Worst Free Agent Signings --- Never Again!!

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Worst Free Agent Signings --- Never Again!!

Postby markshark84 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:46 am

Found this article on yahoo. It's actually not that bad of a list, although 7 of our "Snyder-era" signings comprise the list of 20.

I have been skeptical of anyone Snyder has employed ever since, but am starting to believe our FO understands FA isn't the way to build a team.

IMHO, 2000-2011 were some of the darkest days in redskins history. I hope Danny has learned from his past failures. Never again!!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--worst ... 17033.html
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:52 am

Because we are no longer participating in foolishness, they have to run us through the mud by talking about an almost distant past. LOL
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:55 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Because we are no longer participating in foolishness, they have to run us through the mud by talking about an almost distant past. LOL

Not sure if that is the case or the fact FA is beginning to heat up. Yahoo.com is trying to get "hits" and with FA fresh in NFL fans minds, people would click on the article (like me).

No matter what, Danny's idioticy did this to himself.

I'm sure all of us have embarassing childhood stories that our friends or family tease us about on holidays or reunions. I see this article as being no different ---- as long as Danny doesn't continue the trend.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:56 am

They do this every year and who can blame them with free agency around the corner. Danny did this to himself and honestly, everytime we signed a guy I was always worried. Even recently. It's like "Battered Wife Syndrom."

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:03 am

I used to hope that the moves would work out

AND

loved that the Redskins seemed to 'win' so many of the free agent 'battles'

NOT ANYMORE

the last 2 years here have shown that we now have guys making decisions that we all can be pretty sure will be good moves for the franchise

we are in a good place and can look forward with confidence in the decisions that these guys are making good moves for our franchise

we don't need to look back - that is NOT productive at all :lol:
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:29 am

There's no doubt the Redskins have had more than their fair share of bad FA signings, but that guy clearly set out to write an article about the Redskins and Raiders. Boooooorrrriiinng.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

SCskinsFan

Postby SCSkinsFan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:29 am

There's no doubt that they were right about who was #1. AA at #10 could have even been higher IMHO.
Skins fan Stuck in Panther land

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:15 am

They're not picking on us. If you were making a list of the worst FA signings, the Redskins would feature prominently. We have to own that. Our favorite team typically sucks when it comes to signing free agents.

Pretty much any team that treats free agency the way we have will experience similar results. Free agency, IMO, should be used to supplement your core. Fill the gaps, not build around. That's how we're looking to use it now.

Then again, anyone remember the year we got Griffin, Washington, and Springs? While I object to using free agency to plug that many holes... that's about as good an offseason as a team can have.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:18 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:They're not picking on us. If you were making a list of the worst FA signings, the Redskins would feature prominently. We have to own that. Our favorite team typically sucks when it comes to signing free agents.

I dont think anyone thinks we don't deserve the criticism. It's just more of the same boring "journalism". How many of these articles do we get a year? LOL. However, in recent years the Skins have done well in FA and via the draft. It'll take a while for the stench to wear off but that doesn't make these articles any less boring, old and irrelevant.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:25 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
Skinsfan55 wrote:They're not picking on us. If you were making a list of the worst FA signings, the Redskins would feature prominently. We have to own that. Our favorite team typically sucks when it comes to signing free agents.

I dont think anyone thinks we don't deserve the criticism. It's just more of the same boring "journalism". How many of these articles do we get a year? LOL. However, in recent years the Skins have done well in FA and via the draft. It'll take a while for the stench to wear off but that doesn't make these articles any less boring, old and irrelevant.

It isn't journalism. Its Historical non-fiction.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:30 am

emoses14 wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:

It isn't journalism. Its Historical non-fiction.

Ok, I'll fix it for you.

It's just more of the same boring historical non-fiction. ow many of these articles do we get a year? It'll take a while for the stench to wear off but that doesn't make these historically accurate articles any less boring, old and irrelevant.

It's the off-season, they need to get their page hits up.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:14 pm

Of course we would. That's what I said in my first post.

But Bruce Smith? Please.

Actually, a Redskin who left DC for money should have made the list: Lavar Arrington got a big pay day from the Giants, as I recall, but only played a half season. Derrick Dockery is similar: he became one of the highest paid OL ever on leaving, and had a couple of mediocre years in Buffalo.

Another name that comes to mind is Shaun Alexander, who was awesome, then made the highest paid RB, only to drop off a cliff. Or speaking of RBs, Edgerrin James, who basically disappeared after leaving Indy. I'd also consider Donte Stallworth (his signings with the Browns/Patriots, that is) or Michael Vick for spots.

Maybe you get the point. All I can do is think of players I remember being FAs and check on Wikipedia, but even so I think I just found several candidates he overlooked.

As I said, this column is a snoozefest. He just looked at the Redskins and Raiders FA acquisitions and then filled out the rest of his word count with all the other high profile busts he could find. Boooooorrriing.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football