The Situation so Far: Offense

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
+++++++++

The Situation so Far: Offense

Postby Skinsfan55 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:54 am

QB- Robert Griffin III
RB- Alfred Morris
FB- Darrell Young (In 2 WR or no TE sets)

WR- Pierre Garcon
WR- Josh Morgan
WR- Santana Moss (Slot)

TE-

LT- Trent Williams
LG- Kory Lichtensteiger
C- Will Montgomery
RG- Chris Chester
RT- Jeremy Trueblood (signed 3/14)

-----

QB- Kirk Cousins

RB- Evan Royster
RB- Roy Helu Jr.

TE- Logan Paulsen

WR- Leonard Hankerson
WR- Aldrick Robinson

LT- Maurice Hurt
LG/C- Josh LeRiebus
RG/C- Adam Gettis
RT- Tony Pashos (signed 3/11)

-----

With less than a million in cap space. That's what we have. Decent lineup on offense. Great depth at QB and on the OL (except at RT obviously.) Ideally the Skins would love to have some more room to lock up Davis and shore up the WR corps but I don't see it happening. It appears to me, that the team may have to rely on signing some guys at the veterans minimum once the initial feeding frenzy cools down. This could be a good enough offense to take us to the playoffs again, and we may have to rely on some rookies to make big contributions.
Last edited by Skinsfan55 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:24 pm

Thanks to Mara, Paulsen might end up starting for us. Not a terrible stop gap for a year or two — certainly good enough not to hold us back from the playoffs.

It's so nice to see quality depth on this team. What a difference from just 2 years ago.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:39 pm

You forgot Niles Paul at TE. I keep hearing comparisons of him to Shannon Sharpe. Granted, he has to learn to catch the ball first, but he could go somewhere once he does.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:08 pm

Deadskins wrote:You forgot Niles Paul at TE. I keep hearing comparisons of him to Shannon Sharpe. Granted, he has to learn to catch the ball first, but he could go somewhere once he does.

Okay, I forgot to mention Paul... but c'mon. Comparisons to Shannon Sharpe? He was buried on the depth chart last season. That comparison reminds me of legendary MLB manager Sparky Anderson. He used to hype up prospects to ridiculous heights.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:58 pm

LeRibeus & Compton...Why aren't these guys considered starters quite yet?

Especially LeRibeus...dude looked great on the field. Couldn't they just have either of them at RT? From what I've been hearing they move guys around on the line at practice to help them get better at all o-line positions.

piglet

Postby Bee_Skins_Fan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:02 pm

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:LeRibeus & Compton...Why aren't these guys considered starters quite yet?

Especially LeRibeus...dude looked great on the field. Couldn't they just have either of them at RT? From what I've been hearing they move guys around on the line at practice to help them get better at all o-line positions.

It really surpised me that in a tight cap year, that they signed Kory with LeRibeus looking darn good last year.

Still not sure the coaches are sold on Compton. As bad as Polumbus looked in pass protection, it surprised me that Compton didn't get any reps in real action. He's still young tho, so there is hope!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:51 pm

Bee_Skins_Fan wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:LeRibeus & Compton...Why aren't these guys considered starters quite yet?

It really surpised me that in a tight cap year, that they signed Kory with LeRibeus looking darn good last year.

Still not sure the coaches are sold on Compton. As bad as Polumbus looked in pass protection, it surprised me that Compton didn't get any reps in real action. He's still young tho, so there is hope!

I hear ya...patience isn't my strong suit that's for sure.

There's been a lot of talk about Ald Rob & Compt being development projects...just wish I knew how long its going to take :)

DarthMonk

Re: The Situation so Far: Offense

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:29 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:QB- Robert Griffin III
RB- Alfred Morris

WR- Pierre Garcon
WR- Josh Morgan
WR- Santana Moss (Slot)

TE-

LT- Trent Williams
LG- Kory Lichtensteiger
C- Will Montgomery
RG- Chris Chester
RT-

-----

QB- Kirk Cousins

RB- Evan Royster
RB- Roy Helu Jr.

TE- Logan Paulsen

WR- Leonard Hankerson
WR- Aldrick Robinson

LT- Maurice Hurt
LG/C- Josh LeRiebus
RG/C- Adam Gettis

I like what you've done.

When I think of the O right now I think of QB as being Kirk Cousins.

At TE Logan Paulsen is starter quality - especially on a team that likes to run the ball. He also is tall, not slow, and seems to have excellent hands. He has not missed a game in 2 years, averages 12 yards a catch, and has never fumbled. Also, at TE, the comparison of Niles Paul (6-1, 224) to Shannon Sharpe (6-2, 228), is a stretch but not silly. Shanny is the first one I heard make the comparison. If Paul can show better hands, and he was better late last year than early, he can be an excellent receiving threat.

