Great Article on the Skins' offseason

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Great Article on the Skins' offseason

Postby Mississippi Hog » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:52 pm

Read this on ESPN. Great article by the NFC East blogger:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/ ... -pragmatic

08 Champ

Re: Great Article on the Skins' offseason

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:31 am

Mississippi Hog wrote:Read this on ESPN. Great article by the NFC East blogger:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/ ... -pragmatic

THANK YOU - I saw this and am glad that some of the media are 'seeing the light'

Dan Snyder is JUST being the owner and our franchise is better off for it

The Redskins have managed to operate, under difficult circumstances, in a manner that allows them to believe they can defend their title as long as Robert Griffin III can get back on the field following knee surgery. They haven't done anything exciting, because they haven't been able to. But the fact that they've chosen to handle this situation in a prudent and responsible manner -- and the fact that Snyder hasn't stepped in and commanded anyone to do otherwise -- is a strong indication that the Redskins' franchise is in a much better place than it was three years ago.

Things run coolly and intelligently in Ashburn these days. Even when the people in charge have a ready-made excuse to veer from the plan, they appear determined not to do so. And if you're a Redskins fan frustrated by the lack of offseason activity, that has to give you confidence about the direction of the franchise and the way it's being run

WE ARE VERY, VERY FORTUNATE

HTTR

The cap hit is BS but it has forced this FO to spend VERY carefully - I think that has actually helped, in a way

we could very well win the NFC East again but the biggest test is going to come next year when we have a bunch of money to spend ... maybe $30M plus
I hope this FO continues to ONLY keep AND PAY the big contracts to the players that have REALLY earned it AND ... BUILD THRU THE DRAFT

I like it that players don't get paid what they think they're worth - I hope we continue to 'reward' the players that deserve it and let the others go :D
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:34 pm

This team has an exciting young nucleus of players on it. As bad as the cap penalty was (and as unfair), it is demonstrating that our free spending days under Cerrato and Snyder have indeed come to a deserved end.

But...lets not get carried away. We made the moves to get our franchise QB, and he turned out to be far better than most of us ever envisioned. As long as he returns this season, fully recovered and healthy, then all will be good.

Also, I was not thrilled with the way Zo claimed to have been treated. This was someone who I thought was an important member of our team, both on the field and within the locker room. Thought he deserved a bit better than he claimed the team gave for him.
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:39 pm

Keyword- *most.
Some of us envisioned exactly what we got- the new breed of qbs, and an extremely gifted rare talent.

Zo? F him. He got told he isn't starting caliber talent... And he still isn't. Two sides to that story,the other side paints him as a money grubbing me first hater who turned down a (cap strapped) More then FAIR offer. It is what it is- peace out OMG
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:36 pm

I don't see how we've improved the team so far this off-season. We've probably lost more than we've gained: Jackson, Hall, Zo. Trueblood is shaky at best and we already had Fred, though most are reacting to his coming back as if it were an addition. The best news is that injuries may be healed. If not, we lose the division, in spite of the fact that our competition sucks. At this point I'm praying for a great safety to show up in the draft. Now, that would make a difference. My prayers for Harvin didn't work.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:43 pm

crazyhorse1 wrote:I don't see how we've improved the team so far this off-season. We've probably lost more than we've gained: Jackson, Hall, Zo. Trueblood is shaky at best and we already had Fred, though most are reacting to his coming back as if it were an addition. The best news is that injuries may be healed. If not, we lose the division, in spite of the fact that our competition sucks. At this point I'm praying for a great safety to show up in the draft. Now, that would make a difference. My prayers for Harvin didn't work.

Lol, we don't win the free agency bowl and now we are doomed?
Couldn't buy a sb then, what's changed? Not saying I would hate adding harvin but let's be real, dream teams usual don't pan out....
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:18 pm

crazyhorse1 wrote:The best news is that injuries may be healed. If not, we lose the division, in spite of the fact that our competition sucks.

