Redskins Offseason Resignings

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:18 am

It's a couple million for a guy, who at this point in his career seemed replaceable. Then again, maybe they love what he brings to the locker room.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:27 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:It's a couple million for a guy, who at this point in his career seemed replaceable. Then again, maybe they love what he brings to the locker room.

1:45

Skinsfan55 wrote:It's a couple million for a guy, who at this point in his career seemed replaceable. Then again, maybe they love what he brings to the locker room.

Many felt that he was washed up and expendable leading into the previous season... Then he led the team in TD's...

People feel that Josh Morgan is a bum, but he led the team in receptions... He also is a helluva blocker and sprung Alfred more times than I can count. After watching and re-watching last seasons games, not that I've been actively counting but I only noticed one holding penalty on him.

My point being, I think as fans our ideas of value to the team as a whole is different than the coaches. They seem more than most of us care to take the time to see.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Re: Santana Moss Restructures

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:24 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
Skinsfan55 wrote:https://twitter.com/davidelfin/status/311491195396292608

Really shocked by this one, I thought we'd save more by cutting him outright. Still, it's good to have a veteran slot guy... only 3 under cap though? Makes Talib a tough get.

Who would we replace him with that would give us the same level of production? Prolly made more sense to restructure.

Exactly. I'd be depressed all year if we just cut Moss w/out an upgrade.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:28 am

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:

Really shocked by this one, I thought we'd save more by cutting him outright. Still, it's good to have a veteran slot guy... only 3 under cap though? Makes Talib a tough get.

Who would we replace him with that would give us the same level of production? Prolly made more sense to restructure.

I think we have an "upgrade" on the roster. It's just going to take a bit more growth, maturation and experience on his end. That player is Aldrick Robinson. He's shown the flashes, it's all about consistency now. I put upgrade in quotes because while Aldrick is faster and most atheltic due to his youthfulness. He's also not mature from a savvy veteran POV and that comes with experience. Once he catches up in that regard he will be a full upgrade.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:51 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:

I think we have an "upgrade" on the roster. It's just going to take a bit more growth, maturation and experience on his end. That player is Aldrick Robinson. He's shown the flashes, it's all about consistency now. I put upgrade in quotes because while Aldrick is faster and most atheltic due to his youthfulness. He's also not mature from a savvy veteran POV and that comes with experience. Once he catches up in that regard he will be a full upgrade.

Out of all our players, he is the most confusing to me.

I agree, he's lightening fast, but am I being too harsh in saying "either he can catch or he can't"? Be thankful I'm not the coach; there'd be weekly roster changes :lol:

There's always been a lot of talk about him being our "secret weapon" but then comes the thought, "why aren't we using him more???"

Perhaps I expect things to work perfectly straight out of the box unrealistically.

Would really love to see this kid become a key WR for us. I really hope he works hard and gets to where we need him to be. At that point, you're right; we could throw a well-deserved retirement party for Moss and all his loyal years with us.

spudstr04

Postby spudstr04 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:22 pm

@AdamSchefter Redskins re-signed DL Kedric Golston to a three-year deal.
#21 = Forever in our hearts

piggie

Postby fetus » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:11 pm

5.2 million top end, guessing/hoping it is very incentive based.... 300k-ish signing bonus.....
Not sure why we give a guy 5.2/3years when he played for vet min last year.... I can't say I know of any impact he had that warrants that contract.

If I am wrong please correct me... I kinda hope that the money I read about was misinformative or sonething
RGIII and the terrible D

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:21 am

fetus wrote:5.2 million top end, guessing/hoping it is very incentive based.... 300k-ish signing bonus.....
Not sure why we give a guy 5.2/3years when he played for vet min last year.... I can't say I know of any impact he had that warrants that contract.

If I am wrong please correct me... I kinda hope that the money I read about was misinformative or sonething

I bet the deal is close to vet min this year + the $300k bonus. That would give Kedric a very cap friendly number this year and keep a guy around that is familiar with the system.