I suppose Pashos is our RT and he is serviceable. Lichtensteiger is a natural center making him a Raleigh MacKenzie-esque value.

This team is pretty darn young and ... fast - even with the Captain at the helm. With Griff healthy and with sets using Paul and Helu we are 'Show on Turf" fast - a whole mess of guys at 4.5 or better.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:04 pm

I think we going to see a different offense than we saw last season

I think that the offense is again going to be tailored to take advantage of Griffin's speed and his arm and even more importantly, his head

RG3 has had a year and the last 4 games he was not at the same level we're going to see this season

RG3 will always have the ability to run but the offense is going to be changed to take advantage of his incredible touch with the passing game and his head in how best to use the other players on the field

This is going to be VERY exciting and will NOT involve plays that exposed him like we saw last season

RG3 is going to be a faster runner this season but that speed will be used a lot more carefully

I am expecting him to be ready for opening day despite a huge amount of BS out of our staff in trying to make out like he's not ready, blah, blah, blah
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.”

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:33 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:You forgot Niles Paul at TE. I keep hearing comparisons of him to Shannon Sharpe. Granted, he has to learn to catch the ball first, but he could go somewhere once he does.

Okay, I forgot to mention Paul... but c'mon. Comparisons to Shannon Sharpe? He was buried on the depth chart last season. That comparison reminds me of legendary MLB manager Sparky Anderson. He used to hype up prospects to ridiculous heights.

From Jake's interview with Doc Walker:

JR: As a tight end, what do you think about Niles Paul’s transition to tight end from receiver?

DW: It’s a slow one but steady. To do it in the pros is very difficult. I got a chance to do it in college. So I had two years. He’s going to be good at it. And I just foresee him – and it’s not fair – but I think Shannon Sharpe every time I see him. And that’s not fair because Shannon was phenomenal. But he did it in this offense. And I think this kid has similar skills. Now he’s going to have to prove that he can do [it]. Because Shannon had to make the conversion, too, with Mike. And I think Mike saw Shannon in [Niles].

And that's not the only time I've heard it said. But I trust Doc's opinion.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Re: The Situation so Far: Offense

Postby yupchagee » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:46 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:QB- Robert Griffin III
RB- Alfred Morris

WR- Pierre Garcon
WR- Josh Morgan
WR- Santana Moss (Slot)

TE-

LT- Trent Williams
LG- Kory Lichtensteiger
C- Will Montgomery
RG- Chris Chester
RT-

-----

QB- Kirk Cousins

RB- Evan Royster
RB- Roy Helu Jr.

TE- Logan Paulsen

WR- Leonard Hankerson
WR- Aldrick Robinson

LT- Maurice Hurt
LG/C- Josh LeRiebus
RG/C- Adam Gettis

-----

With less than a million in cap space. That's what we have. Decent lineup on offense. Great depth at QB and on the OL (except at RT obviously.) Ideally the Skins would love to have some more room to lock up Davis and shore up the WR corps but I don't see it happening. It appears to me, that the team may have to rely on signing some guys at the veterans minimum once the initial feeding frenzy cools down. This could be a good enough offense to take us to the playoffs again, and we may have to rely on some rookies to make big contributions.

I can see Hurt & Compton competing for RT.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:50 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:Thanks to Mara, Paulsen might end up starting for us. Not a terrible stop gap for a year or two — certainly good enough not to hold us back from the playoffs.

It's so nice to see quality depth on this team. What a difference from just 2 years ago.

Disagree. Not having a better right tackle or Davis at TE, coupled with no improvement in pass defense, is exactly the formula for not making the playoffs. To win the division last year took both record setting heroics and luck, two things we might be short of this year.

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:51 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:Thanks to Mara, Paulsen might end up starting for us. Not a terrible stop gap for a year or two — certainly good enough not to hold us back from the playoffs.

Disagree. Not having a better right tackle or Davis at TE, coupled with no improvement in pass defense, is exactly the formula for not making the playoffs. To win the division last year took both record setting heroics and luck, two things we might be short of this year.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:24 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:

You're taking the comment way out of context. He's not saying that the kid is Shannon, or will ever be Shannon. He's saying that with his body type and natural abilities, he has the potential to be a similar player if he works at it and reaches his potential.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Postby skinsfan#33 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:37 am

I hope the starting RT is either not on the team yet or it is a commission between MoHurt, Compton, TB, or Pashos. With my preference being MoHurt. My perfect preference (assuming we don't sign another FA RT (boy that looks funny now that I typed it) would be to draft Kyle Long or Terron Armstead.

Frankly I really don't want either of our FA RTs starting and dining up the place.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football