Our Salary Cap

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:43 pm

~WP

What Redskins have the biggest cap figures for 2013? The list is as follows. There’s no indication that all of these players are targets for restructuring or release, but here’s how the biggest salary cap hits stack up:

Wide receiver Pierre Garcon: $8.2 million
Cornerback DeAngelo Hall: $8 million
Tackle Trent Williams: $7.98 million
Nose tackle Barry Cofield: $6.3 million
Linebacker London Fletcher: $6.2 million
Wide receiver Santana Moss: $6.16 million
Defensive end Stephen Bowen: $5.5 million
Cornerback Josh Wilson: $5.3 million
Linebacker Brian Orakpo: $5.1 million
Wide receiver Josh Morgan: $5.1 million
Defensive end Adam Carriker: $4.75 million
Guard Chris Chester: $4.3 million
Safety Brandon Meriweather: $2.9 million
Center Will Montgomery: $2.65 million

So, which players would you either restructure, or part ways with? How does releasing some of these guys affect their cap hits?
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:30 pm

Hall is the obvious choice. We get the full $8 mil back by cutting him.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:01 pm

Deadskins wrote:Hall is the obvious choice. We get the full $8 mil back by cutting him.

I've been parading about his release for some time now, but I can't help but wonder what he would be willing to restructure to.

Many here have speculated he could very well play better if we had a better SS & FS. Not so sure its worth the science experiment those with our money issues.

Thanks for the detailed posts everyone!! Things are definitely looking better for us than they were.

G4L

Postby Gibbs4Life » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:22 pm

Hall shut dez Bryant down 1 on 1 that should keep him as a restructure candidate
HAIL

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:27 pm

Gibbs4Life wrote:Hall shut dez Bryant down 1 on 1 that should keep him as a restructure candidate

Honestly, that was the only time all season I had a shift in attitude towards Hall.

His consistency is questionable. If he plays all next year like he did against the Cowboys, I'd be feeling pretty good about him being on the roster.

I'd low ball him and add performance incentives in the contract. Just saying, we need every player to be on his best game.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:24 pm

Deadskins wrote:Hall is the obvious choice. We get the full $8 mil back by cutting him.

I was thinking him, Fletch, and Chester. That would be about $15 M in cap space - I think.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:44 pm

I'd say cut Hall and restructure Williams, Cofield, and Bowen. There's a 50/50 chance Fletcher retires, I think, unless he's feeling like we've got a shot at the Super Bowl this year. Our draft class won't break the bank, so with the space we free up we'll even be able to make a play or two in the FA market.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:08 am

I get the "hate" towards Hall to a degree. But it's pretty interesting that Hall gets more attention than the poor saftey play and spotty pass rush that plagued this defense most of the year. Our corners get run through the ringer but everyone turns a blind eye to the circumstances that hinder them. You CANNOT have an average to below average pass rush, and ZERO help over the top and expect your cornerbacks to play lights off ON EVERY SINGLE PASS. It's impossible, it's improbable, it's downright unreasonable to expect that. But, I expect you do, most of u.

That being said, I'd love to have Hall back. I hope he can be resigned to a more CAP friendly deal. He's a player that you won't miss until he's gone. Regardless of how people feel about him, he's a leader on this defense. He brings an emotional surge to the defense.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:55 am

Irn-Bru wrote:I'd say cut Hall and restructure Williams, Cofield, and Bowen. There's a 50/50 chance Fletcher retires, I think, unless he's feeling like we've got a shot at the Super Bowl this year. Our draft class won't break the bank, so with the space we free up we'll even be able to make a play or two in the FA market.

