The Situation so Far: Defense

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 4978
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: The Situation so Far: Defense

Postby riggofan » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:29 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Yes, we know what RGIII's top form looked like. That's past tense. He has the chance that he won't look like that. Same as Chase.


Nice job selectively quoting me. What I wrote was: "We know what RGIII's top form looks like in the NFL".

So, no. Its not the "same as Chase." Do you know what Chase Minnifield's top form looks like in the NFL? I don't. Anyway...

---
User avatar
Posts: 18571
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Re: The Situation so Far: Defense

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:59 pm

riggofan wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:Yes, we know what RGIII's top form looked like. That's past tense. He has the chance that he won't look like that. Same as Chase.


Nice job selectively quoting me. What I wrote was: "We know what RGIII's top form looks like in the NFL".

So, no. Its not the "same as Chase." Do you know what Chase Minnifield's top form looks like in the NFL? I don't. Anyway...


I'm not selectively quoting you because I don't disagree with your point of emphasis.

MY POINT is that we can't dismiss one players ability to recover from injury but totally accept anothers... I believe RGIII will fully heal. I also believe Chase will fully heal. I believe that RGIII will resume where he left off. I believe that Chase will resume where he left off which is about a low second round talent. People of that talent level have the potential to start in the NFL. Given our success via the draft under this regime, I believe that they pick good players.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 4978
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Postby riggofan » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:44 pm

I'll buy that argument. Those guys are both young, elite athletes. We should rightly expect them to bounce back.

Looking forward to seeing what our plan "A" is though at CB without Hall, because it isn't Wilson/Minnifield right now!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 2121
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby emoses14 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:25 pm

Perhaps we should wait for more than day 2 of free agency and more than a month prior to the draft before calling our defensive backfield.

Yes, I recognize the title of the thread, but still, right now doesn't imply the answer come 9.5.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 760
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: The Situation so Far: Defense

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:28 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
riggofan wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:
riggofan wrote:I'm kind of scratching my head on this one. Chase Minnifield is an undrafted kid who hasn't played a down in the NFL, coming off his second ACL surgery. We're going to pencil him in as the second half of an excellent CB tandem? :)

I do love your optimism though!


He wouldn't have went undrafted if it wasn't for the microfracture issue. He was projected to go anywhere from late second to the fourth round. You can find a potential starter where he would have been drafted.


I don't disagree with that. But that kid still has to prove he can even make the roster this summer, much less be our starting CB. Like I said, I like the optimism, but I hope like crazy the Skins can land even a decent free agent to fill D. Hall's spot.

Chris Luva Luva wrote:We're hoping and believe RGIII will return to top form too, are we not? They both have the chance to return to top form, they both have the chance that they won't...


I guess so. We know what RGIII's top form looks like in the NFL though. Not so sure about the top form of a "shoulda been a third round pick" CB.

Fingers crossed either way. We need some luck this season.


Yes, we know what RGIII's top form looked like. That's past tense. He has the chance that he won't look like that. Same as Chase. I choose to believe that Chase will pull through, just like I believe RGIII will...


We have a smart FO now. IF RG3 isn't what he used to be, you have Cousins, who btw, is very hungry to improve his game and according to an interview of him from last month, he's been working extremely hard this off season.

I think RG3 is gonna light it up, but we are more than prepared for the worst. Our end goal should be that at every position, we can say the same thing for each starter & backup.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 760
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: The Situation so Far: Defense

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:31 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
riggofan wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:Yes, we know what RGIII's top form looked like. That's past tense. He has the chance that he won't look like that. Same as Chase.


Nice job selectively quoting me. What I wrote was: "We know what RGIII's top form looks like in the NFL".

So, no. Its not the "same as Chase." Do you know what Chase Minnifield's top form looks like in the NFL? I don't. Anyway...


I'm not selectively quoting you because I don't disagree with your point of emphasis.

