Free Agent Thread

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:30 am

fetus wrote:
1niksder wrote:
fetus wrote:I did not know that Edleman was a FA, well then I would def spend less money on Edleman and forget about Amendola.

If we could keep Edleman and Tana on the roster together that would be great, let him learn from Moss for the 2 years that Moss could possibly have left.

My whole cutting Moss theory is just that, i don't want Santana to go but was just saying this because of his age. He did show that he still has what it takes to be an effective slot receiver, this past season

?He had a QB last year, over the years when you named "weapons" on the Redskins roster... if you named Moss I bet there wasn't a QB in the group.

I'm not grasping what you are trying to tell me here....

:D I'm not trying to tell you anything... just agreeing with you.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:12 pm

A little frustrating on the patience side of things, but we might be waiting a little longer than we expected.

Per Shanny's presser on 3/11 (redskins.com), he suggested (paraphrasing) that they weren't going to be considering much more FA signings until later in the draft where they see where they are.

Secondly, with that comment and Shanny's other comment on not being able to properly evaluate Davis until later in the spring, we might not even see us re-signing Davis until a bit later. They were saying that he could take up to a year to be ready which in that worse-case situation would put him in around week 7.

Anyway not being negative, just thinking out loud to take care of my own expectations to avoid disappointment.

Let us all be reminded that Shanahan rarely makes mistakes in the draft & FA. At worst, we're just gonna have to wait a bit longer for our future signings. At least we know we have options to plug up holes this year.

With what Davis said about wanting to be happy, hopefully the FO can keep sweet talking him to be patient and hold out for us.

Perhaps we might even get D. Hall back at a good price.

My God, what's become of me?? I'm wanting us to get Davis & Hall back :shock: Never thought I'd see the day :lol:

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:29 pm

^^ g'day - I think a part of you're post is correct ...

there's a good chance we'll see Davis playing in B&G on opening day and a slightly less than good chance we'll see Hall on the roster on opening day

1 thing we all know - the ONLY time Mike Shanahan is lying about his players IS when he's discussing them with the media or the fans
apart from those few times, he's just stretching the truth ... a little :roll:
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:26 pm

SkinsJock wrote:^^ g'day - I think a part of you're post is correct ...

there's a good chance we'll see Davis playing in B&G on opening day and a slightly less than good chance we'll see Hall on the roster on opening day

1 thing we all know - the ONLY time Mike Shanahan is lying about his players IS when he's discussing them with the media or the fans
apart from those few times, he's just stretching the truth ... a little :roll:

I hope so my friend. Can't wait to see our latest cap #'s.

Would love to see us get Davis & a good CB before the draft, but we'll just have to wait & see

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:35 pm

The Redskins are going to have to really role the dice on guys in order to field a competitive team. It got me thinking. Who's a guy out there who fills a spot for us, was a mega huge talent but is going to need to take a 1 year "prove it" deal at the minimum for next season?

It's Kellen Winslow Jr!

Seriously, if we miss out on Davis... why not Winslow? He was an elite talent. Shanahan knows TE's. He molded Shannon Sharpe. Isn't Winslow the type of guy who represents a good risk? The Patriots sure thought so.

Winslow would have an opportunity to earn playing time here. He could show his stuff before cashing in. A prove it deal would be perfect for both sides.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:22 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:The Redskins are going to have to really role the dice on guys in order to field a competitive team. It got me thinking. Who's a guy out there who fills a spot for us, was a mega huge talent but is going to need to take a 1 year "prove it" deal at the minimum for next season?

It's Kellen Winslow Jr!

Seriously, if we miss out on Davis... why not Winslow? He was an elite talent. Shanahan knows TE's. He molded Shannon Sharpe. Isn't Winslow the type of guy who represents a good risk? The Patriots sure thought so.

Winslow would have an opportunity to earn playing time here. He could show his stuff before cashing in. A prove it deal would be perfect for both sides.

How far below the cap at we currently and what is his approximate "worth"?

I think w/ the exception of Davis & Hall, Shanahan has checked out of the FA market until "midway through the draft". Check out his press conference on redskins.com for 3/11; he implies his reliance on the upcoming draft.

I'd like to see it happen sooner, but Shanahan also mentioned the FO wouldn't be able to see where Davis truly is until half way into Spring.