Plus, add we saw in 2011 if Kedric isn't on the FG blocking unit they just can't stop anyone from blocking kicks.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:53 am

Rich Campbell ‏@Rich_Campbell

As @Jason_OTC reported, records show Brandon Meriweather's contract is different today. Base salary is now $1.2M. It was $2.45M.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:37 pm

Nice restructuring of Meriweather, especially if Shanny is staying true to his determination not to back load money in future years. A little over $1 million seems like the right price to pay for his services, especially with the risk involved.

Pending the full details, this seems like a really nice move on the part of the Skins. 1nik will correct me if I'm wrong, I am sure.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

cappster

Postby Cappster » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:48 pm

I gotta say that I am feeling pretty good about what our FO is doing considering the circumstances of the situation. This may be just me, but this FA class seems a little bit lackluster so maybe it's a cursed blessing that we have such little cap space. Does anyone know the guys who are scheduled to be FA's next year around the league? If we can draft fairly well and get RGIII back healthy early in the season, I think we will be pretty competitive if not challenge for the NFC East again.
Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280x, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:51 pm

there's 2 things that we do not need to be worried about ...

RG3 will be even better than he was when he was not dinged up last season

This FO will CONTINUE to find really good players (in the draft and elsewhere) that fit into what this franchise needs
We are lucky to have Cousins - Griffin will become the better QB as he learns to use the pocket & read defenses

Until then, I hope that Cousins takes full advantage of this opportunity

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:18 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
fetus wrote:5.2 million top end, guessing/hoping it is very incentive based.... 300k-ish signing bonus.....

I bet the deal is close to vet min this year + the $300k bonus. That would give Kedric a very cap friendly number this year and keep a guy around that is familiar with the system.

Plus, add we saw in 2011 if Kedric isn't on the FG blocking unit they just can't stop anyone from blocking kicks.

Throw in a few UTBE Incentives and a yearly roster bonus and I'll bet you're right.

Moss, Carriker, and Merriweather all had some of their base salaries converted to the same type of incentives.

Don't want to go off topic but don't want to start a new thread either.

A lot of the money in Paulsen, Young, and Lichtensteiger's contracts are tied to UTBE Incentives.

UTBE Incentives = Unlikely To Be Earned Incentives, These are performance or playing time targets that the player must hit in order to get the incentive. They're unlikely to be earned simply because they're based on the player's past performance, Moss, Carriker, and Merriweather weren't full time starters for different reasons... Here's the kicker :twisted:

The UTBE Incentives don't count in this year's salary cap.... If the players meet the goals of the incentives the cap hit will be on the 2014 cap :shock:

There are also LTBE Incentives which count in the current year but if they're not hit, the cap space is returned to the team the following year... The Skins got back $816,000 in cap space for 2013 from LTBE Incentives that counted against the cap in 2012.

Not only are they converting base salary into incentives and gaining cap space, they're not adding years to these contracts, or pushing money into the future.

It's a weird way to do business, because the player has to perform to get paid, it's not a pay cut if the player performs and it's the first type of deal that comes out of a player's agents mouth. This is basically the players betting on themselves on a team that want to be on. Each one of these guys could have gotten their base pay or close to it (up front) on the open market, but gave their agents marching orders....

This team hasn't had players that would do that in a long time. Can't think of any that would have did it for Vinny and the teams he ran.

Update... Alexander, DHall, and Fred Davis are reported to be signing somewhere else and all these team are interested in them :roll: Who have they visited :?: granted the CB market hasn't really opened yeat but LBs and TEs are moving everywhere.

If the Redskins can bring back two, if not all three of guys I'd have to call it a successful Start to free agency.

The front office is doing what it can to retain it's own players and the players want to stay.

WOW and

HTTR
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:46 pm

^^ you continue to impress - well done :up:

It does sound like Alexander is going to the Cards ...

Hall may be back and Fred Davis will be back if Mike & Kyle really, really want him

this franchise is in a good place and just keeps getting better

these guys have done an outstanding job
We are lucky to have Cousins - Griffin will become the better QB as he learns to use the pocket & read defenses

Until then, I hope that Cousins takes full advantage of this opportunity

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:08 pm

Nice post, 1nik.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football