Smithsonian Museum

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Smithsonian Museum

Postby Krusheasy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:54 am

The Smithsonian's National Museum of the American Indian @SmithsonianNMAI is hosting a symposium today, Feb 7 10:15-5:45, to change the Redskins mascot. Link to watch on @Ustream http://ustre.am/5ji0

Pretty sure this is going to be a one sided discussion. Mike Wise will be among the speaker. If anyone plans on attending give him a big hug for me.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:03 am

Good look! I didn't even know about this
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:43 pm

Mike Wise is a twit
SPIT HAPPENS!!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:55 pm

Yawn
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:06 am

It's gonna happen at some point. I hope they're already preparing for it and thinking of a new name/mascot.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:53 am

Ah so the Smithsonian is the real authority in the US? Man did I miss that one

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:45 am

a rose by any other name is still a rose

the NFL team that plays in Washington DC is FOREVER going to be the Redskins ...

"legally" the name may change - I seriously doubt that ... but ... this franchise will ALWAYS be the Redskins to me
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

piggie

Postby fetus » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:51 am

So retarded... let's really focus on this as the biggest world issue
RGIII and the terrible D

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:02 pm

fetus wrote:So retarded... let's really focus on this as the biggest world issue

Yes. Until all "big" world issues are resolved we should not spend any time on any other issue. Never mind that the Smithsonian isn't really handling any of those other issues, so talking about the Redskins name isn't slowing down the search for a cure for cancer.

Lookit, I love my Redskins, but I can also understand that if IFIFIFIFIFIFIFIF it is in fact offensive to many that my team is named "Redskins", then it is at some point going to end up with a change of their name. It won't be the end of the world.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:29 pm

I'm offended by the name Cowboys... do you think they will change it?
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:41 pm

fetus wrote:So retarded... let's really focus on this as the biggest world issue

Seriously. This is what pisses me off about this whole ordeal.

People are getting all self-righteous over this. You mean to tell me that this is the only issues you have the balls to speak up about? Cowards. Absolute, hypocritical, cowards.

I blocked Washington Post from my search results. Tired of wanna be famous writers jumping on the bandwagon pretending to care. I am in the news industry and I can tell you, writers give two sh!ts about what they write...they're just trying to get a story that secures their job for the week.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:46 pm

I disagree with this way of seeing it. The problem isn't that the Redskins name should be changed but that there's a lot of other stuff that has to happen first. The Redskins shouldn't change their name. No need to agree with the basic premise that it's racist. It's just not.

The offseason is the worst . . .
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:49 pm

Countertrey wrote:I'm offended by the name Cowboys... do you think they will change it?

What cracks me up is that they want all Native American terms/etc. removed from sports.

Feel like asking who they think they are.

As for the people so offended by the NAME, you might want to check American history with the Native Americans. If you're so offended by the name and can't move forward from the past, I advise you leave the country.

In the mean time, we'll close our eyes to Taxation without Representation and your ridiculous traffic light ticketing system that you can't even keep up with. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the fact that there aren't enough employees to mail these out every month and folks have to pay double when you get that "Second Notice" three months later.

Those of you who drive in DC know EXACTLY what I'm referring to.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:57 pm

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:If you're so offended by the name and can't move forward from the past, I advise you leave the country.

Well... I mean, they were kinda here first. I'm just saying. :lol: Your post made me think of the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsTHuY2b0bg
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:20 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:If you're so offended by the name and can't move forward from the past, I advise you leave the country.

Well... I mean, they were kinda here first. I'm just saying. :lol: Your post made me think of the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsTHuY2b0bg

No dude not the Natives, the liberals acting all butt hurt. So tired of referencing the old survey that demonstrated most Natives had no issue with the name and that schools on reservations use the word Redskins.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football