Challenges Ahead (Draft and Free Agency)

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby ACW » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:45 am

Deadskins wrote:
Skinsfan55 wrote: Our 6th round back made the Pro-Bowl.

Um, no, he didn't. He should have, but nope.
DID make 2nd-team All-Pro though.
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:44 am

ACW wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

Yes, All-Pro, but not the Pro=Bowl.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby ACW » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:12 am

Deadskins wrote:
ACW wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

Yes, All-Pro, but not the Pro=Bowl.
True, but All-Pro's more legit IMO.
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:31 am

ACW wrote:True, but All-Pro's more legit IMO.

This is true.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:17 am

The Hogster wrote:
Skinsfan55 wrote:My apologies everyone. Chase Minifield will obviously win defensive MVP next season, we'll draft 3 more late round playmakers and the cap situation will magically fix itself because... it always seems to!

Everything is sunshine and rainbows here in Redskins land!

I swear to God, it's like you all have had lobotomies or something.

You're right. It's panic time. It's not like we won the NFC East or anything. I mean, I could see if we won the NFC East with a roster full of fill-ins and rookies. But, we just went 0-16 and have no draft picks and no money.

Don't worry Skinsfan55. Help is on the way.

Image[img]

Seriously, get yourself together.[/img]

Bad news, paramedics made a wrong turn. Looks like dude is gonna have to lick electrical outlets

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:24 am

I have found the answer to OP's concern in this humble video about the Redskins' offseason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbZEkFL ... ata_player

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:36 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:I didn't know that people wouldn't even be willing to accept the fact that this offseason is going to be an uphill climb.

WRONG - you are not giving most here any credit ... AT ALL .... AS USUAL :lol:

Nobody is saying that .. most everyone I respect here is looking at this and seeing the problems and understanding that a LOT of work hast to be done ...

BUT

we're also saying that a lot of credit has to be given to the fact that we have made a TON of progress and SHOULD continue to

that's all - stop trying to be so NEGATIVE - try and see the bigger picture - this may be a little difficult if you're not an open minded person :lol:

why should we not continue to get better like we have the past 2 years

making the playoffs in 2012 was seen as a 'bonus' not a reality - we won the NFC East :roll:

we have many issues .... but I do believe we will be better in 2013 than we were last season

PLUS - the giants and pukes have a lot of issues to address - such a shame :lol:
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

#######

Postby The Hogster » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:56 am

Skinsfan55

Anytime I'm agreeing with what SkinsJock is saying, you know you're wrong!!
:lol:

Things are not a good as they would be if we didn't have the cap penalty. But, we will be fine. We have a team that has depth in general. We still need to build, but we're right there. We have the pieces in place to contend for years to come. This offseason will add to what we have.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:03 am

I think we witnessed that start of a new chapter this year. RGIII's presence and ability, his leadership... It energized the rest of the team. The "it" factor was in full effect. We saw great coaching. We saw offensive coaches start a new trend in the NFL. We saw defensive coaches deal with debilitating injuries to their squad and elevate their effort/game after the bye week.

We also witnessed "depth". We saw players on our depth chart make huge plays to win games. We saw Crawford return a punt to clinch the game against Baltimore. We saw Rob Jackson intercept Romo to seal the deal. Alfred Morris, took the rushing record. We saw Lereibus (spelling) come in for Kory. Kirk cousins beat the browns and ravens. We saw young CB's provide adequate coverage when we lost a player to suspension.

More so than ever, we've seen our young players step up. Why would that stop? Those players have experience. I expect them to contribute again. I expect offensive linemen drafted last year to jockey for position. I expect the 2013 draft class to shake things up and push players.

I look forward to seeing IF Tanard can bring anything to the table. I look forward to a healthy Merriweather. I look forward to seeing how the team addresses those positions via the draft.

It's exciting and this team has proven to be resilient.

