Our Salary Cap

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog
Posts: 1064
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:27 pm
Location: Arlington, VA (Ballston)

Postby ACW » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:27 am

Wait, why does Trent's salary DROP? :hmm:
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:15 pm

ACW wrote:Wait, why does Trent's salary DROP? :hmm:


The contract he signed paid him a $11M base last year, a $5M base in 2013, $7.5M in 2014, and $10.75M in 2015... also his reporting bonus increases each year going forward after 2013.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog
Posts: 1064
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:27 pm
Location: Arlington, VA (Ballston)

Postby ACW » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:54 pm

1niksder wrote:
ACW wrote:Wait, why does Trent's salary DROP? :hmm:


The contract he signed paid him a $11M base last year, a $5M base in 2013, $7.5M in 2014, and $10.75M in 2015... also his reporting bonus increases each year going forward after 2013.
Thanks. Seems weird to me though.
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:26 am

ACW wrote:
1niksder wrote:
ACW wrote:Wait, why does Trent's salary DROP? :hmm:


The contract he signed paid him a $11M base last year, a $5M base in 2013, $7.5M in 2014, and $10.75M in 2015... also his reporting bonus increases each year going forward after 2013.
Thanks. Seems weird to me though.


Signed when the big rookie paydays were known to be coming to a end, he got a six year deal worth $60M with a #3M signing bonus and a little over $36M of it guaranteed (about what he was paid over the last three years. That about 60% 0f the deal in the first three years, now they've got to cover the last 40% or so over the remaining three.

RGIII was drafted two years later and two spots higher... Left Tackles make good money but not QB money, yet Bob got a four year deal "only" worth $21.1M but the whole thing is guaranteed with a $13.8M signing bonus, and a increase in base salary every year with a 5th year option.

Trent also fired and replaced his agent in the middle of contract talks.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:04 am

Looks like the cap will be $123.9M in 2013

Accounting for escalators (mostly Perry Riley) and the newly released cap number, by my figures. the Redskins current cap space is ... -$1,667,258 :shock:
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

08 Champ
Posts: 13278
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:14 am

^^ :D

just gotta love it - we are not in bad shape and actually could be in pretty good shape if 'things' go our way :twisted:

then again ..... Mara and Godahell will surely try and ensure 'things' do NOT go our way :roll:
Griffin will become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL


Week 3 - 27-21

FanFromAnnapolis
Posts: 11061
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:01 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:45 am

1niksder wrote:Looks like the cap will be $123.9M in 2013

Accounting for escalators (mostly Perry Riley) and the newly released cap number, by my figures. the Redskins current cap space is ... -$1,667,258 :shock:


Good or bad?
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

^^^^^^^
Posts: 9015
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:52 pm

Postby frankcal20 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:03 am

I really wish we would restructure some folks contracts and quick like. Mainly these few:

D.Hall
Bowen
Cofield
Garcon (9+M this year)
Merriweather
Montgomery (doubt it here)
Josh Wilson (5+ M this year)

If we can recapture $1.5m from each player this year, that would free up $10.5m which would be huge for resigning guys and also bringing in a player or two.

08 Champ
Posts: 13278
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:29 pm

frankcal20 wrote:I really wish we would restructure some folks contracts and quick like. Mainly these few:
D.Hall
Bowen
Cofield
Garcon (9+M this year)
Merriweather
Montgomery (doubt it here)
Josh Wilson (5+ M this year)
If we can recapture $1.5m from each player this year, that would free up $10.5m which would be huge for resigning guys and also bringing in a player or two.


:hmm: I presume you're aware of this ...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... cap-space/

:lol: no worries ...
Griffin will become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL


Week 3 - 27-21

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:55 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
1niksder wrote:Looks like the cap will be $123.9M in 2013

Accounting for escalators (mostly Perry Riley) and the newly released cap number, by my figures. the Redskins current cap space is ... -$1,667,258 :shock:


Good or bad?

This is after the y eat the last $18M from cap gate... so I'll say BETTER


frankcal20 wrote:I really wish we would restructure some folks contracts and quick like. Mainly these few:

D.Hall
Bowen
Cofield
Garcon (9+M this year)
Merriweather
Montgomery (doubt it here)
Josh Wilson (5+ M this year)

If we can recapture $1.5m from each player this year, that would free up $10.5m which would be huge for resigning guys and also bringing in a player or two.


Once they start contract talks...

D. Hall is a must or he'll be released... if they released him today it would put them more than $6M under the cap. Same goes for Santana Moss (whom you didn't mention) releasing him would put them close to $1M under.

Bowen has almost $5M in unaccounted for pro-rations and a base salary of less than $4M. That's just pushing money into the future, Cofield has more unaccounted for $$$ than Bowen.

Garcon has a $8.2M cap hit and only $2.2M of his $11M bonus has been paid to the cap, maybe next year.

You get close with Merriweather, he could free up $1.45M if they re-work his deal.

Montgomery has about $1M in roster bonuses due over the next few years that they could play with but they just re-did his contract last year.

Josh Wilson's current deal has the potential to free up more cap space than Moss :shock:

They could look at Perry Riley, Trent Williams, Adam Carriker, and Orakpo as possible extentions along with Wilson, Moss (restructure or release), and Hall (restructure or release) to free up about $17M in space.

They would be adding years to the contracts of each one they re-work. Do they want to do that with Hall, Moss, and Carriker?
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

08 Champ
Posts: 13278
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:06 pm

^^^ this is very informative ...

I appreciate the value of 'experience' ... but ...

I hope we continue to place a premium on younger and faster players - That's just my 2 Cents.
Griffin will become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL


Week 3 - 27-21

^^^^^^^
Posts: 9015
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:52 pm

Postby frankcal20 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:59 am

I believe we're one of the youngest teams in the NFL. Also, i'm curious if the cap figures that are posted include the $18m hit or if we need to recoup the $1m + $18m. That will REALLY SUCK!!!

08 Champ
Posts: 13278
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:49 am

frankcal20 wrote:I believe we're one of the youngest teams in the NFL. Also, i'm curious if the cap figures that are posted include the $18m hit or if we need to recoup the $1m + $18m. That will REALLY SUCK!!!


I believe that 'the man' has indicated the cap figure is AFTER the 'cap hit' ..

we are one of the youngest franchises and should work hard to get even younger and faster :D
Griffin will become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL


Week 3 - 27-21

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:13 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
frankcal20 wrote:I believe we're one of the youngest teams in the NFL. Also, i'm curious if the cap figures that are posted include the $18m hit or if we need to recoup the $1m + $18m. That will REALLY SUCK!!!


I believe that 'the man' has indicated the cap figure is AFTER the 'cap hit' ..

we are one of the youngest franchises and should work hard to get even younger and faster :D


What SJ said
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

FanFromAnnapolis
Posts: 11061
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:01 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby Irn-Bru » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:29 pm

Thanks for the breakdown, 1nik. Not a ton of room for us to improve, but we really aren't in terrible shape with the cap. Just need to be shrewd again this offseason and maybe get lucky in the draft again. [-o<
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football