Redskins release DeAngelo Hall

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
FanFromAnnapolis

Redskins release DeAngelo Hall

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:37 pm

Some on this board might saddened by this news, but I am not. Thanks for your help, Hall, and best of luck wherever you go next.

Now, let's see what the Shanaplan is for CB.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... gelo-hall/

The Redskins have released cornerback DeAngelo Hall, a person with knowledge said.

Due to count $8 million against the cap, Hall was expected to either be released or have his contract restructured.

Washington was $3 million over the salary cap last week because of the $18 million penalty they had to absorb this year and are expected to make more roster moves.

Hall had been willing to restructure his deal, but Washington opted instead to release him and clear $8 million off its books for 2013.

Update, 1:30 p.m.
Hall confirmed the release when reached by phone Monday afternoon. He said that Coach Mike Shanahan called him and told him that the team had hoped to keep him, but because of their situation caused by the $18 million salary cap hit they must absorb this year (the second part of a $36 million penalty leveled last year by the league for how Washington structured contracts in the uncapped 2010 season), they had to release him.

“I understand the business side of things,” Hall said. “I thanked him for the opportunity and wished them luck. Mike said he really felt bad because I had done everything they asked. Kept getting better, kept working hard, kept leading. So he really felt bad. I told him I understand the business side of things. I just wish it had happened sooner than later. But it came down the wire. But Mike did reach out to me.”
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:40 pm

Was posted in the DHall thread several hours ago:

http://www.thehogs.net/forum/viewtopic. ... c&start=15

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:40 pm

Only played up to his salary (or at least halfway towards it) down the stretch last year. Despite what he may think, he's not a leader, and is a luxury that we can't afford right now.

Thanks for your efforts #23. It's been, erm, mediocre.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:26 pm

frankcal20 wrote:Was posted in the DHall thread several hours ago:

When it's a legit news development and there's a story to go with it, it is best to have a new thread.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:27 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:

When it's a legit news development and there's a story to go with it, it is best to have a new thread.

You're the boss :D

Pacman Rules

Postby gay4pacman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:57 pm

dont be suprised if he tests the market and comes back at a reduced cost. i could see him coming back
I know this guy named Jimmy, he has a pet....POSTERNUTBAG! Thats his cats name, POSTERNUTBAG!!!

piggie

Postby fetus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:58 pm

Well can't say I am sad but I sure hope we have someone in mind to take his spot, So starters are Wilson and Griffin... Im not upset about that
RGIII and the terrible D

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:35 pm

gay4pacman wrote:dont be suprised if he tests the market and comes back at a reduced cost. i could see him coming back

I hope so.. people forget games that he shuts down the other teams number one receiver, or picks off Cutler 5 times, and only remember him getting burned over the top because the safety is out of position....
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:38 pm

fetus wrote:Well can't say I am sad but I sure hope we have someone in mind to take his spot, So starters are Wilson and Griffin... Im not upset about that

Chase Minnifield will be in the chase I think.. if his drive hasn't diminished any- he should be in top form and hungrier then most any 2nd year player
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

piglet

Postby Bee_Skins_Fan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:59 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:

Thanks for giving this it's own thread, otherwise, i wouldn't have seen it. For $8M, it is definitely worthy of a thread!

This helps explain some of the re-worked contract news from the weekend, but maybe not all of it.

I guess this also rules out a chance to get any cap space back- Bummer!

I wish him well. He does have a knack for making a big play, but his coverage skills definitely dropped off.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:08 pm

This was the right move for the team, but this does create another hole in the secondary. This draft will be crucial. I'm optimistic though. The draft is deep with corners and safeties this year.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:19 pm

The Hogster wrote:This was the right move for the team, but this does create another hole in the secondary. This draft will be crucial. I'm optimistic though. The draft is deep with corners and safeties this year.

My thoughts exactly. I'd like to see up pick up a really good RT & (in a perfect world), an upgrade for Hankerson.

Only reason why that's my wish list is because I feel that the draft is completely saturated w/ quality talent for our secondary needs.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:38 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
gay4pacman wrote:dont be suprised if he tests the market and comes back at a reduced cost. i could see him coming back

I hope so.. people forget games that he shuts down the other teams number one receiver, or picks off Cutler 5 times, and only remember him getting burned over the top because the safety is out of position....

Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:32 pm

Fixing our pass defense is one thing - cutting Hall is another

Hall was cut because of his salary - he could be back and he could be a help here

Haslett did a hell of a job with the players he had - having 2 great CBs would NOT have made any difference last season

we do need better players for our secondary but we also need for the front 7 to do a better job too
getting the players back and getting players to pressure the QB is JUST AS important to 'fixing' our secondary - IF NOT MORE :roll:
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

08 Champ

Re: Redskins release DeAngelo Hall

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:40 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:Some on this board might saddened by this news, but I am not. Thanks for your help, Hall, and best of luck wherever you go next.

Now, let's see what the Shanaplan is for CB.

I think they had to make this move

IMO the Shanaplan for fixing the secondary includes getting back the defensive players who were injured and working with Haslett to ensure we can pressure the QB without having to blitz PLUS add to the secondary

'adding to the secondary' means VERY little if we apply ZERO pressure on the QB like we saw last season

adding a great CB does NOT fix our pass defense if we cannot pressure the QB
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football