The Situation so Far: Defense

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:39 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
frankcal20 wrote:Carriker should start over Jenkins at DE

Yes, but it all depends on how effective he is post-injury.

... And how JJ does with a season under his belt. He was getting to beast mode towards the end of the season, and was a total monster vs the run.. nearly every tackle for a loss he was involved in it seemed. Don't get me wrong I love Carriker- but JJ was nearly getting back to where he was before HIS injury. His exp last year and more development might.make it hard for Adam to just walk in as the starter. I see heavy rotation regardless.

-Chris Neild? should return as far as I know. He plays hard and is in the mix for the rotation if he, too, can get healthy.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:04 pm

My bad, Meriweather played FS in his last season with the Pats. He seems like more of a centerfield type to me, but if he plays either one, and he's more likely to be a SS then good. His flexibility helps us.

As far as Jackson goes, he's a big question mark. He MAY be re-instated in August. That would mean he misses a huge portion of offseason work right? Kinda hard to count on him to start. We could theoretically use Doughty of Gomes but, it'd be nice to see an upgrade.

Jackson can't be counted on to contribute in 2013. Any production would be a huge gift.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

piglet

Postby Bee_Skins_Fan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:59 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
Cappster wrote:I concur, Hogster. We aren't looking bad at all going into next season. Could it be better? Absolutely. Are we looking like we are going to be competitive next year? I say soooooooo.

I think the best way we can improve this defense is by adding depth. Depth in finding Londons replacement. Depth at NT. Depth at SAFETY! Injuries are gonna happen, but it's all about how you can absorb the blow. We definitely got knocked to the mat last year, but the defense got back up.

I think our NT depth is solid....Baker & Neild. I guess Baker could be signed away from us, but I haven't heard anything like that going on yet.

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:10 pm

Cappster wrote:
The Hogster wrote:Brandon Merriweather is a Strong Safety. Tanard Jackson is a Free Safety. Both are expected back. In fact, Brandon Merriweather just restructured his deal today, saving the Redskins close to $1M under the salary cap.

The holes that we have in the secondary are at starting corner, and DEPTH at safety and corner. The front line guys got injured last year, exposing our lack of depth. The goal is to bring in guys what can be developed into starters or who can immediately play in spots at a higher level than Madieu Williams, Dejon Gomes & Reed Doughty.

A returning pass rush helps as well and Carriker and Orakpo will both be back.

This is not a swiss cheese job like some people make it out to be. It's just a glaring weakness since we lost both starting safeties last year, and our backups were a HUGE dropoff. The first NYG game alone exposed that. With just average safety play, we would have been an 11 win team. With HORRID safety play we were a 10 win team. We're looking for guys who can help us win. Not Jesus in Cleats.

I concur, Hogster. We aren't looking bad at all going into next season. Could it be better? Absolutely. Are we looking like we are going to be competitive next year? I say soooooooo.

Frankly, we look better than we did last year and this is before the draft even. As I mentioned in another post, we just need a couple starters, and depth via the draft that's just as good as our starters (or darn close to it).

I'm not seeing that as impossible given our draft needs and the draft market this year.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:28 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
frankcal20 wrote:Carriker should start over Jenkins at DE

Yes, but it all depends on how effective he is post-injury.
Additionally, Jenkins will be 2 years into recovery from his ACL, and will have had a full off-season to recover his leg strength and explosion... he should be improved, and more competitive on the D line.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

DarthMonk

Re: The Situation so Far: Defense

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:45 pm

Deadskins wrote:
"But I'm running full speed. I'm working on my 40 [yard dash] and getting my speed back down. I'm doing cutting drills and backpedaling drills."
"It's not hindering me in any way," said Minnifield, who will visit Andrews on Monday for a checkup. "My right knee is giving me no problems. It's doing better than my left leg. I feel really good about my situation. Going through it one time made the second time a lot easier. I knew what the possible outcome could be."

Sounds familiar.

Didn't Minnifield have the surgery several months before Griff? Who is probably healthier now? If we project Griff to start then I'm thinking the same for Chase.

Actually, with any kind of pass rush at all Wilson and Minnifield should show to be an excellent CB tandem. Depth is the real issue.