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:00 pm

It's funny because I sent a friend of mine a link to this thread. This friend is not a Redskins fan and he read through the responses and he was like "So are all Redskins fans in denial?"
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:05 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:It's funny because I sent a friend of mine a link to this thread. This friend is not a Redskins fan and he read through the responses and he was like "So are all Redskins fans in denial?"

So at least you two have something in common.

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:08 pm

Jammal Brown's contract will void in a few hours freeing up 1.1 million of salary for this offseason.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... id-friday/

The team has about 5 weeks to free up some more money before free agency and the draft. Personally, I'd like to find a way to cut, rather than restructure DeAngelo Hall... this is going to be a deep market for corners.

Here's Pro Football Focus' suggested list of fixes for the Redskins and I can't say I disagree with any of them:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... -redskins/

In particular I would love to see Ryan Harris in Burgundy and Gold. Hell, I've been talking about that for years.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:12 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
Skinsfan55 wrote:It's funny because I sent a friend of mine a link to this thread. This friend is not a Redskins fan and he read through the responses and he was like "So are all Redskins fans in denial?"

That's the worst thing about THN, anyone who doesn't wear Redskins colored glasses is accused of not being a fan. For my entire time here I've seen everyone who disagrees with a move, a hiring, or questions the direction of the team get told they're not a true fan.

This isn't a place for a discussion about the Redskins where people can exchange ideas. It's a circle jerk where anyone outside of the hive mind is shunned.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:15 pm

Per Kevin Sheehan...

http://redskins.espn980.com/bloggers/kevin-sheehan

This is a list of things about the Skins' 2012 season that I want to remember when we get to free agency, draft, and beyond.

1. RG3's Spectacular Season. The whys and hows of his injury will dominate the offseason discussion but let's not let it totally overshadow the greatest rookie season in franchise history. His debut game in New Orleans was stunning. The final drive in Tampa, the 76-yard game-clinching run against Minnesota, and the go-ahead touchdown drive late in the 4th quarter in East Rutherford were breath-taking early-season moments. The 7-game season-ending win streak featured 8 touchdown passes in back to back wins over Philly and Dallas, a clutch go-ahead touchdown pass against the Giants in a huge Monday night win, and two clutch throws on the final drive against Baltimore on one leg. He threw 20 touchdowns against just 5 picks with a 102.4 QB rating.....as a rookie! Oh and by the way, he rushed for 815 yards while leading the league in yards per carry at 6.8. The list of eye-popping plays he made during the course of the season are too numerous to mention but how's the 88-yarder to Garcon in the opener, the 4th and 10 to Paulson the first Giant game, the 76-yard TD run against Minnesota, the 30-yard go-ahead TD pass to Moss in the first Giant game, and the TD pass to Moss just before the half on Thanksgiving in Dallas for starters.

2. Pierre Garcon's Impact on W's and L's. With Garcon the Redskins were 9-2, without him they were 1-5. He was a difference-maker for sure.

3. Alfred Morris. He was the perfect zone-stretch and zone-read runner. He set the franchise record with 1,613 yards with the perfect combination of vision and power. His 33 carries for 200 yards and 3 touchdowns in the NFC East title game against Dallas in the season-finale is one of the franchise's all-time great individual performances.

4. Santana Moss Wasn't Done. The 33-year old led the team with 8 touchdown catches and was third on the squad with 41 catches.

5. The Offense Was Top 5 and Could've Been Better. They finished 5th overall, 1st in rushing averaging 169.3 per game, 4th overall in scoring at 27.3 points per game, and it could've been better if their defense didn't rank towards the bottom. Imagine that offense with a defense that gave them the ball back quicker.

