Redskin All-Time Team Poll - Left Tackle Runoff

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Who was the best Redskin left tackle of all time?

Joe Jacoby
75%
Jim Lachey
25%

Total votes : 24
DarthMonk

Redskin All-Time Team Poll - Left Tackle Runoff

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:38 am

I forgot we had gotten this far before the season started last year. Jacoby and Lachey dominated Samuels in the voting and now it's time for a runoff.

So who was the best Redskin left tackle of all time - Joe Jacoby or Jim Lachey?

Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Jim Lachey was the better player, albeit for a shorter time.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:45 am

Honestly the best LT is Chris Samuels. Athletically, skill and technique wise, the ranking should be 1. Samuels, 2. Lachey 3. Jacoby

BUT

I think the overall Redskins Ranking is in the reverse.

1. Jacoby
2. Lachey
3. Samuels

I say that because, we Redskins fans value legend and glory. While Samuels was consistently considered the best LT in the NFC by his peers, he played during a decade of Suckdom. Therefore, he'll never crack the Top 2.

Jacoby and Lachey both anchored Championship lines. They are Hogs. That pushes them to the top even though I think if all three are say in the NFL Draft this year, or up for the Pro Bowl at the same time. Samuels gets chosen first, Lachey second and Jacoby third.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:39 pm

Jake...

Because it isn't just about talent...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:28 am

The Hogster wrote:Honestly the best LT is Chris Samuels.

Disagree. Samuels was third best of the group.

Hail to the Redskins!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:32 am

Deadskins wrote:

I said if we're ranking the best Redskins LTs--considering their impact on the team's success, etc, then Samuels is the 3rd best. & Jacoby is the no brainer #1. But, if I'm scouting these three players at the same time in each of their careers, Samuels is the best player. In the end, I went with Jacoby. But, Jacoby was not a more talented LT. Even Joe Gibbs said that Jacoby got by on grit, determination and heart. He is a legend. That's why he's #1.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

swine

Postby SKIN4LIFE » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:52 pm

The Hogster wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

I said if we're ranking the best Redskins LTs--considering their impact on the team's success, etc, then Samuels is the 3rd best. & Jacoby is the no brainer #1. But, if I'm scouting these three players at the same time in each of their careers, Samuels is the best player. In the end, I went with Jacoby. But, Jacoby was not a more talented LT. Even Joe Gibbs said that Jacoby got by on grit, determination and heart. He is a legend. That's why he's #1.

Sorry, but nobody, well maybe you, thought Samuels was the best LT in the league when he was playing. He wasn't better than Ogden, Pace, or Walter Jones (all played during parts of his career). I know who picks the probowl, but I don't remember Samuels being voted in as a starter. The guy was great against the bottom feeders of the DE position and just good against the premier pass rushers. Not to mention, he wasn't going to manhandle anyone in the run game.

That is why I have to go with Jacoby. Lachey was a technician, but I like those nasty lineman who will get you a 3rd and 1, guaranteed, just run right up Jacoby's back and move the chains.

just my 2 cents.
Changing the ways of Today (salary cap) will allow us to celebrate championships in the Future.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:47 pm

I personmally give Jake more of an edge in the run game than I give Lachey in the pass game.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:18 pm

SKIN4LIFE wrote:
The Hogster wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

Sorry, but nobody, well maybe you, thought Samuels was the best LT in the league when he was playing. He wasn't better than Ogden, Pace, or Walter Jones (all played during parts of his career). I know who picks the probowl, but I don't remember Samuels being voted in as a starter. The guy was great against the bottom feeders of the DE position and just good against the premier pass rushers. Not to mention, he wasn't going to manhandle anyone in the run game.

That is why I have to go with Jacoby. Lachey was a technician, but I like those nasty lineman who will get you a 3rd and 1, guaranteed, just run right up Jacoby's back and move the chains.

just my 2 cents.

