D. Hall to be cut...........???

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:31 pm

Fans don't see it but Adam Carriker was a HUGE loss for us last year. In 2011 Season, he almost made it to the ProBowl with his number of QB pressures alone. He had top 10 TFL and was just a stout defensive linemen. No one matched him last year and with Orakpo getting hurt, that killed Kerrigan's numbers as well.

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:30 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
mastdark81 wrote:Would be better to hold off and try to restructure instead of cutting him at the beginning of free agency...that would increase our leverage of resigning him at a lower price. I think if they cut him at the start of free agency it is an indication that then hes gone for good and they never had him in their plans.

Honestly I think that's the case. When you look at the turnover Shanahan has overseen and the kind of players he has let go, Hall sticks out a bit as someone you'd expect would have been gone by now. I think we just weren't able to acquire the right talent to replace him, which is why he's managed to stay on the team this long. We're still anemic in our secondary, but we've also run out of time to simply make do with Hall.

It'll be interesting to see what we can do with the draft an free agency, but I suspect we are going to struggle with this unit next year.

Nah come on buddy can't be that bad. Just think of all the secondary talent saturation in the draft. I think we'll be just fine.

Hall was on and off so I don't really think replacing him will be a terribly difficult thing to do.

Just think of the improvement we saw last year with a bunch of 2nd rate backups. We'll be more than fine brother.

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:39 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I do agree that we need a better secondary and that we need to add some players defensively ..

I just don't think that all of our pass defense issues are due to the players we had in the secondary

IMO a big part of the problem was the amount of time the QBs had to complete passes
No secondary can hold up if the QB is under no pressure to throw the ball

we're getting some players back from injury
we need to find a way to get better play from the players we have
if the issue of getting better play from the front 7 involves getting better players then so be it
likewise with the secondary - if we cannot get better coverage AND the front 7 are consistently pressuring the QB then we need better players

I'm just saying it's not all on the secondary and ESPECIALLY when the defense is NOT applying pressure like ours was ALL last season

Hey man,

Touching on this comment and a similar you responded to me on earlier.

I still don't think the front d-line is the highest priority but you're reasoning is DEFINITELY proved correct when you look at the Skins vs Dallas final game.

As you said, we'll be getting injured players returning so we might see that D-line able to apply more pressure because of line men getting distracted by blitzing LBs.

Right now, my thinking is to "become great at something this year" as opposed to "get good at everything." In other words, I totally agree that pass rush is going to cause QBs to make some screwed up passes that will be nice little gifts for us :twisted: However, I personally would rather see some of our injured players return and build a great secondary THIS year and NEXT year, get a couple powerhouse D-linemen and maybe another: 1. great WR and 2. Another great TE or RB

We have a good handful of needs but I think our issues aren't going to be close to solved until 2014.

That said, with a strong secondary & (sorry to keep repeating myself) returning LBs etc, we'll be terrifying in 2013.

If we get lucky and magically address all these needs this year.......... :D

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:54 pm

frankcal20 wrote:Fans don't see it but Adam Carriker was a HUGE loss for us last year. In 2011 Season, he almost made it to the ProBowl with his number of QB pressures alone. He had top 10 TFL and was just a stout defensive linemen. No one matched him last year and with Orakpo getting hurt, that killed Kerrigan's numbers as well.

Is Carriker expected to return this year? A lot of these injury statuses have been very hush hush....then again, when are they not?

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:33 am

frankcal20 wrote:Fans don't see it but Adam Carriker was a HUGE loss for us last year. In 2011 Season, he almost made it to the ProBowl with his number of QB pressures alone. He had top 10 TFL and was just a stout defensive linemen. No one matched him last year and with Orakpo getting hurt, that killed Kerrigan's numbers as well.

I totally agree. He was a bigger loss than Orakpo... The fact that we lost them both in the same game was almost a death-blow. Actually, it was for the defense. It took them weeks to recover, Haz deserves all the credit for it.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:16 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:

I totally agree. He was a bigger loss than Orakpo... The fact that we lost them both in the same game was almost a death-blow. Actually, it was for the defense. It took them weeks to recover, Haz deserves all the credit for it.

