Free Agent Thread

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
Hog

Re: Free Agent Thread

Postby Jeremy81 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:59 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:Are there any serious talks going on right now with any potentially game changing free agents?

I stopped seeing any articles about Jairus Byrd; he's on my wishlist.

Thoughts?

To answer the original question - NO. Obviously, there are no serious talks ongoing with prospective free agents, as that isn't allowed yet. It's against the CBA, and god knows we'd never do anything to violate the CBA. The only time we break the rules is when there aren't any to break.

free agent signings can't start til tues. but starting this year, there can be talks with unrestricted free agents (or their agents rather) starting saturday. I kind of like the idea of that because every year there's one or two stories of teams accusing other teams of tampering. I hope this fixes that...who knows

p.s. jairus byrd was franchised

|||||||

Re: Free Agent Thread

Postby UK Skins Fan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:11 pm

Jeremy81 wrote:
UK Skins Fan wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:Are there any serious talks going on right now with any potentially game changing free agents?

I stopped seeing any articles about Jairus Byrd; he's on my wishlist.

Thoughts?

To answer the original question - NO. Obviously, there are no serious talks ongoing with prospective free agents, as that isn't allowed yet. It's against the CBA, and god knows we'd never do anything to violate the CBA. The only time we break the rules is when there aren't any to break.

free agent signings can't start til tues. but starting this year, there can be talks with unrestricted free agents (or their agents rather) starting saturday. I kind of like the idea of that because every year there's one or two stories of teams accusing other teams of tampering. I hope this fixes that...who knows

p.s. jairus byrd was franchised

I knew about the legal "tampering" period, and it seems sensible. Trying to stop agents and management from negotiating before the start of free agency was just rowing against an overwhelming tide.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog

Postby Jeremy81 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:24 pm

aaron ross released....DBs are stacking up! could be a bad sign for D Hall

piggie

Postby fetus » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:02 pm

This is all depending on if we cut d hall and get a little more cap space after that bit... If we have the money, there was one receiver who ate us up this year and was a big reason for our first lose. Danny Amendola killed us against the rams, and with Tana getting old and his cap hit we could probably cut Tana and hall and use that money to make a move on amendola, I know we have much bigger needs than wr, but what do you guys think of it?
RGIII and the terrible D

Postby skinsfan#33 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:51 am

fetus wrote:This is all depending on if we cut d hall and get a little more cap space after that bit... If we have the money, there was one receiver who ate us up this year and was a big reason for our first lose. Danny Amendola killed us against the rams, and with Tana getting old and his cap hit we could probably cut Tana and hall and use that money to make a move on amendola, I know we have much bigger needs than wr, but what do you guys think of it?

Amendola is hurt often. It doesn't matter if he would be a perfect fit and I agree he would, but we just have too little cap room to spend it on an injury prone WR.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:33 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:
fetus wrote:This is all depending on if we cut d hall and get a little more cap space after that bit... If we have the money, there was one receiver who ate us up this year and was a big reason for our first lose. Danny Amendola killed us against the rams, and with Tana getting old and his cap hit we could probably cut Tana and hall and use that money to make a move on amendola, I know we have much bigger needs than wr, but what do you guys think of it?

Amendola is hurt often. It doesn't matter if he would be a perfect fit and I agree he would, but we just have too little cap room to spend it on an injury prone WR.

Julian Edelman would be a better option considering the cap, then again he'd cost about a third of what they would save cutting Moss, whom he'd spilt playing time with. He's only hitting the market because he wants more PT so he won't break the bank with his asking price
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:01 am

1niksder wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:

Julian Edelman would be a better option considering the cap, then again he'd cost about a third of what they would save cutting Moss, whom he'd spilt playing time with. He's only hitting the market because he wants more PT so he won't break the bank with his asking price

How would he and Moss split timt if they cut Santana?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:32 am

Deadskins wrote:
1niksder wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:

How would he and Moss split timt if they cut Santana?

