Cornerback

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Cornerback

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:30 am

A source tells the Washington Post that E.J. Biggers, Richard Crawford and Chase Minnifield will compete for the starting left corner job.

Josh Wilson is locked in on the right side. We'd consider Biggers the heavy favorite to win this battle as Crawford is undersized and struggled as a rookie. Minnifield may never be able to get over his litany of knee woes. Regardless, Crawford is an excellent bet to stick on the roster thanks to his contributions in the return game. He averaged a whopping 19.5 yards on eight punt returns last year.

Related: E.J. Biggers, Chase Minnifield
Source: Washington Post Mar 27 - 9:40 AM
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:10 pm

Draft Tyrann Mathieu
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:47 pm

That's a nice plan. I like it.

Crawford on special teams is a big plus in my eyes. We'll see if that also gets upgraded through the draft.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:09 pm

Sounds good, our issues are at safety so as long as that improves we have quality depth for CBs and should be an improved unit.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:57 pm

The Hogster wrote:Draft Tyrann Mathieu

this kid may be good but 4 reps at 225.........come on man!!! Start lifting and get stronger.

He ran a 4.50 40 Yard Dash, had 4 reps of 225 pounds, a 34 inch vertical, and a 117 inch broad jump
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

JSPB22

Re: Cornerback

Postby Deadskins » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:37 pm

DarthMonk wrote:A source tells the Washington Post that E.J. Biggers, Richard Crawford and Chase Minnifield will compete for the starting left corner job.

But...but...it would be a huge miracle if Chase could see the field this year. :roll:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:53 pm

Deadskins wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:A source tells the Washington Post that E.J. Biggers, Richard Crawford and Chase Minnifield will compete for the starting left corner job.

But...but...it would be a huge miracle if Chase could see the field this year. :roll:

Huge ... on the order of

Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:39 pm

tribeofjudah wrote:
The Hogster wrote:Draft Tyrann Mathieu

this kid may be good but 4 reps at 225.........come on man!!! Start lifting and get stronger.

He ran a 4.50 40 Yard Dash, had 4 reps of 225 pounds, a 34 inch vertical, and a 117 inch broad jump

That's 3 more than Fred Smoot. And, kid makes plays as a corner, blitzer and returner. We should take him at this bargain.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:46 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

Huge ... on the order of

Moses is rocking the burgundy and gold

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:44 am

Speaking of Chase...

“I feel great, actually,” Minnifield said in a telephone interview. “I’ve been running full speed for almost three months, cutting and everything. There’s basically nothing I can’t do right now.”

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/minnifield-wants-contribute
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:37 am

^^ but, but ... who cares - he wasn't drafted high enough - he cannot possibly help our secondary ... :twisted:
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:03 am

Full article by Tarik Al Bashir

Redskins cornerback Chase Minnifield said Wednesday that his recovery from a torn ACL remains on schedule and that he hopes to participate fully in the team’s offseason program.

“I feel great, actually,” Minnifield said in a telephone interview. “I’ve been running full speed for almost three months, cutting and everything. There’s basically nothing I can’t do right now.”

Minnifield was signed by the Redskins last April as an undrafted free agent out of Virginia and quickly impressed the coaching staff with his football instincts during offseason workouts. But his rookie season got cut short before it ever started; he suffered a torn ACL in his right knee near the end of minicamp in June and missed the entire 2012 season.

It was the second ACL injury Minnifield suffered in that knee. The first injury occurred in 2007, his senior year in high school. Both reconstructions were performed by Dr. James Andrews, the same orthopedist who repaired Robert Griffin III’s knee in January. It is also been reported that Minnifield underwent microfracture surgery on the same knee in January of 2012.

When OTAs begin in mid-May, Minnifield said he expects to be ready to start covering NFL-caliber receivers. But he also said he's not going to force things if he requires additional time to get comfortable.

