The hold. For me, the flag for that stops the play, so the push off doesn't actually happen. Sort of like an offensive hold stops the play and the 12 yard run that it led to, is negated.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 2142
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby emoses14 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:44 pm

DarthMonk wrote:There were a lot of non-calls in the game.

As for execution - Kap missed a wide open dude early leading to a FG. On the other two "biggest plays" the Ravens zero blitzed (on the 2-point try and on the final offensive play by the Niners) and the Niners could not make either play.

If Crab had simply bolted for the corner it was probalby a TD. It was a hot read and the defender was playing inside. Why engage? Where was the pistol when they had 4 tries from the 7?

The game was pretty much a coin flip.

Had the Niners scored at the end they would have gone for 2 to establish a 3 point lead - something they would not have needed to try had they simply kicked for 1 point at the 9:57 mark. I know they were trying to tie it up but 10 minutes is a lot of football. They also threw away 2 time outs.

No one to blame but themselves ultimately.


All of this is absolutely true. And, imho, absolutely irrelevant with respect to the hold that was not called on 4th and goal at the end of the game. Rules are rules and swallowing the whistle there was (football wise) unconscionable.

But it wasn't my team that got hosed, so I suppose its not worth really bothering with.

Not to mention, it still means the Redskins come back in '88 is still the largest deficit overcome to win a SB.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

CKRGiii
Posts: 4917
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:38 pm

I think of it like a fight.. don't leave it up to the judges. The whinners did. Played pike crap until the blackout, and didn't deserve a close call. Was it within the five yards? Was it accidental, was the ball in the air, was it two sided? How catchable was the ball?
I wouldnt have called it. That important of a play, that big, a little bumpin is allowed. Let em play. Kap shoulda put a better throw on him or maybe a better call.. or maybe not turn the ball over earlier. Champs don't leave it in the hands of the refs. Good non call.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

DarthMonk
Posts: 4652
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:17 am

emoses14 wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:There were a lot of non-calls in the game.

As for execution - Kap missed a wide open dude early leading to a FG. On the other two "biggest plays" the Ravens zero blitzed (on the 2-point try and on the final offensive play by the Niners) and the Niners could not make either play.

If Crab had simply bolted for the corner it was probalby a TD. It was a hot read and the defender was playing inside. Why engage? Where was the pistol when they had 4 tries from the 7?

The game was pretty much a coin flip.

Had the Niners scored at the end they would have gone for 2 to establish a 3 point lead - something they would not have needed to try had they simply kicked for 1 point at the 9:57 mark. I know they were trying to tie it up but 10 minutes is a lot of football. They also threw away 2 time outs.

No one to blame but themselves ultimately.


All of this is absolutely true. And, imho, absolutely irrelevant with respect to the hold that was not called on 4th and goal at the end of the game. Rules are rules and swallowing the whistle there was (football wise) unconscionable.

But it wasn't my team that got hosed, so I suppose its not worth really bothering with.

Not to mention, it still means the Redskins come back in '88 is still the largest deficit overcome to win a SB.


I agree and disagree. It is relevant in this regard - one call didn't decide the game. If every other call were perfect then maybe.

I wanted the Ravens to lose but at least the Niners lost.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 2142
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby emoses14 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:18 am

DarthMonk wrote:
emoses14 wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:There were a lot of non-calls in the game.

As for execution - Kap missed a wide open dude early leading to a FG. On the other two "biggest plays" the Ravens zero blitzed (on the 2-point try and on the final offensive play by the Niners) and the Niners could not make either play.

If Crab had simply bolted for the corner it was probalby a TD. It was a hot read and the defender was playing inside. Why engage? Where was the pistol when they had 4 tries from the 7?

The game was pretty much a coin flip.

Had the Niners scored at the end they would have gone for 2 to establish a 3 point lead - something they would not have needed to try had they simply kicked for 1 point at the 9:57 mark. I know they were trying to tie it up but 10 minutes is a lot of football. They also threw away 2 time outs.

No one to blame but themselves ultimately.


All of this is absolutely true. And, imho, absolutely irrelevant with respect to the hold that was not called on 4th and goal at the end of the game. Rules are rules and swallowing the whistle there was (football wise) unconscionable.

But it wasn't my team that got hosed, so I suppose its not worth really bothering with.

Not to mention, it still means the Redskins come back in '88 is still the largest deficit overcome to win a SB.


I agree and disagree. It is relevant in this regard - one call didn't decide the game. If every other call were perfect then maybe.

I wanted the Ravens to lose but at least the Niners lost.