I said in the NFC. Read slower. Ogden was in the AFC. And, yes, Walter Jones was better than Samuels. But, Jones is an All Time great LT. Being consistently the 2nd best to one of the All Time best is nothing to sneeze at. Not to mention, I said that Jacoby is the best Redskins LT. Just like Art Monk is the greatest Redskins WR, but if you ask me Charlie Taylor was a better athlete. It's a matter of how you view the question when you're comparing players across 3 decades.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:16 pm

The Hogster wrote:
SKIN4LIFE wrote:
The Hogster wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

just my 2 cents.

I said in the NFC. Read slower. Ogden was in the AFC. And, yes, Walter Jones was better than Samuels. But, Jones is an All Time great LT. Being consistently the 2nd best to one of the All Time best is nothing to sneeze at. Not to mention, I said that Jacoby is the best Redskins LT. Just like Art Monk is the greatest Redskins WR, but if you ask me Charlie Taylor was a better athlete. It's a matter of how you view the question when you're comparing players across 3 decades.

But if you're going to start one on the all-time Redskins team, it's going to be Lachey. That's what the question is asking.

Hail to the Redskins!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:29 pm

Deadskins wrote:
The Hogster wrote:
SKIN4LIFE wrote:
The Hogster wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

just my 2 cents.

But if you're going to start one on the all-time Redskins team, it's going to be Lachey. That's what the question is asking.

For the 3rd time, Jacoby
SPIT HAPPENS!!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:34 pm

Says you. I still say Lachey.

Hail to the Redskins!

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:21 pm

I am a younger fan so take my opinion with a grain of salt I guess.

Anyhow Samuels is one of my favorites but we all know he played during the bad times as far as team wins. So he wont get much of a vote.

All three in my opinion are close talent wise. So what separates them as far as greatness? The accolades and accomplishments as a great Redskin. All three are great Redskins. So who is the greatest Redskin left tackle?

Joe Jacoby 1981-1993 all with the Redskins was undrafted. Started on 2 SuperBowl winning teams and was part of a third SB winning team. Four pro Bowls.

Jim Lachey as a Redskin 1989-1995. 3 Pro Bowls and part of one winning SuperBowl team.

Chris Samuels 2000-2009. 6x Pro Bowler. If my memory serves me correctly made it to the playoffs three times. He gave it his best and still performed well during lackluster team years.

So I think Jacoby gets the title. Why? Well first off he accomplished the most for the Redskins on the field. Were talking about an undrafted free agent reaching the height of football accomplishments the Lombardi Trophy. Thats like purchasing a box of cracker jacks and finding a 24K gold chain inside.

Also consider the greatest Redskins moments. You can see it in your mind already. You can see Jacoby with Grimm leading the way for John Riggins on the iconic run to SB victory.
Redskins vs Broncos SuperBowl. You can see Jacoby blasting his opponent leading the way for Timmy Smith. Almost every great Redskin offensive moment Jake is there.

While Lachey took over left tackle when Jake got older. Dominated the league including Lawrence Taylor. Was part of one of the most dominating teams of all time. The fact is Jacoby was part of that team too.
IMHO Jake gets the nod.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

swine

Postby SKIN4LIFE » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:48 am

The Hogster wrote:
SKIN4LIFE wrote:
The Hogster wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

just my 2 cents.

I read your post again, and whether I read it slower or faster you said Samuels was regarded as the best LT in the NFC by his peers. That statement is false. You supported the rest of my statement when discussing Walter Jones. I like Samuels but I personnally think he was overrated. I can see why you are a fan and I respect your opinion. Just making sure the facts are accurate and it is a fact that he was not regarded as the best LT in the NFC at the time. So maybe you should type slower and more accurately. Take Care.
Changing the ways of Today (salary cap) will allow us to celebrate championships in the Future.

swine

Postby SKIN4LIFE » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:48 am

The Hogster wrote:
SKIN4LIFE wrote:
The Hogster wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

just my 2 cents.

I read your post again, and whether I read it slower or faster you said Samuels was regarded as the best LT in the NFC by his peers. That statement is false. You supported the rest of my statement when discussing Walter Jones. I like Samuels but I personnally think he was overrated. I can see why you are a fan and I respect your opinion. Just making sure the facts are accurate and it is a fact that he was not regarded as the best LT in the NFC at the time. So maybe you should type slower and more accurately. Take Care.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football