Is this a good Idea?

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!

Should Teams be allowed to trade Cap Space

Yes
43%
Yes... but only for Draft picks
5%
Yes... but not for Draft Picks
No votes
No
52%

Total votes : 21
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Is this a good Idea?

Postby 1niksder » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:11 am

Teams should be able to trade cap space

Florio makes a lot of good points with this idea, what do you think?
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

DarthMonk

Re: Is this a good Idea?

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:26 am

1niksder wrote:Teams should be able to trade cap space

Here was an interesting comment. whattayathink about this one, nik?

perryw9202 says:
Feb 14, 2013 3:36 PM
How about being able to trade a player with his cap number and not next year’s salary?

Take for example Suggs from Baltimore. Has a $13M cap number or something like that for 2013. Lets say it’s $6.5M salary and $6.5 prorated bonus. Trade him to Bengals for a player and they would have to take the $13M hit but only outlay $6.5M. Would free up $13M less the salary of the player they received on Ravens side.

As it is now if Suggs were traded or cut they’d not have to pay the $6.5 Salary, but all of the prorated bonus would be immediately on the books as dead money.

Might work
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

swine

Postby RG3peat » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:03 am

I wonder if hes a lawyer? Set up a system to even the playing field and create parity (or at least try if every team used the cap space) AND THEN create a "loophole to get around it......why have a salary cap then at all? Smart/lucky teams will be good without using all the space and you could still be bad by using ALL of it with poor choices.....They say...."dont fix something that isnt broken".....

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:17 pm

If it benefits our team I am for it. :D
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:23 am

DarthMonk wrote:

perryw9202 says:
How about being able to trade a player with his cap number and not next year’s salary?

Take for example Suggs from Baltimore. Has a $13M cap number or something like that for 2013. Lets say it’s $6.5M salary and $6.5 prorated bonus. Trade him to Bengals for a player and they would have to take the $13M hit but only outlay $6.5M. Would free up $13M less the salary of the player they received on Ravens side.

As it is now if Suggs were traded or cut they’d not have to pay the $6.5 Salary, but all of the prorated bonus would be immediately on the books as dead money.

Might work

Doesn't add up....

The Bengals cap hit would be over $15M and they would get the same $11M in his pocket in 2013 that he would be getting from the Ravens

Suggs' salary is $6.4M this year and he has Reporting, Workout and Roster bonuses of $4.6M. The only prorated money left is $4.04M spread out over two years. Why would a team trade for a player in order to pay him $11M for the year and eat another four, plus whatever they would have to give up to get the pro bowler and Super Bowl champ?

On the other hand the Ravens would love to trade him if he were a lesser player with the same cap number. They wouldn't have to pay the Base, or the other bonuses and not have to account for the last two years of the signing bounus they already paid.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:26 am

I voted NO.

It would be messy and would wind up causing more of a mess than necessary without really improving teams. In short, it would give guys like Vinny Cerrato jobs at figuring out cute ways to totally eff up a team.

Last edited by The Hogster on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:35 am

1niksder wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:

perryw9202 says:

Might work

Doesn't add up....

The Bengals cap hit would be over $15M and they would get the same $11M in his pocket in 2013 that he would be getting from the Ravens

Suggs' salary is $6.4M this year and he has Reporting, Workout and Roster bonuses of $4.6M. The only prorated money left is $4.04M spread out over two years. Why would a team trade for a player in order to pay him $11M for the year and eat another four, plus whatever they would have to give up to get the pro bowler and Super Bowl champ?

On the other hand the Ravens would love to trade him if he were a lesser player with the same cap number. They wouldn't have to pay the Base, or the other bonuses and not have to account for the last two years of the signing bounus they already paid.

Well aside from the exact numbers this is what it's all about. One team has cap room to spare so they obtain the player they want in spite of the cost while the other team needs cap space so badly they sacrifice a very good player to clear massive cap space.

BTW - I voted NO.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:11 pm

Instead of allowing teams to trade cap space, they should simply adjust the rules on when money counts against the cap.

Each team should get an trade or release exemption--much like a Franchise Tag. But, instead, on this scenario, the team can trade or release a player and totally remove all of that player's cap number from the books.

For example. A player would normally count $13M against the cap if released. But under this exemption the team could write off his entire cap number resulting in an increase in cap space during that year.

Call it the Write Off Tag/Exemption. You can only tag one player per year with it. And, maybe limit to 3 times every 5 year period so that teams aren't just expunging their rosters to make a massive free agent run.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:27 am

I voted no.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:43 am

No.

It's confusing enough but thanks.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:17 am

I voted NO

but, I WOULD change that vote in a heartbeat if I thought that Mara did not like the idea also .... :wink:
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive soon, we have too many issues to address - we'll win some games but it will take years to be good again

Postby yupchagee » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:56 pm

Better choice is to end the cap.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:50 pm

The Jets were already trying to do that this year. The owe Sanchez like $8.5M as guaranteed contract this year. They wanted to trade him to the Bucs and then the Bucs could keep him or cut him, but they would have been on the hook for the cap hit.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:03 pm

Allowing teams to trade cap space does the opposite of its intention.

I also prefer having the cap since if it were gone, things would change given the popularity of the game. Ticket prices would go up and I wouldn't be surprised if the owners/NFL starting charging $$$ to watch games on TV.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Return to General Manager's Office