Redskins sign former second-rounder Ron Brace

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Redskins sign former second-rounder Ron Brace

Postby Kilmer72 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:36 pm

Hog

Postby Jeremy81 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:39 pm

I like it...any time you can get a little more depth and competition at that position, it's a good thing

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:06 pm

Oh for ;furious; 's sake. That first sentence is just precisely the kind of thing that fuels our fan bases' "us against the world" mentality. I know Florio has to pump his ridiculous "RGIII should use his cache to force Dan Snyder to change the team name" stance, but LORD what a stretch to include it in a roto wire note.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:41 pm

PFT is starting to turn into TMZ.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby aswas71788 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:53 pm

He didn't show much with the Patriots, don't expect him to show much here. Maybe a back-up.........maybe.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:52 am

aswas71788 wrote:He didn't show much with the Patriots, don't expect him to show much here. Maybe a back-up.........maybe.

In defense of the guy, it's hard to show much when you're stuck behind Vince Wilfork... We'll see what he can do here. Truth be told, we need a monster NT. We'd be the luckiest team in the world if this guy for some reason held talent hostage in NE and blew up here.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:55 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
aswas71788 wrote:He didn't show much with the Patriots, don't expect him to show much here. Maybe a back-up.........maybe.

In defense of the guy, it's hard to show much when you're stuck behind Vince Wilfork... We'll see what he can do here. Truth be told, we need a monster NT. We'd be the luckiest team in the world if this guy for some reason held talent hostage in NE and blew up here.

With a nod to your logic, I still won't hold my breath that he all of a sudden blows up as a monster that Belicheat couldn't figure out how to use better. Say what you like about the man, he clearly knows d linemen, linebackers.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:31 am

emoses14 wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:

With a nod to your logic, I still won't hold my breath that he all of a sudden blows up as a monster that Belicheat couldn't figure out how to use better. Say what you like about the man, he clearly knows d linemen, linebackers.

Well, I'm not holding my best and I was just speaking of a best case scenario that would be very unlikely.

Even if the dude was a good player, he'd rarely see any time behind Vince Wilfork. Dude's arguably the best NT in the game and prolly a HOFer. It'll be interesting to see if we can get this kid motivated.

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:38 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
emoses14 wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:

Well, I'm not holding my best and I was just speaking of a best case scenario that would be very unlikely.

Even if the dude was a good player, he'd rarely see any time behind Vince Wilfork. Dude's arguably the best NT in the game and prolly a HOFer. It'll be interesting to see if we can get this kid motivated.

I certainly hope so. Not leaning in either direction right now, but sometimes a player just never produces on a team even though they are good. Deon Sanders anyone?

Hopefully he somehow fits into our scheme. I mean just because we sign the dude doesn't mean we have to keep him all year. Hopefully he'll be a steal, but I'm not going to get hopeful nor doubtful in the meantime.

Best of luck to him!!

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:33 pm

It is tough in that he was behind Wilfork, but one of the major reasons his draft stock was so high is because he played next to Raji.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:40 am

Low risk signing. Just cross your fingers. He may work his tail off and become a keeper?
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:54 am

For someone like him, work ethic will be what makes or breaks his career here. Clearly he has talent, strength, athleticism, etc. Not a lot riding on it for us, but that's just reason not to get too optimistic.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

swine

Postby RG3peat » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:38 am

HEROHAMO wrote:Low risk signing. Just cross your fingers. He may work his tail off and become a keeper?

Exactally....low risk.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:08 am

Ron Brace

6'3, 326 pounds | Boston College | Defensive tackle

Strengths: Brace possesses the size of a two-gap plugger, but the quickness to of a one-gap tackle. He uses that size and quickness to stuff the run nicely. He has a powerful base and is hard to move around. Because of that, running backs have to adjust where they're going or run right into Brace. Strong against the double team. During the 2008 season, Brace would regularly take up two blockers so teammate B.J. Raji could burst into the backfield. Uses his power to collapse the interior of the pocket. Good agility, which allows him to slide down the line really well.

Weaknesses: Not especially productive. Had only 27 tackles as a senior, which is just over two a game. Really not a factor rushing the pass unless he can push a blocker back or gets an open lane. Some questions about his durability due to recurring back ailment in 2008. Pursuit and effort are lacking at times. Doesn't always fight hard to get through double teams. Inconsistent with his technique. Will get too upright at times negating his his strength.

Final word: Brace is a top run-stopping tackle who was often overshadowed by Raji. He may not be much of a pass rusher, but his ability against the run warrants such a high grade. A second-team All ACC member in 2008 and honorable mention in 2007. Has some versatility because he's a multi-technique tackle.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:19 pm

emoses14 wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:

Belichick's actually been more hit-or-miss with personnel — much more of a mixed record than his reputation implies. Aside from Mayo, he's had a few mis-hits* on LB draft picks and FA signings. The Patriots have drafted DL fairly consistently with limited success. And of course he flopped on his Albert Haynesworth bet.

They've also had bad luck with DB signings, and at least one such bust is now having success on another team. I wouldn't get too comfortable assuming that if Belichick's dumped a guy he has no chance of producing for our team.

*The THN filter catches that if I don't hyphenate. :oops:
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football