Fred Davis (resign him now)

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:38 am

You know what ????

I do not care about Fred Davis anymore. And, yes, his desire to be paid what he does not deserve is part of it. But I just do not have a good feeling about his oncoming performance this year.

THINK about it, all this guy has done over the last two seasons is being suspended for substance abuse ... and then got hurt when he was "about to have" hit his break out season with us. His POTENTIAL success for receiving yards in HIS record during the past season could only have been explained due to two names: RGIII and Alfred Morris.

What this guy is selling is POTENTIAL.

That potential has A LOT more possibility to come to a successful realisation in DC with RGIII and Alfred Morris. But I do not think he understands it. He is looking for a short tem payout instead of signing a one-year deal with us. We spoiled him with the franchise tag.

FRANKLY, I do not think this guy is very smart . He will not move ahead as a player in Buffalo. Let him walk. Move on. Save the cap space and choose wisely in the Draft.

You know a player is overpaid and overrated when a teams pays what the player thinks he is worth instead of what the record shows.

Let him walk into the wasteland of another unsuccessful season in Buffalo.

Yes, it is a business and we overpaid with the franchise tag. Time to let another team overpay.

MOVE ON.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:48 am

I feel the same RiC - I am basing our need on POTENTIAL

IF Davis wants a 'payday' more than an opportunity to play with RG3 and what is looking like an improved offense - SEE YA
RG3 needs to learn how to play QB in the NFL so he can take advantage of the weapons he has

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "the things we’re doing are things he’s comfortable with & complement his strengths"

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:56 am

At this stage of his career, we shouldn't be talking about Fred's potential anymore. If he was a free agent on another team, would we consider signing him? I think we'd view him as competition for Paulsen, and nothing more. He obviously wants to be paid starter money, and good starter money at that. We haven't got that money to spend on somebody who we can't really rely on not to do something stupid during the season, or even before.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:56 pm

It's interesting to me how little interest Davis has sparked around the league. I think I overestimated how much teams would pursue him.

I personally still want to see him here, but it's becoming increasingly clear that our cap situation makes that very unlikely. Our only hope lies in the fact that Buffalo is the only other team with any real interest at this point. He might elect to take a short, smaller contract with the Skins, knowing that our offense gives him the chance to put up big numbers, and wait for his chance next year. Personally I wouldn't mind him having his contract year here and seeing him go after that. My 2 cents
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:27 pm

The Bills will host TE Fred Davis for a free-agent visit on Wednesday.

Davis dined with Bills execs Saturday night and will visit the club facility this week. Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Redskins remain interested in re-signing Davis ...

... and the Jets are interested, too. (This is the first time we've seen the Jets linked to Davis.) The Browns no longer appear to be in the running.

Related: Bills, Browns, Jets
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter Mar 24 - 7:23 PM
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:27 pm

These interviews also help create leverage w our fo.. if there is any. So I'm not tripping yet. He got skills but he know he need to earn that payday still, and that he will ball a lot harder with rgiii hitn him in the numbers vs Fitzpatrick or whoever is lobing tosses to him in traffic lmao
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:47 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:... He might elect to take a short, smaller contract with the Skins, knowing that our offense gives him the chance to put up big numbers, and wait for his chance next year. ...

He would have signed ALREADY if he was THAT smart.

He is NOT. He will pursue a better payday in the short term. Naive, yes. Stupid, yes.

But, frankly, is anybody really amazed by the intelligence of the decisions made by this guy? [-X

Think about it? Would YOU leave one of the bst QBs in the NFL for an experiment which can go very wrong in Buffalo at this stage of your career? :roll:

I am almost at the point where I do not mind at all if the Bills take him. I do not want players who would rather play elsewhere.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:19 pm

Redskin in Canada wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:... He might elect to take a short, smaller contract with the Skins, knowing that our offense gives him the chance to put up big numbers, and wait for his chance next year. ...

He would have signed ALREADY if he was THAT smart.

He is NOT. He will pursue a better payday in the short term. Naive, yes. Stupid, yes.

But, frankly, is anybody really amazed by the intelligence of the decisions made by this guy? [-X

Think about it? Would YOU leave one of the bst QBs in the NFL for an experiment which can go very wrong in Buffalo at this stage of your career? :roll:

I am almost at the point where I do not mind at all if the Bills take him. I do not want players who would rather play elsewhere.

I'm having the same thoughts. Perhaps he's even just meeting w/ the Bills in an attempt to manipulate our FO.

Seems like he's talking out of both ends of his mouth; one day he says he wants happiness over money, the next he's looking elsewhere, etc.

Sure, a player should seek what they feel they are worth, but there comes a point in time where you need to get out of denial and ask yourself why you aren't getting the offer you wanted from the team you were hoping to stay with.

In these past two years, he's demonstrated his risk level. When he's on it, he is ON it and one of the best threats. Its difficult to get past that because we all know what he can do at 100% and without his issues.

However, he lacks maturity. Could he change? Sure, but why hasn't this change happened yet? We don't know time to screw around...we want a starting team that can grow together 16 games a year.

I still want Davis, don't get me wrong. However, the offer needs to reflect his recent contributions and risks to the team. I'd give him a lower end 1 year contract loaded with incentives. I'd tell him that if he out performs this contract and meets most of the incentives, he's got a payday waiting for him in 2014.

Anyone...anyone who has a problem with that is thinking short term, and knows deep down they can't keep themselves from repeating the past. Major red flag.

In short, Davis...show us the Davis WE KNOW you are...then we will reward you with a dream contract in 2014. If that's too much for you, you're holding this team back. Go screw around on Buffalo's dime.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:02 pm

^ On the other hand, having snapped an achilles doing nothing but stopping, Fred surely recognizes how fleeting the health of a football player is. I cannot fault him for trying to get what he can... when he can...

I understand it... but, that doesn't mean I have to like it.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:16 pm

Countertrey wrote:^ On the other hand, having snapped an achilles doing nothing but stopping, Fred surely recognizes how fleeting the health of a football player is. I cannot fault him for trying to get what he can... when he can...

If he is frail or risk averse, he better go on Buffalo's dime.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:23 pm

Redskin in Canada wrote:
Countertrey wrote:^ On the other hand, having snapped an achilles doing nothing but stopping, Fred surely recognizes how fleeting the health of a football player is. I cannot fault him for trying to get what he can... when he can...

If he is frail or risk averse, he better go on Buffalo's dime.

Well... one thing is VERY clear at this point... Shanahan and Allen have no intention of overpaying for him.

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:47 am

Good point.

Always found it strange that many NFL players are bankrupt no too long after they leave the league.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:31 pm

I'm thinking that he's signing with either the Jets or Bills for a payday... and, guaranteeing that he will disappear from NFL TE stats...

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:50 pm

Countertrey wrote:I'm thinking that he's signing with either the Jets or Bills for a payday... and, guaranteeing that he will disappear from NFL TE stats...

If he doesn't disappear off a suspension.

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:43 am

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... kins-bills

According to this article, the Bills offer was less than $1 more than the Skins' offer (though the Bills were talking about a two year deal).

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football