Defensive Backs

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Defensive Backs

Postby Morgan33 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:19 pm

Wilson is our only starting Corner right now... We have Crawford who started to show potential towards the end of the year, I think he is more of a nickle though.

Has anyone heard what is happening with Chase Minnefield. He went through rehab last year and I havent heard anything about him.

What about trying to sign Brent Grimes, He could start for a couple years and develope the other two (Crawford and Minnifield)

We also need to sign Fred Davis! Niles Paul is ok but other than that, its Davis or draft a TE....

the 'mudge

Re: Defensive Backs

Postby Countertrey » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:34 pm

Morgan33 wrote:Wilson is our only starting Corner right now... We have Crawford who started to show potential towards the end of the year, I think he is more of a nickle though.

Has anyone heard what is happening with Chase Minnefield. He went through rehab last year and I havent heard anything about him.

What about trying to sign Brent Grimes, He could start for a couple years and develope the other two (Crawford and Minnifield)

We also need to sign Fred Davis! Niles Paul is ok but other than that, its Davis or draft a TE....

From another thread...

http://washingtonexaminer.com/redskins- ... le/2522977

"But I'm running full speed. I'm working on my 40 [yard dash] and getting my speed back down. I'm doing cutting drills and backpedaling drills."
"It's not hindering me in any way," said Minnifield, who will visit Andrews on Monday for a checkup. "My right knee is giving me no problems. It's doing better than my left leg. I feel really good about my situation. Going through it one time made the second time a lot easier. I knew what the possible outcome could be."
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:41 pm

The definition of an optimist is someone who thinks Chase Minnefield is a legitimate option to start alongside Josh Wilson. I mean, Jesus Christ.

That must be why the team is making CB their top priority and they're doing everything they can to bring in Aquib Talib.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:31 pm

we are over 25 weeks from seeing who is starting at CB ..

IMO these guys will have a back 7 that will be effective against the pass this coming season

we're a little handcuffed about what we can do ... these guys will come through for us = PATIENCE
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:41 pm

SkinsJock wrote:we are over 25 weeks from seeing who is starting at CB ..

IMO these guys will have a back 7 that will be effective against the pass this coming season

we're a little handcuffed about what we can do ... these guys will come through for us = PATIENCE

That's the key....PATIENCE.

We haven't even allowed the FA market to cool down enough to begin getting bargain signings with higher end players. Not to mention the DRAAAAAAAAAAAFT that is packed with DBs.

We've signed a couple o-line players and have LeRib as a backup still (who was looking pretty good last year). There's a really good chance we have 80% of our o-line issues resolved. MUCH better than last year.

Now we just need DBs...emphasis on NEED. Even with that, you have two players coming back from injury that could very well change things. Pass rushers returning to make QBs look like Romo...I mean when is the last time we've ever been in a situation that looked this good?

Don't get me wrong, we have a lot of returning injured players that I don't feel we should be relying on. Get the most out of them that you can, but continually look for the next great thing at those positions.

As an area of absolute needs. We have 7 choices to fill 2 major position needs. Just one upgrade in each of those positions will have us better than last year by far (yes I know we need more than one Safety & CB).

That means to upgrade an ALREADY upgraded defense, we need to have a success rate of 28.6%. Doesn't look too bad anymore does it?

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:50 pm

Well not just patience. We need to either draft or aquire some more DBs. We had a saftey who was hurt in his first game and another who was suspended. So If both those players return to full health it will help a whole lot. Still I would fell more assured drafting a player who can start at CB or S for the next ten years.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:17 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:The definition of an optimist is someone who thinks Chase Minnefield is a legitimate option to start alongside Josh Wilson. I mean, Jesus Christ.

That must be why the team is making CB their top priority and they're doing everything they can to bring in Aquib Talib.

I have no idea what your point is, here, in the context of the question posed... I do find it interesting that you identified yourself as an optimist in another thread...

ok... actually, I thought it was funny as hell... but whatever...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:44 pm

Countertrey wrote:
Skinsfan55 wrote:The definition of an optimist is someone who thinks Chase Minnefield is a legitimate option to start alongside Josh Wilson. I mean, Jesus Christ.

I have no idea what your point is, here, in the context of the question posed... I do find it interesting that you identified yourself as an optimist in another thread...

ok... actually, I thought it was funny as hell... but whatever...

+1
SPIT HAPPENS!!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:11 am

We have options, thats about all we know.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby aswas71788 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:07 pm

Gee, I remember this same discussion last year but it was about the running back not the defensive back position. I cannot imagine Shanahan not having a plan.

We all have to admit that the team is better than when he first came. Not saying he has been perfect but he is moving in the right direction.

From last in the division (what? 3 years running) and the NFL symbol of idiocy to -> TA DA!!!!!! Division Champions.

Hummm, must have a plan somewhere.

piglet

Postby Bee_Skins_Fan » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:48 pm

aswas71788 wrote:Gee, I remember this same discussion last year but it was about the running back not the defensive back position. I cannot imagine Shanahan not having a plan.

We all have to admit that the team is better than when he first came. Not saying he has been perfect but he is moving in the right direction.

From last in the division (what? 3 years running) and the NFL symbol of idiocy to -> TA DA!!!!!! Division Champions.

Hummm, must have a plan somewhere.

Agreed, the 'skins are much improved since Shanny came.

Anybody with a slight interest in the 'skins knows that last year was truly an uncommon year for injuries to the defense.

The draft is loaded on db's & te's.

Regardless of what happens with the rest of F/A, I'm confident that the team will actually be improved in most areas.

We cannot discount that this team got younger over the last 2 years and that they will now be another year wiser. Add to that the stability to the coaching staff and I think it all adds up pretty nicely !

HHTR!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:06 pm

I know his injury was a bit more "severe" (quoting news sources), but are we expecting to get any production out of Jordan Bernstine this year or is he pretty much done?

Kinda seemed like his injury indicated a longer recovery time or perhaps even the something worse :?

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:17 pm

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:I know his injury was a bit more "severe" (quoting news sources), but are we expecting to get any production out of Jordan Bernstine this year or is he pretty much done?

Kinda seemed like his injury indicated a longer recovery time or perhaps even the something worse :?

Don't think it was any worse then rgiiis
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:23 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:I know his injury was a bit more "severe" (quoting news sources), but are we expecting to get any production out of Jordan Bernstine this year or is he pretty much done?

Don't think it was any worse then rgiiis

So IF everyone is doing well in their recover/ready for 2013 pre-season, that gives us (from off the top of my head here) 3 returning DBs.

Though they were all off to a good start, all three need to proof themselves, but it seems there's reason to have faith in them.

I really hope we get Talib. Draft would be a lot simpler for us w/ depth being top priority (though not the only priority).

piglet

Postby rg3togarcon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:45 pm

Well we arent getting Talib. So we will be turning towards the draft or maybe getting a cheap DB. I hope we can still get D Hall back. Just to have him as a slot man. Any word on any potential secondary signings? Antoine Winfield, Woodson or anyone?
Last edited by rg3togarcon on Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football