MY POINT is that we can't dismiss one players ability to recover from injury but totally accept anothers... I believe RGIII will fully heal. I also believe Chase will fully heal. I believe that RGIII will resume where he left off. I believe that Chase will resume where he left off which is about a low second round talent. People of that talent level have the potential to start in the NFL. Given our success via the draft under this regime, I believe that they pick good players.


Isn't Chase running routes etc at this point as well? I mean that's been the talk on here and the news right?

With all that, not sure why there's so much negative talk about him. Sure, I wouldn't fully trust his durability and would find great players to take his place in such a way that he could be a powerful backup. He'd have all the time in the world to heal then. Plus, like I said, he'd be a seamless backup at worst. Pretty ideal situation with that attitude.

---
User avatar
Posts: 18571
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Re: The Situation so Far: Defense

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:13 am

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:With all that, not sure why there's so much negative talk about him.


The fanbase is still afraid of being let down and disappointed.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

the 'mudge
Posts: 14784
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Re: The Situation so Far: Defense

Postby Countertrey » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:27 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:With all that, not sure why there's so much negative talk about him.


The fanbase is still afraid of being let down and disappointed.

And... there really hasn't been that much negative...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

---
User avatar
Posts: 18571
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Re: The Situation so Far: Defense

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:00 am

Countertrey wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:With all that, not sure why there's so much negative talk about him.


The fanbase is still afraid of being let down and disappointed.

And... there really hasn't been that much negative...


There's been A TON of positivity since the day Mike came aboard... But people continued to whine and cry because they're short-sighted. The progress made in the seasons prior to the 12/13 campaign are the reason why we won the NFCE last year.

They refused to acknowledge the progress because it didn't show up in the Win column... Fair enough but even still, people cried and they're crying still. Last off-season everyone felt we had an antrocious line. The season starts and we're on our way to a single season rushing record and OROTY awards... Multiple negative streaks were broken. But.. You know, that isn't good enough for them. It was a fluke apparently, you know, having a top 5 offense. That was a fluke. Yep. We'll be a 3 win team next year.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 2121
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: The Situation so Far: Defense

Postby emoses14 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:01 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:With all that, not sure why there's so much negative talk about him.


The fanbase is still afraid of being let down and disappointed.

And... there really hasn't been that much negative...


There's been A TON of positivity since the day Mike came aboard... But people continued to whine and cry because they're short-sighted. The progress made in the seasons prior to the 12/13 campaign are the reason why we won the NFCE last year.

They refused to acknowledge the progress because it didn't show up in the Win column... Fair enough but even still, people cried and they're crying still. Last off-season everyone felt we had an antrocious line. The season starts and we're on our way to a single season rushing record and OROTY awards... Multiple negative streaks were broken. But.. You know, that isn't good enough for them. It was a fluke apparently, you know, having a top 5 offense. That was a fluke. Yep. We'll be a 3 win team next year.


I agree 100%.

But I can understand the reticence by others. They are having a hard time overcoming the PTSD that most of us suffer from with this team. Some of us see the "right way" (or Shanaplan if you're SJ) finally taking hold and adopt a "boy I can't wait till this all starts coming together because if these are the results from doing the little things right, imagine what will happen when we 1. are not being robbed (literally); 2. have our more seasoning on our draftees; 3. acquire some of the pieces we coudn't previously; 4. add depth at those positions where we are thin and 4. (my favorite) start being able to acquire players who we view as specialists only that can do the 1 or 2 things that we'd like to have and not that we need to score more/get more sacks/special teams bonus, etc."

Others react to their PTSD by never being able to give the team credit, I guess until the win the superbowl, but I'm sure they'll have something negative to say even then. Its a tough way to be a fan, but understandable. How many times they must have thought the franchise was turning the corner only to be let down? They are just waiting for that shoe that always has dropped, to do so again. Records, draft strategy, free agency philosophy, smart moves and, well, reality be damned; they aren't getting fooled again, NO WAY!

Its been 2 years at least of clear progress being made, and quite frankly I think you can go back as far as last year. For the first offseason in forever; I'm unconcerned, and only curious, about the moves we are and aren't making. I trust the decision makers because their track record here and here alone have demanded that trust.

