Great Article on the Skins' offseason

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:38 am

riggofan wrote:
cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Zo? F him. He got told he isn't starting caliber talent... And he still isn't. Two sides to that story,the other side paints him as a money grubbing me first hater who turned down a (cap strapped) More then FAIR offer. It is what it is- peace out OMG

I don't get this at all. Lorenzo Alexander was as true a Redskin as we've had around here the past few years and a fan favorite for good reason. He got a chance to earn a little more for his family and a real chance to prove he can be a starter in the league for real. I wish him the best, just wish he was able to do it here in DC.

And that would have been fine if he had just said that. But he made up a bogus story about the team lowering its offer by over a million dollars with no explanation. Maybe the Cardinals called him pretending to be Bruce Allen to seal the deal.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:20 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
riggofan wrote:
cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Zo? F him. He got told he isn't starting caliber talent... And he still isn't. Two sides to that story,the other side paints him as a money grubbing me first hater who turned down a (cap strapped) More then FAIR offer. It is what it is- peace out OMG

I don't get this at all. Lorenzo Alexander was as true a Redskin as we've had around here the past few years and a fan favorite for good reason. He got a chance to earn a little more for his family and a real chance to prove he can be a starter in the league for real. I wish him the best, just wish he was able to do it here in DC.

Well now my quote is out of context.. I never disputed any of that, just pointed out we made him a fair offer for his services and he declined. He may fade into the shadows or maybe he blooms into the starter. He wasn't one here, and we weren't in a position to pay him starter caliber monies. I wish him the best, but disagree with him being mistreated... He wouldn't have been the only vet to return for less money for his family then he felt he could get.. He mighta been a "true redskin" like moss and Cooley and Fletcher, but like Hall he isn't anymore.

Out of context? I'm not sure how you can argue that. "F Zo" is a long way from "I wish him the best, but..." :)

Anyway, I'm not trying to attack you personally or anything. I've just noticed a number of fans sort of turn on Alexander like this. I find it kind of surprising. Zo seems like a guy who wanted to be back, but it just didn't work out.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:26 am

Deadskins wrote:And that would have been fine if he had just said that. But he made up a bogus story about the team lowering its offer by over a million dollars with no explanation. Maybe the Cardinals called him pretending to be Bruce Allen to seal the deal.

Why is that story bogus? I can't find anything claiming that was bogus, and I'm not sure why Alexander would make it up anyway.

This is what the Washington Post reported:

The deal Alexander signed with Arizona is worth $9.5 million over three years and includes $3 million in guaranteed money. The Redskins offer was significantly less. Originally, the team had offered a deal that included $2.6 million in guaranteed money. But on Monday of this week, after the team learned that there was no chance they were recouping any of that $18 million, Alexander said that the offer dropped to $1.4 million. The difference was just too significant.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... -and-easy/

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:05 pm

riggofan wrote:
cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
riggofan wrote:

Well now my quote is out of context.. I never disputed any of that, just pointed out we made him a fair offer for his services and he declined. He may fade into the shadows or maybe he blooms into the starter. He wasn't one here, and we weren't in a position to pay him starter caliber monies. I wish him the best, but disagree with him being mistreated... He wouldn't have been the only vet to return for less money for his family then he felt he could get.. He mighta been a "true redskin" like moss and Cooley and Fletcher, but like Hall he isn't anymore.

Out of context? I'm not sure how you can argue that. "F Zo" is a long way from "I wish him the best, but..." :)

Anyway, I'm not trying to attack you personally or anything. I've just noticed a number of fans sort of turn on Alexander like this. I find it kind of surprising. Zo seems like a guy who wanted to be back, but it just didn't work out.

Well he had an offer, and he turned it down... Then cried about being treated poorly. So in that regard f him. If he loved the team he'd take what he could knowing we need to tighten up the belt this season with cap gate, not make a fuss about it.
Now I don't blame him for leaving, nor do I let this sum up his career as a skin... But I won't blame the FO or agree he was mistreated. He's a great guy, but replaced pretty easily. Tapp?
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:21 pm

riggofan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:And that would have been fine if he had just said that. But he made up a bogus story about the team lowering its offer by over a million dollars with no explanation. Maybe the Cardinals called him pretending to be Bruce Allen to seal the deal.

Why is that story bogus? I can't find anything claiming that was bogus, and I'm not sure why Alexander would make it up anyway.

The deal Alexander signed with Arizona is worth $9.5 million over three years and includes $3 million in guaranteed money. The Redskins offer was significantly less. Originally, the team had offered a deal that included $2.6 million in guaranteed money. But on Monday of this week, after the team learned that there was no chance they were recouping any of that $18 million, Alexander said that the offer dropped to $1.4 million. The difference was just too significant.

And the Post offers nothing other than "Alexander said" the offer dropped. The Redskins said the offer was never dropped, and Shanahan repeated that at the owners meetings.

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:09 am

Deadskins wrote:
riggofan wrote:

And the Post offers nothing other than "Alexander said" the offer dropped. The Redskins said the offer was never dropped, and Shanahan repeated that at the owners meetings.

LOL. And our FO is always completely forthcoming and honest. Mike Shanahan in particular is well known around the league for transparency.

Anyway. You're free to believe what you want. I just don't see any reason why Lorenzo would invent this story about talking to Allen:

“I even asked Bruce why [the offer] changed, and he said, ‘It’s because of the cap,’ and I got emotional, because this is home. I love the fans, I love the team and the coaches and the guys in that locker room, and the city."

