Fred Davis re-signs with the Redskins

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby Mississippi Hog » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:05 am

2 questions: 1, do we know how much this deal is worth? 2, does anybody know our updated salary cap status after the Davis signing? I cannot find anything else current. The 1 on this site says that we still have 8,000,000 dollars.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:55 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:
cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
cleg wrote:Meh

Seriously? I love Coooooley as much as the next guy, but Fred Davis has a much higher ceiling then CC could have ever hoped for. His last 2 season's , the games he played, he put up top tier TE numbers. If he has the year he's capable of, then we got the season at a discount and he earns a fat pay day. If not, hes washed up we cut him. Either way its a good move.

Must be a joke I didn't get, my bad

It kills me why people denote the fact that Cooley was in fact a top five TE for several years. He had the numbers to prove it.
Davis on the other could have had the numbers in 2011 but couldn't finish the season because he was suspended. He was on a roll last year when until he ripped his Achilles tendon.

Cooley was a top five TE, Davis could be. When Cooley was in his prime, Davis couldn't sniff the starting roll.

I think you misunderstood my post..
Cooooley has been one of my favorite players since he was drafted. On field and off he was just awesome, entertaining, hardnosed, and a true Redskin. However, let's not be naive and think for a sec that his athletical attributes are where Davis' are. Fact is, as I put it, Fred has a higher ceiling, peak, potential, what ever u want to call it. Has he done as much yet? No. Cooley is statistically the best TE the franchise has ever fielded... But Davis CAN be that guy is all.
No knock to CC and no sure fire thing that FD lives up to his potential either. Jus sayin this move is a no brainer, especially if he has that season we know he can.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:06 am

Mississippi Hog wrote:2 questions: 1, do we know how much this deal is worth? 2, does anybody know our updated salary cap status after the Davis signing?
I cannot find anything else current. The 1 on this site says that we still have 8,000,000 dollars.

^^ THAT'S BS - not sure where some here are 'looking' ... :roll:

iniksder posted this ... YESTERDAY .. in the "Salary Cap" thread in Hog Wash .. imagine that :twisted:

Some of the fixed numbers in my Feb post need to be updated because the cap that reportedly was flat and wasn't going to rise, went up more than I predicted.

Here is what I had a week ago....

With 69 players under contract here are the Redskins Cap numbers

2013 Salary Cap... $131,900,000
Carryover... $4,270,000
CapGate... -$18,000,000
Adjusted Cap Number ...$110,986,000

Cash Floor... 110,271,000
Cash to spend... $23,903,000 - 2013 Signing Bonuses

Rule Of 51,,, $102,141,675 + $31,750
2013 Dead Cap,,, $5,513,560
Cap Space Spent,,, $107,655,235

Space Available $3,299,015

Davis signing is NOT hurting our ability to bring in other FAs and sign draft picks - this FO will continue to do what it takes

For what it's worth .. I'm glad that Fred Davis is back and I hope he has a great year and can get a huge contract next season ...

HOWEVER

THAT may NOT be here - the ONLY way that he get's a huge deal here is to show that he's worth it - this FO is NOT overpaying anyone

I LIKE THAT :D

this FO has shown that the 'Shanaplan' works and that DOES NOT include making the same sort of mistakes that many franchises make by overpaying players

HOPEFULLY - we'll continue to do that when we have $30M plus to spend next season

we need to continue to get faster and younger and let the older players make their huge deals elsewhere ... EXCEPT the very special players and Davis has a long way to go .... IMHO :roll:
Last edited by SkinsJock on Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:06 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:
cleg wrote:Meh

Seriously? I love Coooooley as much as the next guy, but Fred Davis has a much higher ceiling then CC could have ever hoped for. His last 2 season's , the games he played, he put up top tier TE numbers. If he has the year he's capable of, then we got the season at a discount and he earns a fat pay day. If not, hes washed up we cut him. Either way its a good move.

Must be a joke I didn't get, my bad

It kills me why people denote the fact that Cooley was in fact a top five TE for several years. He had the numbers to prove it.
Davis on the other could have had the numbers in 2011 but couldn't finish the season because he was suspended. He was on a roll last year when until he ripped his Achilles tendon.

Cooley was a top five TE, Davis could be. When Cooley was in his prime, Davis couldn't sniff the starting roll.

I think you misunderstood my post..
Cooooley has been one of my favorite players since he was drafted. On field and off he was just awesome, entertaining, hardnosed, and a true Redskin. However, let's not be naive and think for a sec that his athletical attributes are where Davis' are. Fact is, as I put it, Fred has a higher ceiling, peak, potential, what ever u want to call it. Has he done as much yet? No. Cooley is statistically the best TE the franchise has ever fielded... But Davis CAN be that guy is all.
No knock to CC and no sure fire thing that FD lives up to his potential either. Jus sayin this move is a no brainer, especially if he has that season we know he can.