Oh, wrt to the original topic, I'm starting to become hopeful that Deangelo ends up back with us.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

tribe
Posts: 6200
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:02 pm
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:00 am

Ronde Barber anyone........???

Pat Yasinkas of ESPN made a strong case that longtime Buc Ronde Barber could wind up in Washington. There doesn’t seem to be a spot for him in Tampa Bay as they signed Dashon Goldson as a free agent and drafted Mark Barron in the first round in 2012.

Here are some of the reasons to think that Barber and the Redskins are a good fit:

And let’s keep in mind the Redskins were a playoff team last season and look like a contender to be one next season. It’s been a while since Barber’s been on a playoff team, and that could make this scenario tempting.

There are a few other tidbits that could make Washington tempting. Former Tampa Bay coach Raheem Morris is Washington’s secondary coach. Washington general manager Bruce Allen held the same role in Tampa Bay during a good chunk of Barber’s career. Oh, and Washington coach Mike Shanahan already took one icon (John Lynch) out of Tampa Bay back when he was coaching Denver.

As of right now, the 2013 starting safeties likely would be Reed Doughty at free safety and, if his knee is sufficiently healed, Brandon Meriweather at strong. Meriweather’s health will be a season-long concern and Doughty is better suited to a role as a reserve safety and special teams player.



http://www.csnwashington.com/football-w ... t-redskins
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

#14
Posts: 4316
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:50 pm
Location: Louisville KY

Re: The Situation so Far: Defense

Postby yupchagee » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:31 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
riggofan wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:Yes, we know what RGIII's top form looked like. That's past tense. He has the chance that he won't look like that. Same as Chase.


Nice job selectively quoting me. What I wrote was: "We know what RGIII's top form looks like in the NFL".

So, no. Its not the "same as Chase." Do you know what Chase Minnifield's top form looks like in the NFL? I don't. Anyway...


I'm not selectively quoting you because I don't disagree with your point of emphasis.

MY POINT is that we can't dismiss one players ability to recover from injury but totally accept anothers... I believe RGIII will fully heal. I also believe Chase will fully heal. I believe that RGIII will resume where he left off. I believe that Chase will resume where he left off which is about a low second round talent. People of that talent level have the potential to start in the NFL. Given our success via the draft under this regime, I believe that they pick good players.


Minnifield had microfracture surgery, RGIII did not. As I understand things, this is potentially a big difference.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

#######
Posts: 7225
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:13 pm
Location: Washington D.C.

Re: The Situation so Far: Defense

Postby The Hogster » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:53 pm

yupchagee wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:
riggofan wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:Yes, we know what RGIII's top form looked like. That's past tense. He has the chance that he won't look like that. Same as Chase.


Nice job selectively quoting me. What I wrote was: "We know what RGIII's top form looks like in the NFL".

So, no. Its not the "same as Chase." Do you know what Chase Minnifield's top form looks like in the NFL? I don't. Anyway...


I'm not selectively quoting you because I don't disagree with your point of emphasis.

MY POINT is that we can't dismiss one players ability to recover from injury but totally accept anothers... I believe RGIII will fully heal. I also believe Chase will fully heal. I believe that RGIII will resume where he left off. I believe that Chase will resume where he left off which is about a low second round talent. People of that talent level have the potential to start in the NFL. Given our success via the draft under this regime, I believe that they pick good players.


Minnifield had microfracture surgery, RGIII did not. As I understand things, this is potentially a big difference.


+1
SPIT HAPPENS!!
___________________________

+++++++++
Posts: 5225
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:21 am

Postby Skinsfan55 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:59 am

Can we at least just agree that if Minnefield makes any contribution to the 2013 Redskins it will be a huge miracle?
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16252
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:11 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:Can we at least just agree that if Minnefield makes any contribution to the 2013 Redskins it will be a huge miracle?

I don't know about being a miracle, but it would definitely be a nice surprise.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football