“I’ll be ready right around then,” said Minnifield, who turns 24 this week. “It will probably be up to me. I probably could do it. But I’m going to make a smart decision. I’m going to base it on how I feel like I’m able to defend NFL receivers, not just being able to run. It’s different when you get out there and try to cover someone who is paid to do this, too.”

With the Redskins’ secondary situation in flux, it’s possible Minnifield could have an important role in 2013. Only two cornerbacks on the roster – E.J. Biggers and Josh Wilson – have starting experience. On Wednesday, the team was scheduled to host 35-year-old veteran Antoine Winfield.

Regardless of the team’s decision on Winfield, Minnifield believes he’ll be in the mix for playing time in the coming months.

They are very optimistic about my situation,” Minifield said, referring to the coaching staff. “They are looking forward to me being healthy. They know that I can play at this level, and play well at this level. I appreciate the opportunity and I definitely feel like I can help the team.

The coaching staff is optimistic about his situation and feel like he can contribute. We all know Skinsfan55 is not on that staff.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:59 am

lmao@moses rockin B&G
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:57 am

The Hogster wrote:Full article by Tarik Al Bashir

Redskins cornerback Chase Minnifield said Wednesday that his recovery from a torn ACL remains on schedule and that he hopes to participate fully in the team’s offseason program.

Minnifield was signed by the Redskins last April as an undrafted free agent out of Virginia and quickly impressed the coaching staff with his football instincts during offseason workouts. But his rookie season got cut short before it ever started; he suffered a torn ACL in his right knee near the end of minicamp in June and missed the entire 2012 season.

It was the second ACL injury Minnifield suffered in that knee. The first injury occurred in 2007, his senior year in high school. Both reconstructions were performed by Dr. James Andrews, the same orthopedist who repaired Robert Griffin III’s knee in January. It is also been reported that Minnifield underwent microfracture surgery on the same knee in January of 2012.

When OTAs begin in mid-May, Minnifield said he expects to be ready to start covering NFL-caliber receivers. But he also said he's not going to force things if he requires additional time to get comfortable.

“I’ll be ready right around then,” said Minnifield, who turns 24 this week. “It will probably be up to me. I probably could do it. But I’m going to make a smart decision. I’m going to base it on how I feel like I’m able to defend NFL receivers, not just being able to run. It’s different when you get out there and try to cover someone who is paid to do this, too.”

With the Redskins’ secondary situation in flux, it’s possible Minnifield could have an important role in 2013. Only two cornerbacks on the roster – E.J. Biggers and Josh Wilson – have starting experience. On Wednesday, the team was scheduled to host 35-year-old veteran Antoine Winfield.

Regardless of the team’s decision on Winfield, Minnifield believes he’ll be in the mix for playing time in the coming months.

They are very optimistic about my situation,” Minifield said, referring to the coaching staff. “They are looking forward to me being healthy. They know that I can play at this level, and play well at this level. I appreciate the opportunity and I definitely feel like I can help the team.

The coaching staff is optimistic about his situation and feel like he can contribute. We all know Skinsfan55 is not on that staff.

Sombody's reading comprehension antennae is off, mine or Rich Tandler's because here is his take on the above quoted El Bashir article:

I get a lot of questions about first-year cornerback Chase Minnifield and my colleague Tarik El-Bashir was able to talk to him on Wednesday. The news was not all that good.

Some have said that Minnifield’s presence makes the cornerback situation less urgent. There were reasons to be skeptical of that before we talked to Minnifield. Now, the doubt is even greater.

Link: http://www.realredskins.com/rich-tandle ... -otas.html

I had a completely different feeling after reading the words in El Bashir's article and am confused as to how Tandler reaches these conclusions based on the same article.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:06 am

Tandler's blog post is more opinion than journalism. The Al Bashir article delivers quotes from the source. Whether he makes a full recovery is still up in the air, but Rich Tandler's opinion is no more credible than anyone else's. So, the prudent thing to do is to look at the source. Minnifield and the coaching staff. Both obviously are hopeful that he can recover or else they wouldn't have opted to retain his rights.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football