Charles Woodson - Free Safety

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
#######

Charles Woodson - Free Safety

Postby The Hogster » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:00 pm

How would people feel about signing Charles Woodson to play Free Safety for a couple of years in front of whoever we draft at that position this year. Not only has he played Free Safety. But, he's obviously experienced playing on the outside and in the slot. He'd offer a ton of flexibility in the secondary, and based on the kinds of deals that veteran Free Agents are getting in the secondary, he would be less expensive than one might think.

Namdi just signed a deal worth $1.5M. D Hall re-signed for $2.5M. There is simply not a lot of money floating around for veteran players in the secondary. And, per Woodson himself, there is little interest in him at this point. I am in favor of getting younger, and think we still draft one or more Safeties this year. But, I am not counting on that player starting right off the bat. I like what Tanard Jackson has to offer, but we won't see him until late in the offseason.

Free agent defensive back Charles Woodson says NFL teams think he’s too old, and that’s why he remains unemployed six weeks after the Packers cut him.

“I’m 36, so of course I’m considered ancient in the game right now, and teams are looking for younger players and trying to make their rosters younger,” Woodson said on NFL AM. “If you’re an older guy they kind of push you to the side, and they’ll maybe look at you much later on down the road, when I guess they figure they can get you much cheaper.”

Woodson says his camp has put out word that he’s interested in finding a new team, but so far that interest hasn’t been reciprocated.

“Nothing right now, nothing substantial. I’m just waiting around. We put feelers out, just to see where everybody’s at, but there’s not much right now,” Woodson said.

The season is still five months away, and there’s still a good chance that some team will bring Woodson in this year. But right now, Woodson is right: 36-year-olds are low priorities for NFL teams.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/05/charles-woodson-im-considered-ancient-teams-arent-calling-me/#comment-2448463
SPIT HAPPENS!!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:32 pm

FULL ENDORSEMENT BASED ON YOUR LOGICS HOGGO.. I LIKE IT!!!
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:08 pm

Woodson is a big play player. He makes a game winning play at least three times a season. That said, I'm not sure how much he has left in the tank. How old is he?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:09 pm

I dunno... I doubt we'll get to the SB this year, so I'd rather give the rookie as much experience as possible.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

#######

Postby The Hogster » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:17 pm

Deadskins wrote:Woodson is a big play player. He makes a game winning play at least three times a season. That said, I'm not sure how much he has left in the tank. How old is he?

He's 36. The same age Rod Woodson was when he helped the Baltimore Ravens win a Superbowl as a Free Safety after a long career as a corner.

Not saying that would happen with us, but I doubt we'd see much over the top being completed on us with him back there. He's seen it all and would make up for whatever steps he's lost with his intelligence, much like Rod did. He has played at a high level the last couple of years. He's in that Champ Bailey, Ronde Barber, Rod Woodson, Darrell Green, London Fletcher category when it comes to his ability to play at a high level for a long time.

I still say draft a Safety, but at least in this scenario that player would not only be able to learn from a HOF'er, but he could play more in spots rather than being relied on to be the last line of defense against NFL receivers.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Return to Around the League