Skins may eye Eric Winston again

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
FanFromAnnapolis

Skins may eye Eric Winston again

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:31 pm

I remember we wanted this guy last year. Getting cut by KC after one season seems harsh, though. (Anyone follow him last year?)

I wonder if he'd make a good fit here.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... ee-agency/

Will the Redskins target Eric Winston in free agency?

Right tackle Eric Winston became a possible free agent target for the Redskins when he was released Wednesday by the Kansas City Chiefs.

Winston started every game at right tackle last season with the Chiefs after signing as a free agent during the offseason. He formerly played for the Houston Texans under offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, now the Redskins’ offensive coordinator.

It was not immediately clear Thursday whether the Redskins have targeted Winston, who can sign with a team immediately because he was released. One person close to the situation said it was too soon to tell.

The Redskins were interested in Winston last offseason, when he signed with the Chiefs, the first team to set up a visit with him. Kansas City worked out a deal with him before he departed.

There was speculation last year that the Redskins’ pursuit of Winston was greatly hindered by the two-year, $36 million salary cap reduction imposed on them by the league just before free agency began last year.

A person with knowledge of the situation said that a number of teams had expressed interest in Winston late Wednesday night and early Thursday. It was expected that the tackle would soon begin visiting teams. The Philadelphia Daily News reported that the Eagles and Texans were two of the first teams to reach out to Winston’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus.

The Redskins’ starter at right tackle this past season, Tyler Polumbus, is eligible for unrestricted free agency Tuesday. He and other potential free agents can begin negotiating with teams other than their own Saturday, but cannot sign contracts before 4 p.m. Tuesday.

The Redskins first must deal with their salary cap issues. They’re an estimated $3 million above the cap and must be in compliance Tuesday.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:33 pm

A good bit of analysis on Winston with screen shots from plays here: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/word-m ... -interview
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

piggie

Postby fetus » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:00 pm

God I hope we can clear some space for this guy.... O-line would be beastly with him.... of course re-sign FD83 as well, if we came out of FA with just FD and Winston I would be happy
RGIII and the terrible D

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:48 pm

fetus wrote:God I hope we can clear some space for this guy.... O-line would be beastly with him.... of course re-sign FD83 as well, if we came out of FA with just FD and Winston I would be happy

I give up. Who is FD83?

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:59 pm

Fred Davis, of course!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Re: Skins may eye Eric Winston again

Postby 1niksder » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:21 am

Irn-Bru wrote:I remember we wanted this guy last year. Getting cut by KC after one season seems harsh, though. (Anyone follow him last year?)

Winston has plenty of experience the zone-blocking scheme but the Chiefs ran a power-based blocking scheme. He just didn't fit...

Also consider the Chiefs fired their GM (and his top front office people) along with the coaching staff, so maybe they want somebody in the draft or a guy that fits their scheme Winston got his payday last year based on his play in the ZBS for the Houston Texans.

If there is a free agent RT that would be a better fit than Winston hitting the market next week I'd surprised
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

FanFromAnnapolis

Re: Skins may eye Eric Winston again

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:15 am

1niksder wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:I remember we wanted this guy last year. Getting cut by KC after one season seems harsh, though. (Anyone follow him last year?)

Winston has plenty of experience the zone-blocking scheme but the Chiefs ran a power-based blocking scheme. He just didn't fit...

Also consider the Chiefs fired their GM (and his top front office people) along with the coaching staff, so maybe they want somebody in the draft or a guy that fits their scheme Winston got his payday last year based on his play in the ZBS for the Houston Texans.

If there is a free agent RT that would be a better fit than Winston hitting the market next week I'd surprised

That's making me =P~

And it's a pretty deep FA group for RTs. In some seasons a guy like Winston would be the best on the market. Seems like the planets have aligned, so to speak. Please, oh please let this happen.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:32 am

I"m curious to see how this plays out.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:00 am

Would be a great fit for us, but I expect the cap situation to destroy any notion of signing him.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:59 am

Doesn't look like it's going to happen. Skins have Trent and rumors floating around that we're going to sign Tony Pashos. We also can't afford this guy at all because of the $18m cap hit.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:21 pm

frankcal20 wrote:Doesn't look like it's going to happen. Skins have Trent and rumors floating around that we're going to sign Tony Pashos.