Same goes for safety ... as has been said.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:27 am

DarthMonk wrote:Didn't Minnifield have the surgery several months before Griff? Who is probably healthier now? If we project Griff to start then I'm thinking the same for Chase.

Actually, with any kind of pass rush at all Wilson and Minnifield should show to be an excellent CB tandem. Depth is the real issue.

Same goes for safety ... as has been said.

Well, yes and no. Chase is also dealing with that microfracture which, according to the article is potentially still something to worry about... But yes, I agree. You can't bank on Griff being around and then knock Chase at the same time, especially when Chase had many more months to recover.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:52 am

DarthMonk wrote:If we project Griff to start then I'm thinking the same for Chase.

I'm kind of scratching my head on this one. Chase Minnifield is an undrafted kid who hasn't played a down in the NFL, coming off his second ACL surgery. We're going to pencil him in as the second half of an excellent CB tandem? :)

I do love your optimism though!

swine

Postby cowboyhater4life » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:01 am

This years draft is loaded with secondary players. I'm sure they have there eye on a few. Especially with our cap issues this year in FA. w
Winfield is injury prone as stated before and we don't have the money.
R.I.P. Taylor!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:01 am

riggofan wrote:I'm kind of scratching my head on this one. Chase Minnifield is an undrafted kid who hasn't played a down in the NFL, coming off his second ACL surgery. We're going to pencil him in as the second half of an excellent CB tandem? :)

He wouldn't have went undrafted if it wasn't for the microfracture issue. He was projected to go anywhere from late second to the fourth round. You can find a potential starter where he would have been drafted.

That being said, he is unproven but that's the train of thought people are using. They're hoping he returns to top form. We're hoping and believe RGIII will return to top form too, are we not? They both have the chance to return to top form, they both have the chance that they won't...

swine

Postby cowboyhater4life » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:03 am

This years draft is loaded with secondary players. I'm sure they have there eye on a few. Especially with our cap issues this year in FA. w
Winfield is injury prone as stated before and we don't have the money.
R.I.P. Taylor!

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:11 am

Not only is the draft loaded, but the FA pool is ripe with defensive backs.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:02 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
riggofan wrote:I'm kind of scratching my head on this one. Chase Minnifield is an undrafted kid who hasn't played a down in the NFL, coming off his second ACL surgery. We're going to pencil him in as the second half of an excellent CB tandem? :)

He wouldn't have went undrafted if it wasn't for the microfracture issue. He was projected to go anywhere from late second to the fourth round. You can find a potential starter where he would have been drafted.

I don't disagree with that. But that kid still has to prove he can even make the roster this summer, much less be our starting CB. Like I said, I like the optimism, but I hope like crazy the Skins can land even a decent free agent to fill D. Hall's spot.

Chris Luva Luva wrote:We're hoping and believe RGIII will return to top form too, are we not? They both have the chance to return to top form, they both have the chance that they won't...

I guess so. We know what RGIII's top form looks like in the NFL though. Not so sure about the top form of a "shoulda been a third round pick" CB.

Fingers crossed either way. We need some luck this season.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:21 am

Luck is a part of it - we seem to have some of that too :lol:

we also have a group of guys in charge here that have done an outstanding job of finding and adding players that many did not think were very good but that have contributed a lot -AND - while we do have many issues, time and again we've seen players step up and really make the most of their opportunity to be a part of the team

yes, we need to continue to find/identify some players that can show they have a lot to offer

and we need some luck

let's let this thing unfold a little more - patience
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:09 pm

riggofan wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:

I don't disagree with that. But that kid still has to prove he can even make the roster this summer, much less be our starting CB. Like I said, I like the optimism, but I hope like crazy the Skins can land even a decent free agent to fill D. Hall's spot.

Chris Luva Luva wrote:We're hoping and believe RGIII will return to top form too, are we not? They both have the chance to return to top form, they both have the chance that they won't...

I guess so. We know what RGIII's top form looks like in the NFL though. Not so sure about the top form of a "shoulda been a third round pick" CB.

Fingers crossed either way. We need some luck this season.

Yes, we know what RGIII's top form looked like. That's past tense. He has the chance that he won't look like that. Same as Chase. I choose to believe that Chase will pull through, just like I believe RGIII will...

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football