Contract talks on hold - working to recoup cap space

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Contract talks on hold - working to recoup cap space

Postby SKINS#1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:05 pm

The following article in the Washington Post indicates there may some hope for the Redskins to recoup some cap space.

"The Redskins have put contract negotiations with some of their players on hold, telling agents and players they remain hopeful they can recoup some of the salary cap space that was cut by the NFL last year, according to several people familiar with the situation.
Redskins officials have told those agents and players that they cannot negotiate in earnest until the salary cap matter is resolved. The players include some eligible for free agency in March and others who face the possibility of release unless their contracts are reworked, those people said. They spoke on the condition of anonymity because the team does not want such issues discussed publicly.
The team has told parties involved that it hopes to reach a resolution by late this week."

cappster

Postby Cappster » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:29 pm

Is there a link?
Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280x, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

Hog

Postby SKINS#1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:04 pm

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:09 pm

Just saw on twitter that there is a rumor out there that the Redskins are looking into suing the NFL to hold up free agency until this matter is resolved.

I'm not sure if it'll work but what I think it could do is suspend free agency which would tick off all the other owners and hopefully they'll just settle on a number with the Redskins so they can get something back, if not all.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:10 pm

with this update:

Update: 3:37: Redskins officials have told people in the league that they are considering going to court to seek an injunction that would hold up the start of free agency or threatening that move in a bid to bolster their negotiating leverage with the league. Those conversations were confirmed by two people with knowledge of them.

Both said that the Redskins have compelling arguments they could make in an attempt to convince a judge that they would suffer irreparable harm if they are not granted an injunction. But others familiar with the case have said they don’t believe the Redskins have legal arguments that weren’t already considered, and rejected, by an arbitrator.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:29 pm

DarthMonk wrote:... others familiar with the case have said they don’t believe the Redskins have legal arguments that weren’t already considered, and rejected, by an arbitrator.

sorry - when did this happen?
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:36 pm

frankcal20 wrote:Just saw on twitter that there is a rumor out there that the Redskins are looking into suing the NFL to hold up free agency until this matter is resolved.

I'm not sure if it'll work but what I think it could do is suspend free agency which would tick off all the other owners and hopefully they'll just settle on a number with the Redskins so they can get something back, if not all.

Or a bluff. If they do this I wonder if the Cowboys will jump on board?

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:49 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:
frankcal20 wrote:Just saw on twitter that there is a rumor out there that the Redskins are looking into suing the NFL to hold up free agency until this matter is resolved.

Or a bluff. If they do this I wonder if the Cowboys will jump on board?

I would imagine it would be a collaborative effort being that both teams benefit if the ruling goes through.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:58 pm

I really like the timing of this. This doesn't give the NFL much time to think about how to resolve this. Just like they did to us, we are not giving them time to think.

piggie

Postby fetus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:09 pm

hell yeah

suck it mara
and eat me goodell

I am loving this, give me back my money!
RGIII and the terrible D

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:10 pm

For the record I think the Redskins in hope of something working but realistically we won't get any of the money back?

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:06 pm

I'm not sure I like this...

Whilst I don't advocate laying down and taking crap usually, I get the feeling too much is stacked against us in this. Even if we win this battle we'll lose the war, they'll do us over in a different way.

Goodell will have our card marked for sure...

:-&
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:41 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:... others familiar with the case have said they don’t believe the Redskins have legal arguments that weren’t already considered, and rejected, by an arbitrator.

Posted at 12:05 PM ET, 05/22/2012

Arbitrator dismisses Redskins’, Cowboys’ salary cap appeal
By Mark Maske

An arbitrator Tuesday dismissed the challenge by the Washington Redskins and Dallas Cowboys to salary cap cuts imposed by the league in March.

Arbitrator Stephen Burbank ruled that the NFL and its players union had properly amended their collective bargaining agreement and the two teams could not challenge the decision.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... _blog.html
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:22 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:

Posted at 12:05 PM ET, 05/22/2012

Arbitrator dismisses Redskins’, Cowboys’ salary cap appeal
By Mark Maske

An arbitrator Tuesday dismissed the challenge by the Washington Redskins and Dallas Cowboys to salary cap cuts imposed by the league in March.

Arbitrator Stephen Burbank ruled that the NFL and its players union had properly amended their collective bargaining agreement and the two teams could not challenge the decision.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... _blog.html

Nope, the arbitrator did not reject any legal arguments. He just said the skins had to sue in court to use them.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

piggie

Postby burgngold4life » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:21 am

Don't know if getting on Goodell's bad side is such a good idea.

There will be yellow all over the ground all season long for starters. lol

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football