Trent Williams plays a different position and Pashos is a backup and/or insurance in case Polumbus leaves. If he's not fully healed he might even be camp fodder. Nothing there points to us skipping over Winston.

We also can't afford this guy at all because of the $18m cap hit.

We will make room if our FO wants him. His asking price is going to be lower than it was last year, plus he's not regarded as the top tackle in this group of FAs. So price won't be an issue.

But can we fit him in with the cap penalty? I think so. Cutting Hall is all we'd have to do, for example, but obviously they'll think of a more creative way to do it should this become a reality.

If the Skins want him, and if he wants to come here, I think it's going to happen.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:12 pm

^^ to add to this ... as far as this year's free agents are concerned ...

I hope that we make sure we keep the players we have and then only add the guys we think will be a good fit here

I agree that this FO will find a way to be able to add anyone they really want - I just hope we prioritize with our own players first

I'm also glad that we have guys in charge now that are not likely to go out on a limb anymore

we do have some issues but we're also not in bad shape at all, when you consider it :wink:
Robert Griffin will become a really good QB he's talented and smart

hopefully Kirk Cousins can make things happen till RG3 is ready to play again

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:26 pm

SkinsJock wrote:^^ to add to this ... as far as this year's free agents are concerned ...

I hope that we make sure we keep the players we have and then only add the guys we think will be a good fit here

I agree that this FO will find a way to be able to add anyone they really want - I just hope we prioritize with our own players first

I'm also glad that we have guys in charge now that are not likely to go out on a limb anymore

we do have some issues but we're also not in bad shape at all, when you consider it :wink:

Agreed. Have faith guys. Things have gotten SIGNIFICANTLY brighter for us. Key players recovering ahead of schedule, quality depth, cap situation is nearly fixed even without the possible legal action, FAs that are reasonably affordable are going to become available that fit our scheme, and we have a draft completely SATURATED with talent in the areas we need.

Besides RG3 getting hurt last year (even though he's doing exceptionally well in recovery), we're kind of in an ideal situation. Funny thing is, all this "traded to much for RG3" talk is proving false...we don't need 1st round picks to still get the talent we need to make our defense terrifying.

If we're not deep in the playoffs this year, then next year worst case I think its very reasonable to have the hope we're taking it all by force.

HTTR!! HERE WE COME BITCHES!!!!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:45 pm

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:^^ to add to this ... as far as this year's free agents are concerned ...

Agreed. Have faith guys. Things have gotten SIGNIFICANTLY brighter for us. Key players recovering ahead of schedule, quality depth, cap situation is nearly fixed even without the possible legal action, FAs that are reasonably affordable are going to become available that fit our scheme, and we have a draft completely SATURATED with talent in the areas we need.

Besides RG3 getting hurt last year (even though he's doing exceptionally well in recovery), we're kind of in an ideal situation. Funny thing is, all this "traded to much for RG3" talk is proving false...we don't need 1st round picks to still get the talent we need to make our defense terrifying.

If we're not deep in the playoffs this year, then next year worst case I think its very reasonable to have the hope we're taking it all by force.

HTTR!! HERE WE COME BITCHES!!!!

HAIL ya doode! Sounds good on paper, I'm always overly optimistic, but I'm excited more so then last year. RGiii goin beast mode... The D getting any better is just exciting.. love the sn by the way... One of my passwords at work is HTTRG310
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:14 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:

HTTR!! HERE WE COME @#!*% !!!!

HAIL ya doode! Sounds good on paper, I'm always overly optimistic, but I'm excited more so then last year. RGiii goin beast mode... The D getting any better is just exciting.. love the sn by the way... One of my passwords at work is HTTRG310

Thanks brother. Always loved your avatar :)

I think its going to be a good year. The anticipation of everything is killing me though. Longest offseason of my life!!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football