A.J. Smith expected to join Redskins front office as advisor

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby mastdark81 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:40 am

Sometimes a gm is not allowed to spend $ bc of a cheap owner, freeagency wise. in the draft, however he sucked point blank and get no excuses fo that one.

To think positive we do play his former division AFC WEST...this year and could have some insight on the teams we play due to his familiarity with the division.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:04 am

mastdark81 wrote:Sometimes a gm is not allowed to spend $ bc of a cheap owner, freeagency wise. in the draft, however he sucked point blank and get no excuses fo that one.

To think positive we do play his former division AFC WEST...this year and could have some insight on the teams we play due to his familiarity with the division.

:shock: Smith is simply coming in here to 'assist' ...

Smith was hoping to get a GM job and did not - some franchises were trying to get his assistance - OBVIOUSLY, because the NFL guys think he STILL KNOWS a thing or two

as far as the Redskins are concerned, it does NOT matter 1 iota what he has done, ALL that is relevant is that he ADDS to the 'mix' that is needed here :lol:

A.J. Smith is ONLY here to assist Bruce and Mike and not for any other silly 'theories'

just another example of doing ALL the little things that help make this franchise better
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

SCskinsFan

Postby SCSkinsFan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:12 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:I wonder who's idea this hire is? If it is Mike or Bruce's idea I'm fine with the hire. If this is Dan's idea, then it will be a train wreck.

If Mike hired him and AJ knows his place (below Mike on the personnel food chain) then it should help.

The Skins must have now hit a new record for an NFL team. They have to have the record for team executives with sons employed by the same team with the name Kyle. Also how many teams have ever had two former GMs on their payroll at the same time and neither has the final say on personnel decisions.

Like you said, The connection seems to be that Smith and Bruce used to work together and Smith's son is currenlty a scout for the Skins. Another father son combo. :roll:
Skins fan Stuck in Panther land

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:21 am

SCSkinsFan wrote:Another father son combo. :roll:

You guys get so butt-hurt over the most insignificant things.

Our father-son combo put together a top 5 offense last year...
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:57 am

This hire could work out. My only question is Why? This front office has proven the ability to (i) identify talent well (ii) sign free agents without over spending, (iii) pull off trades with undesirable veterans (McNabb, Haynesworth, Campbell) and (iv) manuever trades during the draft.

In short, the Front Office has been a huge strength. So why? Why do we need AJ Smith??

HAIL
SPIT HAPPENS!!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:03 pm

It's just another set of eyes. That's all.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:07 pm

frankcal20 wrote:It's just another set of eyes. That's all.

Let's hope so.

I'm a fan of the old motto, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

HAIL
SPIT HAPPENS!!

piggie

Postby fetus » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:09 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:

+1
RGIII and the terrible D

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:29 pm

frankcal20 wrote:It's just another set of eyes. That's all.

Agreed. Kinda hard to go wrong with an extra set of eyes. Not like he's making administrative decisions for the team independently.

With what we have for this draft and a lot of talent that will be available in the later rounds, this could prove to be a good move. Or of course it could be a waste of time but again he's not making decisions by himself so I'm good w/ that.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:36 pm

fetus wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:

+1

+2
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:41 pm

The Hogster wrote:I'm a fan of the old motto, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I hear you, but I'm also against falling into complacency. I don't this team to act as if they've made it. If they feel like an advisory can help, cool. They don't have to use his advice. IMHO, the best decisions are made when you are able to see things from a different perspective. That's what he brings to the table, a different perspective.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:15 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
The Hogster wrote:I'm a fan of the old motto, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

IMHO, the best decisions are made when you are able to see things from a different perspective. That's what he brings to the table, a different perspective.

we are getting better - Smith is someone this FO obviously thinks can help - no brainer

they are not trying to 'fix' ANYTHING - they are just adding another perspective from a guy this FO (& many in the NFL) thinks is good

this 'advisor' might have ended up someplace else .... he's here - this is a win/win
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

piggie

Postby capitaldefense » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:17 pm

fetus wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:

+1

+2

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:20 pm

Deadskins wrote:
aswas71788 wrote:I live in Palm Springs so we get lots of Chargers news. I am not a Chargers fan but do follow them, though not much. I only know what I read in the newspaper. Most Charger fans blame Smith for taking a Super Bowl contender and turning it into a mediocre team and for all of the issues that were there. There were lots. Norv Turner get the rest of the blame for not being a very good head coach. I just do not see that Smith brings anyting of value, even as an advisor.

I blame Norv for turning Marty's team into also rans.

Me too but I guess I really blame the guy responsible for firing Marty. I think some good interviews would be with guys who played from pre-Marty through at least a year of Norv. Be interesting to see what they'd say about discipline and leadership.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:59 am

I could care less what A.J. Smith has done - good or bad - means squat :lol:

ALL that is relevant regarding bringing him here is that he adds to the input

I'd also add that he's most likely not going to be here helping us for very long - he's going to be a GM somewhere soon - this guy is good

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football