Skins "running" down Talib....???

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Skins "running" down Talib....???

Postby tribeofjudah » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:57 pm

Wow, is the Danny back in control..........hahaha

A source with knowledge of the situation tells USA Today the Redskins are going to "make a push" for free agent CB Aqib Talib.
The Redskins have one of the league's worst salary-cap situations, but a major need at cornerback after releasing DeAngelo Hall. Washington was 30th in pass defense last season. Redskins GM Bruce Allen drafted Talib in Tampa, while DBs coach Raheem Morris was his head coach. Making a long-term commitment to a player with Talib's off-the-field history would be a huge risk for a team in Washington's financial position, but prudence and patience have never been owner Dan Snyder's virtues. The more things change in Washington, the more they stay the same.
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:10 pm

Hmm. Could be a questionable move but it depends on what kind of contract this guy is able to acquire. Given his performance in New England last season, I don't think we need to worry too much about his ability to step in and play.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:20 pm

So Bruce Allen is the GM who drafted Talib. Raheem Morris coached him. But, if the Skins pursue him, its a Danny move???

dumb article
SPIT HAPPENS!!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:24 pm

IF Talib is coming here it's ONLY because of Mike's relationship with Belicheat AND Bruce (and Raheem) wanting him - NOT Dan Snyder - NO WAY

Finding 1 (OR even 2) great CBs is NOT solving our pass defensive woes
we need to put pressure on the QB MOST importantly and then we'll see a better pass defense
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:37 pm

SkinsJock wrote:IF Talib is coming here it's ONLY because of Mike's relationship with Belicheat AND Bruce (and Raheem) wanting him - NOT Dan Snyder - NO WAY

we need to put pressure on the QB MOST importantly and then we'll see a better pass defense

We'll be getting a lot better in the pass pressure arena with some key returning players...that is if they can stay healthy for a year (not trying to be pessimistic).

I know I'm a broken record here, but we'll get some good talented safeties in the draft.

If, in FA, we get what we need (or "better" than we have) for a couple o-line spots & 2 good CBs, that puts us in an incredible spot for the draft.

We could grab 2 great safeties and an additional pass rusher. Our remaining picks could possibly even become "luxury" picks.

That is IF things go according to ideals :)

Hog

Postby ACW » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:03 am

SkinsJock wrote:IF Talib is coming here it's ONLY because of Mike's relationship with Belicheat AND Bruce (and Raheem) wanting him - NOT Dan Snyder - NO WAY

A healthy Orakpo and Carriker helps with that.
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:25 am

The Hogster wrote:So Bruce Allen is the GM who drafted Talib. Raheem Morris coached him. But, if the Skins pursue him, its a Danny move???

dumb article

Don't come in here with your context clues, facts and common sense.

SkinsJock wrote:
What doest this even mean? People get jobs across the globe because of relationships all the time... It's normal. Hell, it's the easiest way to get ahead. It's all about who you know.

SkinsJock wrote:Finding 1 (OR even 2) great CBs is NOT solving our pass defensive woes

You still need a solid #1 CB. Our pass rush will be adequate with Carriker and Orakpo returning.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:What does this even mean? People get jobs across the globe because of relationships all the time... It's normal. Hell, it's the easiest way to get ahead. It's all about who you know.

only that Snyder is not 'interfering' as implied in that piece

You still need a solid #1 CB. Our pass rush will be adequate with Carriker and Orakpo returning.

we DO need a decent CB AND a safety AND the returning players WILL help - big time

the pass defense will get better, but, not ONLY because we 'improve' our secondary

I'm expecting a lot better pass defense this season because of the better play from the front 7
AND ... the better play from the secondary :lol:
Last edited by SkinsJock on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:32 am

The Hogster wrote:So Bruce Allen is the GM who drafted Talib. Raheem Morris coached him. But, if the Skins pursue him, its a Danny move???

dumb article

:lol:

Yea that's the way I got it too bro
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

SCskinsFan

Postby SCSkinsFan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:22 am

Looks like there are a lot of players coming available, Talib being one of them, that could help the Skins upgrade their roster.The question is, how will they be able to afford any of them giving their lack of cap space?
Skins fan Stuck in Panther land

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:10 am

Is it realistic to expect a corner to take a backloaded deal with the Redskins? I mean, this is why Shanahan hired Bruce Allen, to be a cap genius. Still, it seems like it's hard to imagine a guy taking less money this year for the promise of more in future years.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:13 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:Is it realistic to expect a corner to take a backloaded deal with the Redskins? I mean, this is why Shanahan hired Bruce Allen, to be a cap genius. Still, it seems like it's hard to imagine a guy taking less money this year for the promise of more in future years.

I guess it depends. If he has history with certain folks, he may trust them at their word... I doubt that our FO would pull a bait & switch, nobody would ever come here.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:20 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:Is it realistic to expect a corner to take a backloaded deal with the Redskins? I mean, this is why Shanahan hired Bruce Allen, to be a cap genius. Still, it seems like it's hard to imagine a guy taking less money this year for the promise of more in future years.

Eric Schaffer the defacto contract man... the number cruncher... the capolgist, not Bruce Allen.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:21 am

I meant to say Snyder hired him, but my fingers did the talking. Shanahan probably factored prominently into the decision making anyway.

I didn't mean to ask if a player would trust the Redskins enough to take a backloaded deal, I meant it as: "Would a player want to take some delayed gratification to join the Redskins."

Same principle applies though, Talib would have to trust the GM/coaches a lot... and really like the fit. I'm really pulling for us to sign Talib. If we have one shot at getting a top FA on the team because of our cap situation I want it to be spent on him. Wilson had a rough year, but he's still a solid #2 corner. Talib would be a big upgrade on Hall IMO and I'm pulling hard for Meriweather. I think he looked great in limited action last season and he could be a dangerous player if healthy.

The Skins are going to have to take some risks in order to build a better team this offseason, and Talib would be a terrific gamble.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:24 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:I meant to say Snyder hired him, but my fingers did the talking. Shanahan probably factored prominently into the decision making anyway.

I didn't mean to ask if a player would trust the Redskins enough to take a backloaded deal, I meant it as: "Would a player want to take some delayed gratification to join the Redskins."

Same principle applies though, Talib would have to trust the GM/coaches a lot... and really like the fit. I'm really pulling for us to sign Talib. If we have one shot at getting a top FA on the team because of our cap situation I want it to be spent on him. Wilson had a rough year, but he's still a solid #2 corner. Talib would be a big upgrade on Hall IMO and I'm pulling hard for Meriweather. I think he looked great in limited action last season and he could be a dangerous player if healthy.

The Skins are going to have to take some risks in order to build a better team this offseason, and Talib would be a terrific gamble.

If it's guaranteed, it's guaranteed... Personally, that's how I'd look at it. Unless he's living on the street, I'm sure a lighter salary intially won't bankrupt him.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football