6. Offensive Innovation. Mike and Kyle Shanahan introduced the NFL to the "Pistol". The "Pistol" was nothing more than a formation that allowed them to more effectively run their traditional zone-stretch offense while also threatening defenses occasionally with the lethal "Read-Option". Once the Shanahans introduced RG3 as a run-threat out of the "Pistol", the offense became nearly unstoppable. The most overrated talk during the season was how many times RG3 ran from the "Pistol" while underrated was what the threat of him running did to defenses. Separating truth from fiction, the "Read-Option" was not only the most effective passing offense the Redskins ran, it was the safest and cleanest pocket for RG3. He barely got hit on throws on the "Read-Option" and his primary receiver was almost always open. By midseason, San Francisco and Seattle were among the teams copying what the Redskins were doing.

7. Turnover Margin. The Skins ranked 3rd in the league at +17 and led the league with just 14 giveaways. A big reason for their 7-game season-ending win streak was 15 takeaways and a plus-10 margin.

8. Defense Got Better. 28th overall isn't good and leaves a ton of room for improvement but after the bye at 3-6, a defense that couldn't stop anybody started to and a team that couldn't generate any pass rush got some. Jim Haslett deserves a lot of credit for figuring out how to take a defense decimated by injuries and suspension early (see Carriker, Orakpo, Merriweather, Jackson) and turning into a competitive group by the final month of the season.

9. Penalties' Good and Bad. The Redskins were penalized an average of 7 times a game (5th most in the league) but just 2.7 times per game in their last 3 games (best in the league).

10. Danny Smith's Comeback. From two blocked punts in the first two games to a very good rest of the year. Fans wanted him fired early but his punt coverage team finished 8th while his kickoff coverage team finished 12th. Brandon Banks was ineffective but the move to Richard Crawford on punt returns worked.

11. Kai Forbath. Nobody can explain the move to Cundiff at the end of the preseason but the final outcome was a good one after Cundiff predictably failed. Forbath set an NFL record by making 17 straight field goals to start his career....he finished 17-18, missing his final attempt of the season into the wind and on the sand at Fed Ex.

12. Fed Ex Turf. A total disaster late in the season and a total embarrassment in the playoff loss to Seattle.

13. Biggest Offseason Needs. Safeties, corners, and another playmaker on offense are my top 3 priorities. Big decisions regarding Fred Davis and Brian Orakpo.

You know what fellas, we have nothing to look forward to next year. No foundation from which we can continue to progress. :lol:

Skinsfan55 wrote:This isn't a place for a discussion about the Redskins where people can exchange ideas. It's a circle jerk where anyone outside of the hive mind is shunned.

You created a thread and whenever someone posted an idea, you labeled it as stupid. You called them blind. YOU killed the thought process and separated yourself from good discussion. You did it to yourself. So take your hypocrisy somewhere else. Don't cry about it now, well... Let me rephrase, don't continue to cry about it now. And the funniest thing of all, initially brought zero ideas to the discussion... Yet you knocked everyone else.

And if you believe what you said to be true, why are you here? You're starting to sound like Redskin_fanatic or whatever his name was. You can most definitely leave, you won't be the first nor the last. Go to ES. :lol:

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:35 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:

That's the worst thing about THN, anyone who doesn't wear Redskins colored glasses is accused of not being a fan. For my entire time here I've seen everyone who disagrees with a move, a hiring, or questions the direction of the team get told they're not a true fan.

Honestly, I am one of the bigger non-B&G kool-aid drinkers on this board and I have never been called out as not being a fan. I have been called ignorant by some "misinformed" posters, but never as not being a skins fan.

Back in 2008 I was getting slammed by basically everyone on this board because it was my opinion that Jason Campbell wasn't a starting calibur QB ---- but no one said I wasn't a fan.

If you support the positions you take with logic and background as to why you believe them, people may disagree but they won't call you out.

If you think we are in a bad position because of the cap, why? Give us numbers, details, not just a generalization. How much do we have against the cap, what do players/position do we need, how much it will cost, which current FA players fit, etc. If you just generalize something or an idea, as it appears you have, you will be called out. Supporting your position is key in this forum.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football