Free Agent Thread

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
Hog

Postby ACW » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:04 am

Eric Winston anybody?
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:08 am

ACW wrote:Eric Winston anybody?

They tried last off season but didn't have the cap space.... He already got paid maybe his asking price will go down
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:23 pm

According to Pro Football Focus, Winston was the ninth-best right tackle overall last season behind Andre Smith, Gosder Cherilus, Anthony Davis, Sebastian Vollmer, Tyson Clabo, Orlando Franklin, Mitchell Schwartz and Phil Loadholt.

In pass protection, PFF ranked Winston at 13.2, good for seventh best at his position last season. Cherilus was ranked first among right tackles at 23.4.

As a run-blocker, Winston scored a 7.2, ranking him fourth. San Francisco’s Anthony Davis was best in the league at 22.4.

In addition to his ability, Winston is 29 (he’ll turn 30 in November) and healthy (he missed just one snap last season).

Might be costly...

Signing Winston won’t be that easy. The Redskins are up just as much against the cap as they are against time. In an effort to make way for Winston, they would be forced to make crucial roster and financial decisions in just a few short days—Winston will be in demand.

The good news for the Redskins is that, of the eight right tackles that ranked better than Winston last season, four of them are free agents this offseason, including Smith (No. 1), Cherilus (No. 2), Vollmer (No. 4) and Loadholt (No. eight)*.

As a result, perhaps the market at right tackle would give the Redskins some bargaining room if they did in fact show interest in Winston.

Or maybe not.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:21 pm

DarthMonk wrote:How about Vince Young for some camp fodder?

apart from the fact that Vince Young does NOT suit the offense that we will be using this season ...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-o ... qbs-in-nfl

Vince Young has clearly demonstrated that he's NOT willing to put much effort into being a really effective QB

this kid has wasted his opportunity
he's got the talent, he just has not shown any desire - just another player that wants the rewards but is not willing to do anything for it
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in 2016
we'll win some games but it will take years to be good again

Hog

Postby Jeremy81 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:58 pm

1niksder wrote:

According to Pro Football Focus, Winston was the ninth-best right tackle overall last season behind Andre Smith, Gosder Cherilus, Anthony Davis, Sebastian Vollmer, Tyson Clabo, Orlando Franklin, Mitchell Schwartz and Phil Loadholt.

In pass protection, PFF ranked Winston at 13.2, good for seventh best at his position last season. Cherilus was ranked first among right tackles at 23.4.

As a run-blocker, Winston scored a 7.2, ranking him fourth. San Francisco’s Anthony Davis was best in the league at 22.4.

In addition to his ability, Winston is 29 (he’ll turn 30 in November) and healthy (he missed just one snap last season).

Might be costly...

Signing Winston won’t be that easy. The Redskins are up just as much against the cap as they are against time. In an effort to make way for Winston, they would be forced to make crucial roster and financial decisions in just a few short days—Winston will be in demand.

The good news for the Redskins is that, of the eight right tackles that ranked better than Winston last season, four of them are free agents this offseason, including Smith (No. 1), Cherilus (No. 2), Vollmer (No. 4) and Loadholt (No. eight)*.

As a result, perhaps the market at right tackle would give the Redskins some bargaining room if they did in fact show interest in Winston.

Or maybe not.

I think Winston should be a priority...I also really wish we had some spending money to get Andy levitre...sure up LG and RT in free agency so we can draft defense in April. But I doubt that's in the cards. However, Snyder has surprised the hell out of us before signing players I never thought we had a chance of getting

Hog

Postby Jeremy81 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:59 pm

1niksder wrote:

Might be costly...

Or maybe not.

I think Winston should be a priority...I also really wish we had some spending money to get Andy levitre...sure up LG and RT in free agency so we can draft defense in April. But I doubt that's in the cards. However, Snyder has surprised the hell out of us before signing players I never thought we had a chance of getting

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:06 pm

Jeremy81 wrote:
1niksder wrote:

Might be costly...

Or maybe not.

I think Winston should be a priority...I also really wish we had some spending money to get Andy levitre...sure up LG and RT in free agency so we can draft defense in April. But I doubt that's in the cards. However, Snyder has surprised the @#!*% out of us before signing players I never thought we had a chance of getting

My thoughts exactly. Pick Winston up so we can focus on our D in the draft.

Personally, I'd like to see us get two quality FAs for the o-line.

I know its just a rumor, but the major outlets are even starting to write about it, but if we cut Hall, this would probably make signing these kinds of FAs more realistic. Again, that could by all means make for a very successful draft as our primary focus would only NEED....and again NEED, to be on CBs & Safeties.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:32 pm

SkinsJock wrote:

apart from the fact that Vince Young does NOT suit the offense that we will be using this season ...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-o ... qbs-in-nfl

Vince Young has clearly demonstrated that he's NOT willing to put much effort into being a really effective QB

this kid has wasted his opportunity
he's got the talent, he just has not shown any desire - just another player that wants the rewards but is not willing to do anything for it

I agree with the rest but how so with regards to the highlighted part? Seems perfect to me in terms of skill set.

Also, I remind you I am not lobbying for him. I've learned why radio hosts make disclaimers like this ad nauseam.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby ACW » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:23 am

GOD I hate John Mara right now.
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:44 am

Mara -- the guy who said we broke the collusion deal that didn't exist...

Can NOT figure out how they won both sides of that argument...un-freaking-believable

|||||||

Re: Free Agent Thread

Postby UK Skins Fan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:08 am

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:Are there any serious talks going on right now with any potentially game changing free agents?

I stopped seeing any articles about Jairus Byrd; he's on my wishlist.

Thoughts?

To answer the original question - NO. Obviously, there are no serious talks ongoing with prospective free agents, as that isn't allowed yet. It's against the CBA, and god knows we'd never do anything to violate the CBA. The only time we break the rules is when there aren't any to break.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:12 am

DarthMonk wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:

I agree with the rest but how so with regards to the highlighted part? Seems perfect to me in terms of skill set.

Also, I remind you I am not lobbying for him. I've learned why radio hosts make disclaimers like this ad nauseam.

no worries - Vince is a running QB but he does not have the 'smarts' to run the hybrid offense we will be using this season PLUS no great desire to 'fit'

this offense is going to be a little bit different than what we saw last season

we're going to have a faster QB and I believe he's going to put up some incredible passing yards this year because the defenses will be looking for what they saw out of our offense last season and Mike & Kyle are going to come up with a new offense that has the threat of using RG3's speed but ....

I'm looking forward to this - nobody has ever seen a QB that has the arm, the smarts AND the speed that RG3 has
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in 2016

08 Champ

Re: Free Agent Thread

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:18 am

UK Skins Fan wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:Are there any serious talks going on right now with any potentially game changing free agents?Thoughts?

To answer the original question - NO. Obviously, there are no serious talks ongoing with prospective free agents, as that isn't allowed yet. It's against the CBA, and god knows we'd never do anything to violate the CBA. The only time we break the rules is when there aren't any to break.

:lol: - thanks, that's not bad for a pom :lol:

Hog

Postby Jeremy81 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:37 pm

man, chris gamble released...adrian wilson released. it's frusterating to know we won't be a big part of free agency. there are some quality DBs and OL to sign. if we had the funds

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:43 pm

Jeremy - I don't think the 'funds' is going to be an issue - this FO and the people they have will add the free agents they think best suit what we need

PLUS

they will find a way to be able to afford that

this franchise will find a way to be better than we were last season and that was good enough to win the NFC East :D

Return to General Manager's Office