:roll:
We'll be at least as good as last season, and arguably better with the O-line having a year together under their belts, and RGIII and Morris no longer rookies. In addition to having several players back, others will now have had that year of play since a major injury that it seems to take to really get back to their former performance levels. We have more depth, which is crucial, because we all know there will be new injuries this year. I don't see the doom and gloom you do. I say 11-5, NFC East champs again, and possibly a bye.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:52 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
crazyhorse1 wrote:I don't see how we've improved the team so far this off-season. We've probably lost more than we've gained: Jackson, Hall, Zo. Trueblood is shaky at best and we already had Fred, though most are reacting to his coming back as if it were an addition. The best news is that injuries may be healed. If not, we lose the division, in spite of the fact that our competition sucks. At this point I'm praying for a great safety to show up in the draft. Now, that would make a difference. My prayers for Harvin didn't work.

Couldn't buy a sb then, what's changed? Not saying I would hate adding harvin but let's be real, dream teams usual don't pan out....

If Garcon, Davis, Orakpo, and RG!!! show up gimpy and stay that while for any length of time, we lose. Get real.

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:00 am

Exactly. Because every man is for himself. We're a unit of players growing as a team.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:27 am

crazyhorse1 wrote:

If Garcon, Davis, Orakpo, and RG!!! show up gimpy and stay that while for any length of time, we lose. Get real.

I'll give you RGIII, but the others? Not so much.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:07 pm

Deadskins wrote:
crazyhorse1 wrote:

:lol: we don't win the free agency bowl and now we are doomed?
Couldn't buy a sb then, what's changed?
Not saying I would hate adding Harvin but let's be real, dream teams usually don't pan out....

I'll give you RGIII, but the others? Not so much.

The reality is that the only player that we really need to come back in decent shape is RG3
there's a chance that he's not as good as he was but there's a better chance that he's faster and much more aware of what he has to do

any team is hurt by injuries - why look at it from that perspective - that's really very negative

I will be very surprised if the offense is not subtly different than we saw last season to take advantage of RG3's speed, passing and the experience gained from last season

I think the defense is helped by players returning from injury and it's hard to imagine the pass defense will not be better than it was

we have a lot to look forward to :lol:
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:31 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Zo? F him. He got told he isn't starting caliber talent... And he still isn't. Two sides to that story,the other side paints him as a money grubbing me first hater who turned down a (cap strapped) More then FAIR offer. It is what it is- peace out OMG

I don't get this at all. Lorenzo Alexander was as true a Redskin as we've had around here the past few years and a fan favorite for good reason. He got a chance to earn a little more for his family and a real chance to prove he can be a starter in the league for real. I wish him the best, just wish he was able to do it here in DC.

Postby yupchagee » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:52 pm

crazyhorse1 wrote:

We won with Davis & Orakpo on IR last year.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:22 pm

riggofan wrote:
cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Zo? F him. He got told he isn't starting caliber talent... And he still isn't. Two sides to that story,the other side paints him as a money grubbing me first hater who turned down a (cap strapped) More then FAIR offer. It is what it is- peace out OMG

I don't get this at all. Lorenzo Alexander was as true a Redskin as we've had around here the past few years and a fan favorite for good reason. He got a chance to earn a little more for his family and a real chance to prove he can be a starter in the league for real. I wish him the best, just wish he was able to do it here in DC.

Well now my quote is out of context.. I never disputed any of that, just pointed out we made him a fair offer for his services and he declined. He may fade into the shadows or maybe he blooms into the starter. He wasn't one here, and we weren't in a position to pay him starter caliber monies. I wish him the best, but disagree with him being mistreated... He wouldn't have been the only vet to return for less money for his family then he felt he could get.. He mighta been a "true redskin" like moss and Cooley and Fletcher, but like Hall he isn't anymore.

piggie

Postby burgngold4life » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:52 am

Verrry good read here.

I very much enjoy the fact we're not making headlines for bonehead offseason moves... & that the regime is quietly keeping most of the team intact.

13' should be an awesome year for us.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football