Might see something sooner, but seems more likely that we won't see much more this year besides the draft.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:27 am

2 things - We're most likely getting Davis back - this team is not in dire straits

Davis: - because of his injury, I doubt he's getting a contract big enough to entice him to leave - His best contract is the next one (NOT this one) - he stays to earn it

current status: - the team primarily needs to address the secondary & the RT - that can happen w/FA additions + the draft
PLUS - players we currently have stepping it up a notch

we're not in great shape but we are better off than we were last pre-season and that was a team that got better as the regular season went on DESPITE some bad injuries
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:23 pm

SkinsJock wrote:2 things - We're most likely getting Davis back - this team is not in dire straits

Davis: - because of his injury, I doubt he's getting a contract big enough to entice him to leave - His best contract is the next one (NOT this one) - he stays to earn it

current status: - the team primarily needs to address the secondary & the RT - that can happen w/FA additions + the draft
PLUS - players we currently have stepping it up a notch

we're not in great shape but we are better off than we were last pre-season and that was a team that got better as the regular season went on DESPITE some bad injuries

Only "concerning" news I've heard about us resigning Davis is that "both sides are far apart financially." After all his talk about happiness over money, I hope he isn't asking for too much.

If its strictly in the context of our cap situation, I understand.

Source is here, paragraph 11:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/re ... story.html

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:43 pm

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
Skinsfan55 wrote:The Redskins are going to have to really role the dice on guys in order to field a competitive team. It got me thinking. Who's a guy out there who fills a spot for us, was a mega huge talent but is going to need to take a 1 year "prove it" deal at the minimum for next season?

It's Kellen Winslow Jr!

I think w/ the exception of Davis & Hall, Shanahan has checked out of the FA market until "midway through the draft". Check out his press conference on redskins.com for 3/11; he implies his reliance on the upcoming draft.

I'd like to see it happen sooner, but Shanahan also mentioned the FO wouldn't be able to see where Davis truly is until half way into Spring.

Might see something sooner, but seems more likely that we won't see much more this year besides the draft.

+1

And, this is the smart way to approach it. See what happens in the Draft. What player(s) fall to the Redskins that perhaps they have rated highly. Then make a measured decision on any free agents to supplement the roster going into training camp.

I read that the Redskins are talking to Rex Grossman's agent.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:17 am

The Hogster wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:

It's Kellen Winslow Jr!

+1

And, this is the smart way to approach it. See what happens in the Draft. What player(s) fall to the Redskins that perhaps they have rated highly. Then make a measured decision on any free agents to supplement the roster going into training camp.

I read that the Redskins are talking to Rex Grossman's agent.

Yeah I still think Rex is valuable to us. Not sure how expensive he'll be, but as a third string QB (second if RG3 isn't ready), I don't suspect he'd be too bad.

Unless there's a better option around the same price.

We could have him fill in for Cousins, you know, do some ol read option, all of us sitting back on the couch w/ popcorn temporarily routing for the linebacker closing in on him :lol:

Dude can play decent in short time frames though. I was always frustrated with his consistency.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:21 am

as posted - EJ Biggers (ex of TB Bucaneers) is coming in ...

RiC pointed out that this CB was added to provide 'competition' ...

I will add that there is going to a lot of players coming in to 'compete' for spots on this roster - THAT's A GOOD THING

other than you know who - there is going to be a helluva fight amongst a lot of new and older players for a spot on the 53 man roster of the Washington Redskins

This is a good place to be .... :lol:

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:53 am

SkinsJock wrote:as posted - EJ Biggers (ex of TB Bucaneers) is coming in ...

RiC pointed out that this CB was added to provide 'competition' ...

I will add that there is going to a lot of players coming in to 'compete' for spots on this roster - THAT's A GOOD THING

other than you know who - there is going to be a helluva fight amongst a lot of new and older players for a spot on the 53 man roster of the Washington Redskins

This is a good place to be .... :lol:

Yep, no dead weight

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:21 pm

Redskins sign RB Ike Williams from Baylor University. 6-0 203 LBS, 4.4 40, 21 reps of 225 on the bench.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Pacman Rules

Postby gay4pacman » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:32 pm

helu stays healthy and he can be the 3rd down guy but looks like competition for royster and helu. someone needs to step up in this group besides alf.
I know this guy named Jimmy, he has a pet....POSTERNUTBAG! Thats his cats name, POSTERNUTBAG!!!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:12 am

gay4pacman wrote:helu stays healthy and he can be the 3rd down guy but looks like competition for royster and helu. someone needs to step up in this group besides alf.

He's a long shot though (Williams). Hopefully it works out; he has great speed.

As much as I'd like to see Helu come back, its difficult to feel hopeful about his longevity. I'd rather us pick up someone new and durable.

Return to General Manager's Office