Fair enough
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 2142
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby emoses14 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:43 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:I think of it like a fight.. don't leave it up to the judges. The whinners did. Played pike crap until the blackout, and didn't deserve a close call. Was it within the five yards? Was it accidental, was the ball in the air, was it two sided? How catchable was the ball?
I wouldnt have called it. That important of a play, that big, a little bumpin is allowed. Let em play. Kap shoulda put a better throw on him or maybe a better call.. or maybe not turn the ball over earlier. Champs don't leave it in the hands of the refs. Good non call.


Last long post on this. I swear.

This line of logic always makes me smile. The whinners left it up to the judges? Really? You mean the whinners ran a play that was "stopped" in such a manner that was AGAINST THE RULES and their bringing it up is whinning? OK! Everything that happened before or after that play is, again, irrelevant to the point.

The argument would be precisely the reverse if the call was made, if the 49rs had scored, subsequently. EXCEPT the nevermore fans would be complaining about having to defend x more plays and getting scored on in one of them. That would be the players deciding it. And that is the point. In my view the blatant hold and no-call did leave it up to the judges, and not the players. That big of a moment shouldn't be decided by cheating, it should be decided by the players. The proper call creates a first down, if the Ravens are such hot crap, then stop 'em. They didn't. They held the pivotal player on the play at the point of attack. It doesn't matter how he "should have" run the route, "Kap putting a better ball" or anything else not related to the defenders 2 arms being draped around Crababpple's arms and holding his jersey. Everything else is beside the point. And that was not a "little bumpin." That's my problem with it. If it was a clean play, even with just a bump, then no problem, but it most definitely wasn't.


Basically this boils down to the ends justify the means. Since they didn't score, everything about the manner in which Baltimore defended it is OK, because, hell, they're the champs? Come on. 1. They weren't champs when it happened and 2. of course they left it in the hands of the ref by cheating and then hoping that the ref wouldn't make the proper call (coincidentally this is Baltimore's best defensive strategy, just ask Ed Reed)

Don't leave it up to the judges? Then what the hell are they on the field for? IF it the idea was to do whatever in the hell you want, rules be damned, we'd have the kind of anarchy or near anarchy we had with the replacement refs (e.g. the Skins-Rams game) which I'm pretty sure everyone around here hated.

Look, mistakes are made, and that is part of the game, the human element. However, there are times when it is especially important not to make them, particularly at critical moments. I think that play, at that point in the game, given the circumstances, is one of those times.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 2142
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby emoses14 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:12 am

Just one, other, man's opinion:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/whit ... ugh-020413

The NFL got exactly what it wanted from referee Jerome Boger and the crew that worked the Super Bowl.

Roger Goodell wanted an officiating crew that would get out of the way and let the players be the stars.

For the past 15 years and spurred by the popularity of HD TV, NFL refs have been horning in on the players’ spotlight. The refs like being stars. They like being recognized. Ed Hochuli’s guns have become as well-known as Deion’s high-step.

Goodell wants to end this. He doesn’t want officiating stars. That’s why the NFL worked its system to assign a mediocre, nondescript ref to the Super Bowl. According to Boger’s jealous peers, his season-long grades did not justify his Super Bowl selection. Speculation quickly asserted the NFL manipulated its grading system so that an African-American ref could lead the Super Bowl.

If that were the case, Mike Carey would’ve been the easy choice. He’s worked the Super Bowl before and he’s highly regarded.

Nope. Goodell was after something different. Goodell wanted a ref who would stay out of the way, a crew that wouldn’t take over the game. And that’s what the league got.


Boger and his crew swallowed their flags from start to finish. They entered the stadium determined not to be the story when the game was over. Guess what? They’re the story. Jim Harbaugh was irate there was no defensive holding or pass interference called on San Fran’s last offensive play.

Boger and Co. spent the entire evening trying to avoid throwing their flags. Baltimore cornerback Cary Williams shoved an official and should’ve been tossed from the game in the first half. There was no flag.

Two of the most physical and emotional teams in football collided on Sunday and there were just seven penalties all day. The refs called the obvious stuff — two for offside, one facemask, an illegal formation. There wasn’t one holding call all game and there was just one pass interference call.

The players were free to do whatever they wanted, and Baltimore certainly did at the end of the game.

We all hate it when the refs take over a game. But it’s just as bad when they let the players police themselves. The Super Bowl deserved better officiating. I blame Goodell.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog
Posts: 1088
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:27 pm
Location: Arlington, VA (Ballston)

Postby ACW » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:41 am

Whitlock's an asshat (not for this column).
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

Return to Around the League