Oh, ok. I guess I did misunderstand. I agree this Davis has the potential to have a year or two better than Cooley, but will never approach his career.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:17 am

I am happy that David is back, but I don't think there is that much of a drop off between him and Paulsen. Now don't get me wrong, I think Davis is much more talented than Paulsen. I still am glad he is back.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:39 am

I agree that the offense is helped by having Davis back but this offense is going to be helped by a bunch of other guys too ...

The O line will be better and we're going to have a 'healthy' Garcon and others back

PLUS

Mike and Kyle are going to get a little 'creative' in how they 'use' RG3 IMO
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:07 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:I am happy that David is back, but I don't think there is that much of a drop off between him and Paulsen. Now don't get me wrong, I think Davis is much more talented than Paulsen. I still am glad he is back.

I'll try to find the article in which I read this but... Paulsen failed to match Davis's numbers in the 9 games he started, while Davis only played 6 games. There's definitely a tangible drop off between the two.

Paulsen is great, he's simply not an explosive player that can make a defense pay. Davis is that and was that. Go back and watch the Tampa game.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:16 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:I am happy that David is back, but I don't think there is that much of a drop off between him and Paulsen. Now don't get me wrong, I think Davis is much more talented than Paulsen. I still am glad he is back.

I'll try to find the article in which I read this but... Paulsen failed to match Davis's numbers in the 9 games he started, while Davis only played 6 games. There's definitely a tangible drop off between the two.

Paulsen is great, he's simply not an explosive player that can make a defense pay. Davis is that and was that. Go back and watch the Tampa game.

+1

PLUS - Davis and RG3 seem to work REALLY well together ... AND ... Kyle will also give Davis a lot of chances to have a big year

I think Davis DOES have a huge year and I really believe he can be a very special TE - this is his opportunity to take it to the bank and that would be good for everyone

I don't have the same feeling for the other 2

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby Mississippi Hog » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:32 am

SkinsJock wrote:
Mississippi Hog wrote:2 questions: 1, do we know how much this deal is worth? 2, does anybody know our updated salary cap status after the Davis signing?
I cannot find anything else current. The 1 on this site says that we still have 8,000,000 dollars.

iniksder posted this ... YESTERDAY .. in the "Salary Cap" thread in Hog Wash .. imagine that :twisted:

Thank you for the update. No need to be a jerk about it. I did not have time to browse through all of the threads. and the place I was looking, was the" Salary cap table" under the" Team info" tab on the main page of the website. I would think that that would be a very logical place to look for salary cap table information. I was in my car sitting at a drive thru window when I posted the question last night. So it would have been kind of hard to browse through the entire website for that info.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:36 am

Mississippi Hog wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:

Thank you for the update. No need to be a jerk about it. I did not have time to browse through all of the threads. and the place I was looking, was the" Salary cap table" under the" Team info" tab on the main page of the website. I would think that that would be a very logical place to look for salary cap table information. I was in my car sitting at a drive thru window when I posted the question last night. So it would have been kind of hard to browse through the entire website for that info.

I made a accounting adjustment through the Dead Cap table to correct the bottom line on the cap status until other kinks are worked out...

Still no word on the Davis deal, and until I get more info I've added D. Tapp at the vet min.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:09 pm

Fred Davis' one-year deal is worth up to $3.75M ($1.5M signing bonus, $1M base salary & $1.25M in incentives). $2.5M cap hit in 2013
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Hog

Postby Mississippi Hog » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:32 pm

Thanks for the update. Also, Thanks for being nice about it. I appreciate the hard work you put in to keeping up with all of that stuff.

swine

Postby RG3peat » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:51 pm

Glad he resigned...His choices were Redskins, Bills and Jets and nobody was offering BIG $$$ do to his injury.......Lets see.........Skins have the better QB and better chance at post season....It was a no-brainer for his choice....WORK HARD Davis and get that $$$ NEXT YEAR!

Postby 1niksder » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:51 pm

No problem
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:06 am

Fred Davis (Achilles) expects to be cleared for full activity in June.

Davis tore his left Achilles' tendon during the Week 7 loss to the Giants. He appears to be well ahead of the normal timeline for this injury as he's already running and is expected to be a full participant in training camp. The cap-strapped Redskins' willingness to give him a $1.5M signing bonus shows they're confident Davis will be their starting tight end come Week 1. Logan Paulsen got a $1.1M signing bonus.

Source: Washington Post Apr 2 - 8:41 AM
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football