I'm just saying... I don't think his asking price would require Moss to be cut, but they both play the slot and IF Moss stays on the roster up to training camp Edelman might make him expendable. If they plan on releasing Moss prior to FA then they can "sign three" Edrlmans based on Edelman's market value and Moss' cap savings. I wouldn't outright cut Moss withput knowing his replacement was on the roster.

Last season Moss showed signs that he can do things many here said he couldn't do anymore, more importantly he became a security blanket for RGIII(to this day I say that pass that Paulsen caught after RGIII made the Gints pass rushers look silly was only thrown because Bob saw Tana.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

piggie

Postby fetus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:26 am

I did not know that Edleman was a FA, well then I would def spend less money on Edleman and forget about Amendola.

If we could keep Edleman and Tana on the roster together that would be great, let him learn from Moss for the 2 years that Moss could possibly have left.

My whole cutting Moss theory is just that, i don't want Santana to go but was just saying this because of his age. He did show that he still has what it takes to be an effective slot receiver, this past season
RGIII and the terrible D

Postby 1niksder » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:58 am

fetus wrote:I did not know that Edleman was a FA, well then I would def spend less money on Edleman and forget about Amendola.

If we could keep Edleman and Tana on the roster together that would be great, let him learn from Moss for the 2 years that Moss could possibly have left.

My whole cutting Moss theory is just that, i don't want Santana to go but was just saying this because of his age. He did show that he still has what it takes to be an effective slot receiver, this past season

?He had a QB last year, over the years when you named "weapons" on the Redskins roster... if you named Moss I bet there wasn't a QB in the group.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:02 pm

1niksder wrote: ... I don't think his (Edelman) asking price would require Moss to be cut, but they both play the slot and IF Moss stays on the roster up to training camp Edelman might make him expendable. If they plan on releasing Moss prior to FA then they can "sign three" Edrlmans based on Edelman's market value and Moss' cap savings.
I wouldn't outright cut Moss withput knowing his replacement was on the roster.

Last season Moss showed signs that he can do things many here said he couldn't do anymore, more importantly he became a security blanket for RGIII (to this day I say that pass that Paulsen caught after RGIII made the Gints pass rushers look silly was only thrown because Bob saw Tana.

IF we did bring in Edelman - I would not mind having both he and Santana on the roster - unlikely given the cost ... but ... :lol:
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

piggie

Postby fetus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:48 pm

1niksder wrote:
fetus wrote:I did not know that Edleman was a FA, well then I would def spend less money on Edleman and forget about Amendola.

?He had a QB last year, over the years when you named "weapons" on the Redskins roster... if you named Moss I bet there wasn't a QB in the group.

I'm not grasping what you are trying to tell me here....
RGIII and the terrible D

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:19 pm

Though we've seen how reliable "sources with knowledge of the situation" are, but there's been a lot of talk about us not re-signing Santana Moss.

I certainly hope this is just another baseless rumor...I think that could destroy us. No, I don't think he's the best WR on the team; he's just extremely reliable and is still getting the job done.

A bit worried about this... :?

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:49 am

:shock: speculating about how good or bad things are going to be is part of the 'process' and especially at this time of year

it really means very little - it's just a part of the NFL - enjoy it

things are NEVER as bad OR as good as most 'experts' predict

this is a team game and adding a player or losing a player is NOT making or breaking a franchise's potential to make the playoffs

some teams have major overhauls to go through and it is going to take time before they are playoff contenders

we have some issues but we're going to be in the mix to win the NFC East - no matter who is playing ...

we have RG3 :D

he makes coaches look great

he makes players look incredibly talented

and he can also attract players & coaches from other teams

everybody wants to be a part of the franchise that has a great QB
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:54 am

SkinsJock wrote:we have RG3 :D

he makes coaches look great

he makes players look incredibly talented

and he can also attract players & coaches from other teams

everybody wants to be a part of the franchise that has a great QB

The kid is amazing but let's not go overboard. There are plenty of coaches that could have made him look terrible. And his fellow players also made him look good and bailed him out at times too. It's definitely a two-way street.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Return to General Manager's Office