I'm all for cutting Hall :shock: :twisted: ---->(*)<---- :idea: and restructuring Williams... Cofield and Bowen are a little more tricky because it locks them in on the roster in future years due to their cap hits rather than on field production I'm thinking Flecth has as much right to make this decisions as the tea, he's earned it... Just like Bob earned the chance to stay in a playoff game on one leg. <=== That would get you banned on ES ROTFALMAO

As far as the * goes...
Chris Luva Luva wrote:I get the "hate" towards Hall to a degree. But it's pretty interesting that Hall gets more attention than the poor saftey play and spotty pass rush that plagued this defense most of the year. Our corners get run through the ringer but everyone turns a blind eye to the circumstances that hinder them. You CANNOT have an average to below average pass rush, and ZERO help over the top and expect your cornerbacks to play lights off ON EVERY SINGLE PASS. It's impossible, it's improbable, it's downright unreasonable to expect that. But, I expect you do, most of u.

That being said, I'd love to have Hall back. I hope he can be resigned to a more CAP friendly deal. He's a player that you won't miss until he's gone. Regardless of how people feel about him, he's a leader on this defense. He brings an emotional surge to the defense.

It's strating to look like it would be better to cut then re-sign Hall than to rework his "capgate deal", it would be even better if... ... ... some of you know where I'm going :P . Re-sign him has a FS and let him play the slot receiver ever now and then.

FYI: Don't be surprised if Fletcher 's cap hit is $1M more than being reported, and Hall rerlease carries $1.3M in dead cap.

You'll only be surprised, if I get lazy

:evil: I'm looking into both deals again.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:37 am

Yeah, on second thought, it would probably be a bad idea to restructure Bowen and Cofield.

I would say consider cutting one of them, but I know they were voted defensive captains, so they are clearly valuable to the team. I just wish we were seeing a little more disruption from the interior of our line.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:01 pm

I also feel that the pass rush (or lack thereof) has to bear some of the blame for the poor play of the secondary

I also would like to see Hall be given a chance at SS - I'm sure he knows his salary is going to be a lot less
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:04 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:I get the "hate" towards Hall to a degree. But it's pretty interesting that Hall gets more attention than the poor saftey play and spotty pass rush that plagued this defense most of the year. Our corners get run through the ringer but everyone turns a blind eye to the circumstances that hinder them. You CANNOT have an average to below average pass rush, and ZERO help over the top and expect your cornerbacks to play lights off ON EVERY SINGLE PASS. It's impossible, it's improbable, it's downright unreasonable to expect that. But, I expect you do, most of u.

Just curious, did anyone record that last Skins Cowboys game? I'm curious to know if our DBs did exceptionally well in that game (hence contributing to D Hall's good performance).

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:56 am

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:Just curious, did anyone record that last Skins Cowboys game? I'm curious to know if our DBs did exceptionally well in that game (hence contributing to D Hall's good performance).

It's a team game, so there were a few factors.

1. Hall played a good game.
2. Romo going Romo.
3. Haslett's play calling.

When Romo had time in the pocket, he picked us apart. With the game on the line, Haslett increased the pressure and Rob Jackson sealed the deal. I'll watch it again from start to end but that's what I remember from breifly skipping through it the other night.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:51 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:Just curious, did anyone record that last Skins Cowboys game? I'm curious to know if our DBs did exceptionally well in that game (hence contributing to D Hall's good performance).

2. Romo going Romo.

When Romo had time in the pocket, he picked us apart. With the game on the line, Haslett increased the pressure and Rob Jackson sealed the deal. I'll watch it again from start to end but that's what I remember from breifly skipping through it the other night.

Awesome thanks for checking it out!! Would really be something to think about if Hall did so well on account our safeties stepping up as well.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:02 pm

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:

2. Romo going Romo.

Awesome thanks for checking it out!! Would really be something to think about if Hall did so well on account our safeties stepping up as well.

If he had a pick six it would have been a perfect game for him... He played lights out! Imo, He usually does, its the help that kills us. He is a gambler, but needs the help to be dangerous. He covered Dez like a blanket- and again usually does... When he gambles and misses, and the help isn't there, thats when we get torched. We want to be a stingy ball hawking D, and that's his style- just need the right pieces for it all to work.
I hope we can restructure and keep him in b&g.
Last edited by cowboykillerzRGiii on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football