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:24 am

riggofan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
riggofan wrote:

LOL. And our FO is always completely forthcoming and honest. Mike Shanahan in particular is well known around the league for transparency.

Anyway. You're free to believe what you want. I just don't see any reason why Lorenzo would invent this story about talking to Allen:

“I even asked Bruce why [the offer] changed, and he said, ‘It’s because of the cap,’ and I got emotional, because this is home. I love the fans, I love the team and the coaches and the guys in that locker room, and the city."

The Post is always positive concerning the Redskins, too, and never prints rumor and conjecture where a negative about the team exists. :roll:

I think the quote from Zo gives ample motive for him invent a reason to blame the team. You're also free to believe what you want.

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:31 am

the fact is Alexander just could not accept his role here - he was NOT good enough to be a starter

he was great everywhere but just NOT GOOD ENOUGH

Alexander needed to just accept his position and his role as a PART OF THIS TEAM

to leave in the manner that he did is just a shame - get over it
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:38 am

I suspect your tin foil hat is clouding your judgement. :)

I don't see this story as any kind of negative comment on the Redskins either way. Whether from Alexander or the Washington Out To Get the Redskins Post. The Redskins made an initial offer under one set of circumstances. The league shut the door on the salary cap penalty. The team had to make some decisions based on that including changing their offer to Alexander.

Why is that a negative about the Redskins? According to Alexander, Bruce Allen was even honest about what happened. And Alexander says he understood that cap penalty affected their ability to retain him. The only "blame" he is leveling at the team is that they didn't pony up a competitive offer. BFD.

Seriously ,what's the big deal here? I don't see how this is some slanderous pack of outrageous lies against the Redskins.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:42 am

SkinsJock wrote:the fact is Alexander just could not accept his role here - he was NOT good enough to be a starter

Alexander needed to just accept his position and his role as a PART OF THIS TEAM

Seriously??? He was wrong to take more money for a better job somewhere else??? Give me a freaking break. That's not SHAMEFUL. That is the AMERICAN WAY.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:01 am

riggofan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:the fact is Alexander just could not accept his role here - he was NOT good enough to be a starter

Seriously??? He was wrong to take more money for a better job somewhere else??? Give me a freaking break. That's not SHAMEFUL. That is the AMERICAN WAY.

+1

Yeah. He said in an interview that Arizona was prepared for him to start as a Linebacker, and not be as much of a special teams guy. We can't keep everybody, and his loss opens up a place for another hungry young guy to establish himself on Teams.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:11 am

The Hogster wrote:
riggofan wrote:

+1

Yeah. He said in an interview that Arizona was prepared for him to start as a Linebacker, and not be as much of a special teams guy. We can't keep everybody, and his loss opens up a place for another hungry young guy to establish himself on Teams.

THANK YOU.

Absolutely no reason to bash this guy. He played his butt off for us. Like the rest of us, I'm sure he has a family to take care of and bills to pay. I wish he could have stayed a Redskin, but I hope he does well in Arizona.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:23 am

riggofan wrote:
The Hogster wrote:
riggofan wrote:

+1

THANK YOU.

Absolutely no reason to bash this guy. He played his butt off for us. Like the rest of us, I'm sure he has a family to take care of and bills to pay. I wish he could have stayed a Redskin, but I hope he does well in Arizona.

Agree 100% with highlighted portions. Loved Zo, don't care whether the Skins had to adjust the offer or not, and understand that regardless of Skins offer, he wasn't gonna be starting. He'll always be a Redskin to me, without an ounce of bitterness about his departure (contra Carlos Rogers, Lavar Arrington)
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:40 am

riggofan wrote:
The Hogster wrote:
riggofan wrote:

+1

THANK YOU.

Please! You're totally putting words in my mouth. No one is bashing Zo's play here, or even saying he shouldn't have taken the job in Arizona. I only think he made up the story about the Redskins changing their offer so as not to piss off the fans who he will still live amongst in the off-season. This is a matter of he said, she said. Zo and the Post say the Redskins changed their offer, The Redskins (Bruce Allen and Shanahan) say that isn't true. The (original) offer was close to what the Cards offered, though not quite as much money and no starting job. No one can blame him for taking the job, I just don't buy his excuse. I just wish he had come out and said, I got a better offer, and left it at that.

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:03 pm

Deadskins wrote:
riggofan wrote:
The Hogster wrote:
riggofan wrote:

+1

THANK YOU.

Please! You're totally putting words in my mouth. No one is bashing Zo's play here, or even saying he shouldn't have taken the job in Arizona. I only think he made up the story about the Redskins changing their offer so as not to piss off the fans who he will still live amongst in the off-season. This is a matter of he said, she said. Zo and the Post say the Redskins changed their offer, The Redskins (Bruce Allen and Shanahan) say that isn't true. The (original) offer was close to what the Cards offered, though not quite as much money and no starting job. No one can blame him for taking the job, I just don't buy his excuse. I just wish he had come out and said, I got a better offer, and left it at that.
Alexander: "They were offering $2.6 [million guaranteed] with an overall contract of $7.5 million over three years. The next day, they called back and said they would only guarantee $1.4 [million] of that. "

LOL. Its just ludicrous. Not only do you believe that Alexander made up this story. You believe he actually went so far as to make up the actual contract numbers. Ooooooh-kay.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football