Agree with this 100%. The ripple effects of the injuries (including suspensions) suffered on defense from the front line on back should have been devastating. The job that Haz did was unreal. People calling or who called for his firing should be gagging on crow.

I really believe this team is in such better shape than even our record and NFC East Championship last year would tend to suggest.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby mastdark81 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:41 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:

I'm not saying that he wasn't a huge loss for us, but not as much as Orakpo. I disagree with that. Orakpo had more of an impact in my opinion with sacks and pressures. Orakpo does tend to play lackluster in the run, something Carriker does well but our secondary lacked the speed of Orakpo getting to the QB. Carriker simply doesn't have that speed to get there as quick. Infact Kerrigans sack numbers actually increased this year right? So it wasn't like Adam was the Justin Smith of the line.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:18 pm

@MikeJonesWaPo: Redskins have released DeAngelo Hall, source says.

Rich Campbell ‏@Rich_Campbell

Saves Redskins $8M in 2013 cap space. Least surprising name of the day

Let him test the market and see if we can bring back for less or someone better for a lower price.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:40 pm

Darth, you made me throw up man.. chill wit the disgusting pics ok bro? :lol:

So I heard he was cut.. I had to come and see for myself.. I hope we can re-sign him back cheaper. Not like he's great or anything but I'm not sure we can do better RIGHT NOW.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:49 pm

mastdark81 wrote:I'm not saying that he wasn't a huge loss for us, but not as much as Orakpo. I disagree with that. Orakpo had more of an impact in my opinion with sacks and pressures. Orakpo does tend to play lackluster in the run, something Carriker does well but our secondary lacked the speed of Orakpo getting to the QB. Carriker simply doesn't have that speed to get there as quick. Infact Kerrigans sack numbers actually increased this year right? So it wasn't like Adam was the Justin Smith of the line.

I disagree. I think Rob Jackson had a more impactful season than Orakpo ever has. Sure, Rak is a above average rusher. But he has hands with no thumbs. Jackson was a game-changer and I can't remember one game where Rak changed the outcome of a game.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:05 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
mastdark81 wrote:I'm not saying that he wasn't a huge loss for us, but not as much as Orakpo. I disagree with that. Orakpo had more of an impact in my opinion with sacks and pressures. Orakpo does tend to play lackluster in the run, something Carriker does well but our secondary lacked the speed of Orakpo getting to the QB. Carriker simply doesn't have that speed to get there as quick. Infact Kerrigans sack numbers actually increased this year right? So it wasn't like Adam was the Justin Smith of the line.

I disagree. I think Rob Jackson had a more impactful season than Orakpo ever has. Sure, Rak is a above average rusher. But he has hands with no thumbs. Jackson was a game-changer and I can't remember one game where Rak changed the outcome of a game.

There have been at least two games (that I know of) in which 'rak drew holding calls that cost other teams a game... that counts. One was a Dallas game, though I cannot put a finger on dates.

Nobody gets held more than 'rak... he needs to learn to draw more attention to it, so he can get more of those calls. Orakpo is the more effective pass rusher, no doubt... but I won't have any objection to a three headed monster of Jackson, Orakpo, Kerrigan... That was the plan, anyway.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:08 pm

If you can get all 3 on the field running some version of the 3/4, that could be a beastly defensive set.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:12 pm

frankcal20 wrote:
@MikeJonesWaPo: Redskins have released DeAngelo Hall, source says.

Rich Campbell ‏@Rich_Campbell

Saves Redskins $8M in 2013 cap space. Least surprising name of the day

Let him test the market and see if we can bring back for less or someone better for a lower price.

Moss will be next... Redskins are about $1.5M following all of the week in moves and this
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:14 pm

JLC is reporting that Skins are talking to Rep's for Moss & Carriker to restructure their deals. Would basically reduce their salary to guaranteed money lowering their cap hits.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:21 pm

frankcal20 wrote:JLC is reporting that Skins are talking to Rep's for Moss & Carriker to restructure their deals. Would basically reduce their salary to guaranteed money lowering their cap hits.

These are all good moves. Carriker is not expendable. His presence on that right side is a big deal. With him and Orakpo returning, and with Jenkins a year off of knee surgery, the front 8 rotation is something to keep intact and build on.

I'm a D Hall fan, but his release makes sense as well. This draft is crucial.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football