Rate our QBs - past and present

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby emoses14 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:32 pm

I did not see slinging sammy and sonny play, Jay schroeder has no place on any list other than at the bottom below shane mathews, and how anyone has the sex cannon ranked over jason campbell, even taking into account the unreal amount of hatred for him, is crazy.

Eventually I'm going to get around to ranking these QBs based on some semi-logical basis, however, on the strength of just one night, one game etched into my childhood memory, I guarantee you that Douglass Lee Williams will be far higher than anyone else has got him and, probably, than he has a right to be (maybe).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2162 ... r-bowl-win

I still remember this as if it happened yesterday.

Also, ;furious; Jay Schroeder.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:32 pm

emoses14 wrote:I did not see slinging sammy and sonny play, Jay schroeder has no place on any list other than at the bottom below shane mathews, and how anyone has the sex cannon ranked over jason campbell, even taking into account the unreal amount of hatred for him, is crazy.

Eventually I'm going to get around to ranking these QBs based on some semi-logical basis, however, on the strength of just one night, one game etched into my childhood memory, I guarantee you that Douglass Lee Williams will be far higher than anyone else has got him and, probably, than he has a right to be (maybe).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2162 ... r-bowl-win

I still remember this as if it happened yesterday.

Also, ;furious; Jay Schroeder.

I'd rate Doug Williams pretty high, as well. So did Joe Gibbs...as best I remember, Williams was making $450K, and "people" (mean Jack Kent Cooke) thought that was too high for a backup QB, especially since Schroeder was the rising star of the '85 and '86 seasons. Considered right up with Marino and Elway and the other young QB's. (Jim Kelley?).

Ah, Jay...what happened?

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:00 pm

I rate Jay very highly. He brought us Jim Lachey. :lol:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:58 pm

welch wrote:
I'd rate Doug Williams pretty high, as well. So did Joe Gibbs...as best I remember, Williams was making $450K, and "people" (mean Jack Kent Cooke) thought that was too high for a backup QB, especially since Schroeder was the rising star of the '85 and '86 seasons. Considered right up with Marino and Elway and the other young QB's. (Jim Kelley?).

Ah, Jay...what happened?
Sometimes, the arrogant actually get what they deserve...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:24 pm

Countertrey wrote:
welch wrote:

Ah, Jay...what happened?

I remember Jay's comment before the Wind Bowl NFC Championship at Giants Stadium: the wind is no problem...just keep the nose of the ball down...

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:10 pm

welch wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
welch wrote:

Ah, Jay...what happened?

I remember Jay's comment before the Wind Bowl NFC Championship at Giants Stadium: the wind is no problem...just keep the nose of the ball down...

I don't think we should bash him too much. He got us to the game. Does he still hold the team record for most passing yards in a season? The Giants were pretty good. We ran for 40 yards that day. We never kicked off.

I remember Gary Clark dropping a nice deep ball - a great throw into the wind - probably a TD. I also remember getting an early stop on 3rd and long. The Giants committed holding and rather than let them kick a FG on 4th down Gibbs took the penalty and gave them another chance on 3rd down hoping to force a punt. They converted (Simms to McConkey) and then scored a TD. 7-0 Giants.

If Willams had not come back into the next Super Bowl after getting hurt Jay may have ended up as MVP. He made one very important play when he was in. He got blindsided and could easily have fumbled but did not (Williams actually did fumble when he got injured - the refs were kind).

Jay was nice enough to autograph a football for me. Nice ball. Got 4 qbs on it - Jay, Doug, Mark, and Babe - during the strike.

Jays' career took a nose dive when he went to the Raiders. It was a good move for us - Beathard knew what he was doing.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Postby yupchagee » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:28 pm

Countertrey wrote:You have to have a defense in order to get to the playoffs.

Sam

Sonny.

Done.

Labaron get honorable mention.

Theisman is NOT in the conversation. He and Ryp, were the product of the mind of Gibbs.

& incredible O-lines.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:34 am

DarthMonk wrote:
welch wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
welch wrote:

Ah, Jay...what happened?

I don't think we should bash him too much. He got us to the game. Does he still hold the team record for most passing yards in a season? The Giants were pretty good. We ran for 40 yards that day. We never kicked off.

I remember Gary Clark dropping a nice deep ball - a great throw into the wind - probably a TD. I also remember getting an early stop on 3rd and long. The Giants committed holding and rather than let them kick a FG on 4th down Gibbs took the penalty and gave them another chance on 3rd down hoping to force a punt. They converted (Simms to McConkey) and then scored a TD. 7-0 Giants.

If Willams had not come back into the next Super Bowl after getting hurt Jay may have ended up as MVP. He made one very important play when he was in. He got blindsided and could easily have fumbled but did not (Williams actually did fumble when he got injured - the refs were kind).

Jay was nice enough to autograph a football for me. Nice ball. Got 4 qbs on it - Jay, Doug, Mark, and Babe - during the strike.

Jays' career took a nose dive when he went to the Raiders. It was a good move for us - Beathard knew what he was doing.

I was at that game and Clark's drop was a game changer. It was a certain TD that would have tied the game at that point. And we did kick off at least once. :wink:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:14 pm

Deadskins wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:
welch wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
welch wrote:

Ah, Jay...what happened?

I was at that game and Clark's drop was a game changer. It was a certain TD that would have tied the game at that point. And we did kick off at least once. :wink:

Actually, the Giants won the toss and did not (could not) defer. They chose a direction whence we elected to receive. We then chose to receive in the 2nd half. In an odd twist, we never kicked off. It's true.

I did make a mistake, though. The Giants already led 3-0 before the penalty I referenced. The ensuing TD made it 10-0. Clark's drop either would have given us a 7-0 lead, a 7-3 lead or made it 7-10 ... I can't remember.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football