Fred Davis (resign him now)

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:02 pm

OK, so your point then, Skins, is that I shouldn't worry about the ability to pay Fred Davis because Eric Schaffer is literally a genius with the cap? I've read 1nik make this point a few times before andI get it. But the problem that I have with this line of logic is a variable of the time it takes to work out the contracts with the already signed guys (restructuring) and to work out the contract with Fred all while beating some other team to the punch. That's why I was not worried 2 days ago, but am now.

The logic that 1nik has in that article does a much better job of calming my fear of signing our draft picks and going after 1 free agent who isn't being actively sought early in Free Agency. I'm not sure it works as well for Fred, who I presume is a sought after commodity. I hope I'm wrong about that. And I hope I'm wrong about the fact that money under a salary cap is inelastic. Robbing Peter to pay Paul eventually catches up. Now for us that would only happen in the margins because of Shaffer's abilities. MY FEAR is that the margin it catches up to us in is Davis' contract.

It just can't be as simple as "Mike and Bruce want him, so he stays." If that were really the case, Bruce Allen wouldn't have called an entire press conference to do nothing but (justifiably) complain.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:32 pm

[sarcasm]Stop worrying... they already have his replacement on the roster...

now, if only they can teach Niles Paul to actually catch the ball...[/sarcasm]
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:36 pm

Countertrey wrote:[sarcasm]Stop worrying... they already have his replacement on the roster...

now, if only they can teach Niles Paul to actually catch the ball...[/sarcasm]

Shoot. My bad, I forgot.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:01 pm

It's simple for me :lol:

IF Davis is really valued by Mike & Kyle they will make him an offer that is fair for him to stay

IF Davis goes to another team that offers him a little bit more - more power to him - see ya

Mike & Kyle will find a way with Shafter's assistance to keep the players they really want - at this time most players we REALLY want are finding ways to stay

I hope Davis stays - he will be paid well - and he will be in the playoffs ... maybe even the Super Bowl :lol:

this offense will NOT be hurt by him not being here anymore than it will be a whole lot better if he stays
Hail to the Redskins

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:18 pm

Sooooooo..... What's the latest rumor? He still a redskin?
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:59 pm

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... ous_a.html

Alls I could dig up, but its a little old already... He says we wants to win, so to me that's a for sure no for the Browns, and he will take a couple mill less to stay.. if he's a man of his word.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:01 pm

OTOH... he grew up a Browns fan... and... dey be lookin' for payback after losing the RG3 sweepstakes...

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:18 pm

Ahhhh!!!!

I think there needs to be hogs.net 12 Step group. Can't go 10mins w/out hitting refresh on here :evil:

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:56 pm

From all we've heard and there's a LOT of trash out there .. it looks as though the only choice for Fred Davis is Cleveland or Washington

Due to the injury it's safe to say that he's looking at a 1 year deal

I think we will see Fred Davis come back here for a year and try and make a better deal next time
Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby jmooney » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:55 pm

I think if he re-signs here, he has the option to wait until late pre-season, possibly early regular season before he gets back on the field. "IF" he feels he needs more time to heal. I know the doctors cleared him but, that doesnt make him 100%.

I don't think he will have that luxury with another team. he will be expected to go for OTA's and training camp to learn a new system and "earn" his new contract.

That could be the deciding factor if the money is close.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:21 pm

jmooney wrote: I don't think he will have that luxury with another team. he will be expected to go for OTA's and training camp to learn a new system and "earn" his new contract.

... and, set his alarm clock... :twisted:

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:27 pm

Countertrey wrote:OTOH... he grew up a Browns fan... and... dey be lookin' for payback after losing the RG3 sweepstakes...

Plus their replacement for drafting RGIII was an alleged superstar who got overshadowed by a no-name, blue collar 6th rounder. :shock:

They've been overcompensating ever since losing the RGIII sweepstakes, IMO. If you look at how they drafted and how they have been players in the FA market. I don't think it's going to turn out very well for them.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:00 pm

I'm ok with losing Davis off it means we can sign a capable to start CB. I'm more comfortable with Paulsen and Paul at TE than I with Minifield our whom ever at CB. More comfortable with who we have at TE than CB, RT, or FS!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:50 pm

sorry sf33 - I kind of disagree with you ... :twisted:

this is a case of having your cake and eating it too ... :lol:

Davis is staying because despite what some may think - we're much better off at TE with him - we're only OK at TE without him - END OF STORY

we also will find a way to both have a decent RT and fix the defensive secondary which is the paramount need right now
we're adding players through free agency and the draft that will continue to be an impact and provide depth
Hail to the Redskins

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:36 am

emoses14 wrote:OK, so your point then, Skins, is that I shouldn't worry about the ability to pay Fred Davis because Eric Schaffer is literally a genius with the cap? I've read 1nik make this point a few times before andI get it. But the problem that I have with this line of logic is a variable of the time it takes to work out the contracts with the already signed guys (restructuring) and to work out the contract with Fred all while beating some other team to the punch. That's why I was not worried 2 days ago, but am now.

The logic that 1nik has in that article does a much better job of calming my fear of signing our draft picks and going after 1 free agent who isn't being actively sought early in Free Agency. I'm not sure it works as well for Fred, who I presume is a sought after commodity. I hope I'm wrong about that. And I hope I'm wrong about the fact that money under a salary cap is inelastic. Robbing Peter to pay Paul eventually catches up. Now for us that would only happen in the margins because of Shaffer's abilities. MY FEAR is that the margin it catches up to us in is Davis' contract.

It just can't be as simple as "Mike and Bruce want him, so he stays." If that were really the case, Bruce Allen wouldn't have called an entire press conference to do nothing but (justifiably) complain.

From what I hear....

Talib signed with the Pats for 1yr/$5M with a 3yr/$17M deal on the table...

Talib signed with the Pats for 1yr/$5M while the Skins were trying to come up with a plan to clear cap space.

Time IS a factor, it the player is on the market to long his value drops,,, this good for the Skins but if a player has more than one offer on the table and the money is close they aren't waiting :cry:
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football